Touring with kids

Telemike

Touring with kids

Postby Telemike » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi all
I've read through the forum on this, but still have a few questions so bear with me.

I have just completed the Murray to Mountains rail trail with my wife and 10yo daughter, with my 7yo son on the back of the tandem. Full camping gear, because that means i get exercise without it being too hard on the kids. And we like it anyway. We took 6days, doing between 18kms on the climb to Beechworth and about 28 on the longest day. It was voted the "best family holiday ever" by my wife and i agree. This is the most recent of my hairbrained schemes that i convince my wife we should do and while they usually are sucessful, this one more than most.

So i'm looking for more options within about 4-5 hours drive of Canberra, bearing in mind the need for maximum distances of up to 35kms absolute maximum per day (preferably some shorter) and fairly flat - the climb to Beechworth was really probably sufficiently challenging for my daughter. Total distances up to about 200kms (a one week tour for us). And quiet roads/railtrails given the children's age and tendancy not to ride straight. We are comfortable riding good dirt roads (actually i took the loaded tandem with bob trailer on some of the easier singletrack down from Beechworth and it was a hoot, but challenging dirt is not suitable for any distance at this stage).

I'm quite attracted to the Murray River. I paddled a kayak from Yarrawonga to Echuca many years ago, but didn't see any of the tracks for obvious reasons. Is any of it suitable, and which sections would be most scenic?

I was also thinking of the Great Victorian Rail Trail, but a couple of sections of it are too long for us between towns. HAppy to bush camp if there are suitable spots.

So can you share some advice with me on these 2 ideas, and any others you might have.

Thanks, Mike

Uncle Just

Re: Touring with kids

Postby Uncle Just » Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I recall reading on CGOAB, a touring site, stories posted by a father who toured with his young son on a tandem around the Goulburn/Canberra areas so I searched for his journals. Links here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/ ... e=journals

It may assist you with some ideas. Good luck.

Telemike

Re: Touring with kids

Postby Telemike » Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks
I had a look through those (and others). His trips with kids were tandem-based, whereas i have one on her own bike, which changes things a bit. Still looking for suggestions, but quite inclined to the murray river as based on CGOSB it seems quite flat. What would be the best flatish stretch of about 200kms through areas where bush camping is available?