Perth to Adelaide - done!

bagelonabike

Perth to Adelaide - done!

Postby bagelonabike » Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 am

Hiya, I've just got back from a brilliant trip to complete a crossing of Aus (done over 3 separate trips) from Perth to Adelaide via cape Leeuwin. The trip has also raised over $5k for Cure Cancer Australia, so have a squiz at http://bagelonabike.blogspot.com.au/ if that interests you...

There is plenty of 2017 info there about roadhouses etc for anyone else planning a similar jaunt. I'm glad I did not attempt this in summer time!!

:mrgreen:

Leaf T

Re: Perth to Adelaide - done!

Postby Leaf T » Fri May 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Will check it out. Well done on all counts!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Well done :!:

Great result for a good cause :!:

I look forward to perusing your blog :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:16 am

Excellent posts. I thoroughly enjoyed the posts detailing the Norseman to Kimba section.

In 2015 I usually did 80 km/day. Smiled wrt Cocklebiddy. You had a much better experience than I had at Nundroo. My experience was the pits!

I stayed overnight at the Iron Knob campsite. When I rolled in I asked at the Post Office about getting a beer and a snack. I had food in my panniers. They said to go to the Bowls Club. Sure enough they had tinnies and chrisps!. I was talking with several locals and the "tarbender" and mentioned I was going to bicycle back and start my stove and cook some food. They asked more about my trip, so I ordered more chrisps and another tinny, then left. I toured around the town and by the time I got back to the campsite these two locals were there waiting for me with a paper plate and microwaved lasagna covered with tinfoil! What a meal! What welcoming hospitality to iron Knob. Totally unexpected :D

Then a camper came by with the offer of tea or coffee. Took the tea - made to order with milk and sugah! Fell asleep quickly (as the days were short in August).

Woke up and was wondering about eating come more (cold) food when I heard a voice: Are you awake? It was the fellow camper with a bowl of HOT oatmeal and a coffee (milk and sugar). I ate it in my Akto then, then brought the bowl and cup back to him and his wife after I washed them in some cold water. They told me about the town and that they had a (hush-hush) work for dole situation in town where locals did tours of mine-sites (abandoned) and the town and asking for a cash "donation". They also had a w-f-d maintenance agreement where locals kept the town clear of rubbish etc and helped with minor facility maintenance.

The tour started at a building with local tourist info and historical "stuff" Excellent tour. I gave a good sum of money as the locals could use it more than me. Onward to Pt. Augusta later that day..

Thank you, OP, for awakening memories of my 2015 crossing :D

bagelonabike

Postby bagelonabike » Fri May 26, 2017 12:43 am

tmac100 wrote: You had a much better experience than I had at Nundroo. My experience was the pits!

:P Haha yes the roadhouse at Nundroo is really bad...strangely there is an awful looking sign for "camping" by the garage on the western side of the roadhouse, you actually have to walk in too where they are repairing vehicles to enquire, not at the roadhouse on the other side. They had cheap (ish) cabins available that were brand new for about $80 a night.
tmac100 wrote: I stayed overnight at the Iron Knob campsite. When I rolled in I asked at the Post Office about getting a beer and a snack. I had food in my panniers. They said to go to the Bowls Club. Sure enough they had tinnies and chrisps!. I was talking with several locals and the "tarbender" and mentioned I was going to bicycle back and start my stove and cook some food. They asked more about my trip, so I ordered more chrisps and another tinny, then left. I toured around the town and by the time I got back to the campsite these two locals were there waiting for me with a paper plate and microwaved lasagna covered with tinfoil! What a meal! What welcoming hospitality to iron Knob. Totally unexpected :D

That's a brilliant account of Iron Knob...isn't just incredible how generous random strangers can be, and even when they don't have much to offer themselves, when you yourself are doing something a little more risky and different from everyone else on your bike. Often when you talk to people while doing this it evokes strong memories for them of the time they did something similar.

But wow....Iron Knob blew me away in terms of the most derelict looking town I've seen...you did well to support them...I saw no humans except in the post office!