Omeo - Tom Groggin Campground Route Possibilities.

CchrisCcolombo.11

Omeo - Tom Groggin Campground Route Possibilities.

Postby CchrisCcolombo.11 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi there,
I’m currently planning a bike tour from Melbourne to Byron Bay commencing January 2018, via The Great Dividing Range.

I intend to pass through Omeo in the direction of Mt Kosciouszko, and in this moment I am piecing together routes via Tom Groggin Campground. Having Tom Groggin Campground as a pillar and destinations is not essential though it seems riding from Omeo that this route is one of the more frequently travelled as well as being the most picturesque.
So far I have mapped out two potential routes and I am seeking advice on both in regards to road conditions, difficulty and the time they would take to travel, camping options considered.

The first route to give you a rough idea will follow roads such as:

Omeo Hwy – Benambra Road
Benambra Road – Benambra-Limestone Road
Benambra-Limestone Road – Limestone Road
Limestone Road – Beloka Road
Beloka Road – Mt Hope Road
Mt Hope Road – Tom Groggin Track
Tom Groggin Track – Davies Plain Track
*RIVER CROSSING* Murray River
Tom Groggin Campground

The second route would rather follow the Benambra-Corryong Rd, through the Nariel Valley into Corryong, passing through Khancoban and Geehi down the Alpine Way towards Tom Groggin. Considering the gradients involved I am considering breaking this route into smaller sections with overnight camps.

I am seeking advice in regards to anyone with the knowledge and experience of these areas and in particular these roads, and whether the first or second option would be recommended in consideration of the time of year I am choosing to travel. I am also very open to alternate routes and suggestions.

Cheers,

Chris.

Uncle Just

Re: Omeo - Tom Groggin Campground Route Possibilities.

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 am

Hi Chris I vaguely recall a journal by a young guy on CGOAB (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/?o=1fs) heading east on rough tracks and back roads through that region of Victoria. Do a search on that site and you may find some info.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am

Khancoban to Geehi/Tom Groggin is part of the BNT - they have a route off the main road that has several possibilities for camping. Their route goes north from Khancoban, and south from Tom Groggin.

See
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2 ... 7/148.2289 NSW - zoomable
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2347837 Vic

There are some walking tracks in the general area - with designated camping grounds that maybe of use.

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Any of these routes /roads are really good .
i have ridden some of them.
In particular Benambra rd., Corryong Benambra rd , Limestone rd ,Barry way .
That time of year is reasonably warm down low , people around as its school holidays , water usually easy to find , plenty of camping spots everywhere .
Would highly recommend the Bruthen ,Swifts Creek ,Omeo ,Limestone rd Barry way to Jindebyne as a route although in and out of Suggan Buggan is a grind + not many shops for supplies.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm

I have walked, but not ridden, quite a bit of this area.

Your first route gets progressively rougher as you get towards Tom Groggin.

The Benambra-Corryong Rd is a good gravel road - easily doable on a road bike with gravel tyres. Taylors Crossing just off the road is a good campsite and a great place for a swim (although there may be some fly fishers and 4WDers around).

The Barry Way is simply amazing, although will be pretty popular in January with some more significant gravel climbing. Numerous campsites along the NSW section of the Snowy.

Another alternative would be Limestone Rd then Cowombat Track to the very head of the Murrary, then Cascades Track to Dead Horse Gap just above Thredbo. Probably off-road tourer for this.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm

I have cycled both the Corryong Benamba Rd and Lomestone Road to Cowombat Flat through to Dead Horse Gap.

They are both great rides. My pick would be via Cowombat flat. It is spectacular and remote in the pilot wilderness area. Some nice huts, brumbies, headwaters of the Murray. I also recommend climbing the Pilot which has spectacular views. This route has plenty of water.

The Corryong benambra Road has a spring near sassafras gap which was welcome as there is not much water going over the range.

Any ride in that area is fantastic.. I am very jealous.

CchrisCcolombo.11

Postby CchrisCcolombo.11 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Thank you each for your advice and help,
It really is appreciated after many hours spent digging through the web for information.

I have decided I will ride the route from Omeo through Cowombat Flat, leading into Cascade Trail and onto the Alpine Way towards Thredbo as a destination.
Breaking the trip into two days I will spend a night along the Murray at Cowombat Flat.
Seems like I should though keep Barry Way in mind for a future adventure.

It is my first time attempting a trip as such so all the advice is well treasured, I’m sure I’ll be back on in no time at all with more questions.

Thanks again,
Chris.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

You should enjoy this Chris.

Just remember you are entering a very remote part of the snowy mtns. There is no mobile phone coverage and you are unlikely to see many people. You will need to be fully self sufficient.

There was a plane wreck at Cowombat flat where an RAAF plane crashed killing two or so people.

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Native Dog Flat along Limestone rd has good water and camping , road is OK occ traffic .
Tin Mine huts are good along way to Dead Horse Gap are nice.
This part is very remote 4WD and rough so you will need spare bike parts eg tubes, tools ,bolts ,chainbreaker and link ,spare brake pads .

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:14 pm

rowdyflat wrote:Native Dog Flat along Limestone rd has good water and camping , road is OK occ traffic .
Tin Mine huts are good along way to Dead Horse Gap are nice.
This part is very remote 4WD and rough so you will need spare bike parts eg tubes, tools ,bolts ,chainbreaker and link ,spare brake pads .
Actually, most of Cowombat and Cascades is MVO (Management Vehicle Only), so not accessible to 4WDers. Which only reinforces your point about having spares.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm

The BNT in the "news".
(Well a blog by one of the great bikepacking gurus of our time)
http://salsacycles.com/culture/bikepack ... uro_trails

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 am

baabaa wrote:The BNT in the "news".
(Well a blog by one of the great bikepacking gurus of our time)
http://salsacycles.com/culture/bikepack ... uro_trails
Yeah, a lot of alpine trails can resemble that in winter and spring with seasonal closures and little traffic - I know I walked the Cascades trail almost exactly like that. I think the OP was targetting their trip for January, by which time Parks and/or 4WDers will have cleared a lot of trails - Cowombat and Cascades are important fire access trails, so they do get cleared.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 pm

I am not sure if it is still the case but you're not meant to ride on the trail on the Victorian side in the Alpine National Park. Victoria, like the Act bans the use of bikes in Wilderness areas such as near the Cobberas. NSW doesn't.

It was funny as I ignored the no cycling rule and met the police on the trail. They were looking for a lost bushwalker and couldn't care less about bikes. They said what a great way to travel. The Victorian police helicopter landed at the campsite at Cowombat flat and asked us again if we had seen the lost walkers.

It is spectacular country. You can straddle the Murray and bein both states as it is just a creek.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:58 pm

madmacca wrote:
baabaa wrote:The BNT in the "news".

Yeah, a lot of alpine trails can resemble that in winter and spring with seasonal closures and little traffic -
Yes, was in and around the Tom Groggin firetrails by foot and bike a bit last spring. Lots of die back and trees down, was also quite windy and very, very wet last year which made for plenty of restless nights during tent time. Can make finding a spot to camp tricky but I guess a lot of these taller trees can only fall once in our lifetimes.

suzannenz

Postby suzannenz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:42 pm

uad782 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm
I have cycled both the Corryong Benamba Rd and Lomestone Road to Cowombat Flat through to Dead Horse Gap.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you have any issues on the VIC side of Cowombat Trail, as in my understanding is that cycling is permitted on the NSW side but not on the VIC side?

Many thanks, ~ Suzanne

windlessdog

Postby windlessdog » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi Suzanne
We rode through from NSW last week, when you cross the not so mighty Murray river there is no sign to say you cant ride a bike on the border and at the Vic entry end the signs have been trashed so ignorance maybe a good excuse, as some one pointed out earlier its okay in NSW and the track clearing crew we meet loved what we where doing, we didn't see any Rangers in Vic on the journey out to native dog flat.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 pm

BUSH FIRES - THIS AREA DISCUSSED ABOVE.

Definitely would advise against cycling anywhere between Bruthen / Buchan / Gelantipy.

Roads are closed, fires moving quickly.

http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/