Race to the Rock 2017 has started

GJ_Coop

Race to the Rock 2017 has started

Postby GJ_Coop » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Looks like this year's Race to the Rock is underway. The last one went up the Oodnadatta.

This year it has started in Albany and goes via the Munda Biddi and the Great Central Road to Uluru.

One racer had his wheel smashed on the way to the start, and the courier lost the second!! Looks like he has started turning his wheels but has a bit to catch up.

Don't know where the main website is but you can follow the route here: https://racetotherock2017.maprogress.com/.

WestcoastPete

Re: Race to the Rock 2017 has started

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi GJ!

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:18 pm

How do I know these things?

Yeah, Pete, I'm still breathing over here. Not much touring because the roads are completely stuffed in the South Island after last year's earthquake. Hopefully back open by Christmas. My feet are sore from so much walking. Mountain biking here in Nelson is great though.

I haven't managed to ride either the Heaphy or the fantastic Old Ghost Road, but have walked them both.

The Race to the Rock is bringing back a few memories having done the Munda Biddi twice, once in each direction, and been known to have trundled along the Great Central Road. One of my favourite rides. Not many cars out there, maybe 8 a day.

Those guys are going at considerably more pace than I. I took 151 days for Perth to Alice Springs via Albany, Exmouth, Meekatharra, Wiluna, and the GCR. They might take 15 to Uluru.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am

Oh no...more dot watching.... I wondered why Jesse was so far back... will be interesting to see how he goes catching up
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.