Family friendly off road (ish) ride in SW WA?

matthewo_brien

Family friendly off road (ish) ride in SW WA?

Postby matthewo_brien » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to Southwest WA, but keen to do some exploring. With my family. On bikes.

In test rides, we can comfortably do around 20km or so in a session (most recent was the rail trail from Cowaramup to Margaret River), but have to watch the gradient with the youngest rider (7 y/o). She is getting better with offroad, and we are much more at ease away from traffic. We've all got capable mountain bikes, but don't really want to push it with the kids yet.

We are pretty nearly setup with all our bags and sleeping gear and tent - just looking for some destinations that might suit. Hopefully looking for three days/two nights as the stating adventure.

So any suggestions? I'm going to look at the Munda biddi maps to see if there are some sections that might work, but also open to anything else people suggest. The ride and the view and the camping is the destination!

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

Thoglette

Re: Family friendly off road (ish) ride in SW WA?

Postby Thoglette » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:35 am

When I asked a similar question a while back the advice was to look at the rail-trail sections: they are relatively flat and broad. If my memory serves me there's one near Pemberton and another near Denmark.

I'm sure those more famillar will chime in
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 am

Rail trail out of Nannup but not a big distance. The Mundi Biddi between Denmark and Albany is fairly flat with a railtrail section north of Albany. Also nice trail out of Denmark going north.

IIRC Collie has a rail trail as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 am

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Brilliant - thanks for the suggestions and I'm a little embarrassed I hadn't found the rail trails site!

Andrew (or anyone else!), any hints on camping locations on either the Denmark trail or the Collie trail? Both look like they could work for a three day two night tester ride as I intend. Plan to carry everything we need, so can stop where it looks good!

It looks like there are state forest options about halfway along the collie trail, so could make a there and back style trip somehow.

The Denmark one looks more nature reserve based, (but probably the nicer family ride) but perhaps there are options there somewhere? I'm wondering about parking in Denmark, head west for a night and camp somewhere towards Kentdale, then come back to Denmark and head east and camp somewhere east of Denmark, then return to Denmark and the car.

Are there clear rules over here about where we can camp when hiking/biking? When we go full size camping (4wd) I only use designated areas, but am happy to look at other options from the bike - and when I've got a family as well - people are usually understanding in my experience - but best to have half a clue before setting out!

Thanks again

Matthew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Going south of Denmark you are basically riding the Mundi Biddi Track in combination with the rail trail. There are no Munda Biddi campsites on this section but there is official camping at Cosy Corner. Another option is see if you can connect with the Bibblumun Track campsites. You are not meant to ride on the Bibbulmun Track but I don't think anyone is going to get too concerned about short connecting rides. The Nullaki Campsite would be easily accessible but is fairly close to Denmark.

On the northern side is the William Bay Campsite which you could access easily but it would involve a nice climb up a rather steep hill (think probably pushing bikes). Munda Biddi wise there is no campsites until you climb up from the coast.

Another option west of Denmark is Parry Beach. That is 23 kms by road from Denmark.

That is about all I can think of in terms of "campsites". My preference when riding (and when bushwalking but bushwalking I am really in the bush so not an issue) is generally unofficial camping, so in area like around Denmark I look for nature reserves or forest areas and check them in Google maps satellite image to see if I can find a dirt track I can use to get off the road so to speak or a decent sized area of bush I can camp in. For example on the Denmark - Nornalup Rail Trail there is the Rudyard Beach Nature Reserve. I would consider that as a serious option.

Hope that helps.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 pm

Oh this is the Munda Biddi west of Denmark ... heads to the coast which gives you camping options as well.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:Going south of Denmark you are basically riding the Mundi Biddi Track in combination with the rail trail. There are no Munda Biddi campsites on this section but there is official camping at Cosy Corner. Another option is see if you can connect with the Bibblumun Track campsites. You are not meant to ride on the Bibbulmun Track but I don't think anyone is going to get too concerned about short connecting rides. The Nullaki Campsite would be easily accessible but is fairly close to Denmark.

On the northern side is the William Bay Campsite which you could access easily but it would involve a nice climb up a rather steep hill (think probably pushing bikes). Munda Biddi wise there is no campsites until you climb up from the coast.

Another option west of Denmark is Parry Beach. That is 23 kms by road from Denmark.

That is about all I can think of in terms of "campsites". My preference when riding (and when bushwalking but bushwalking I am really in the bush so not an issue) is generally unofficial camping, so in area like around Denmark I look for nature reserves or forest areas and check them in Google maps satellite image to see if I can find a dirt track I can use to get off the road so to speak or a decent sized area of bush I can camp in. For example on the Denmark - Nornalup Rail Trail there is the Rudyard Beach Nature Reserve. I would consider that as a serious option.

Hope that helps.
Whats the deal with the Bibbulmun Track campsites Andrew?
Are they pay for sites or are they of the same ethos as the Munda Biddi?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:51 am

Brilliantly Andrew - thanks so much. I'm plotting a circular route via that coastal campsite and the railtrail too and from Denmark as we speak! I'll share what I come up with.

Thanks again

Matthew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am

rifraf wrote:Whats the deal with the Bibbulmun Track campsites Andrew?
The Munda Biddi Trail campsites (and the Cape to Cape Track and Coastal Plains Walk Track) campsites are all modelled off the Bibblumun Track campsites, i.e., basic three sided shelters with picnic tables, dropbox and fire rings (except for down south and Cape to Cape).

They are free to use.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Whats the deal with the Bibbulmun Track campsites Andrew?
The Munda Biddi Trail campsites (and the Cape to Cape Track and Coastal Plains Walk Track) campsites are all modelled off the Bibblumun Track campsites, i.e., basic three sided shelters with picnic tables, dropbox and fire rings (except for down south and Cape to Cape).

They are free to use.
Great to have more awareness of another resource - thank you.
I'd ignored the possibility of these campsites making an erroneous assumption that they would be non cycle friendly and Pay As You Go huts. :oops:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:37 pm

rifraf wrote:Great to have more awareness of another resource - thank you.
I'd ignored the possibility of these campsites making an erroneous assumption that they would be non cycle friendly and Pay As You Go huts. :oops:
Keep in mind that the Bibbulum Track and Cape to Cape Trail are walking trails only so riding is not allowed and to be honest I don't think you would want to ride a lot of them, that said I have been known to make use of the odd Bibblumun Track hut :) My approach is to simply ride the local forestry roads and then when necessary pick up the Bibblumun Track for the last section into the campsite. For most of the huts this is generally a short connection to a nearby forestry road as they need the access to get vehicles in to build the campsites and repair them.

Coastal Plains is up your way and includes a hut in the Yanchep National Park. Most of the track is now days ripped [motorbikes] up sand so not much fun to ride or walk for that matter. That said you could ride into Shapcotts from the east coming off Wanneroo Road and to Ridges too (would need to investigate the route options but Ridges is easily accessed by forestry roads]. Motich would be sandy riding only and Prickly Bark is now closed due to anti-social behaviour.