Canberra to Tumut...and beyond. Which way?

Vintagetourer

Canberra to Tumut...and beyond. Which way?

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Happy spring tourers.
Any recommendations for a route to pedal a loaded touring bike on backroads from Canberra to Tumut? Via Brindabella or Wee Jasper?
Beyond Tumut the route will be to Albury then on to Adelaide. But that's the relatively easy bit. Follow the river Murray
It's first few days of which I am pondering. Any tips? Which is the best way to cross the Goodradigbee?

I'll be riding my Thorn Sherpa with a fairly full load.

jindydiver

Re: Canberra to Tumut...and beyond. Which way?

Postby jindydiver » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:20 am

The road to Wee Jasper is tar all the way now, and a damn sight safer to ride on than the road from Uriarra to Brindabella. From WJ you can head up Yass road to WJ road and south from there to Bondo. Then you can keep going south to Argalong and then down the mountain to the Goobarragandra river, then along it to Tumut. Very scenic with great views.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:32 am

Thanks for this helpful advice. Much appreciated.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:04 am

Yes to WJ but even then Brindabella Road is far better than doing any fast highway or Hume bits but gotta ask, you are doing some good, best, steep hills up and into Tumut so why take a full load, send a box of stuff to the post office in the more or less flat from then to Adel like Holbrook?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but the load will be mostly stuff I need enroute...tent, stove, fuel, food etc so there won't be much weight I could post ahead. I am planning the first few days to be slow going to get the body and bike tuned back into touring mode. The hills don't concern me too much. Low gears or even a bit of walking will get me there eventually.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:46 am

Batlow Tumut Batlow, sorry I often get them confused, Tumut will be fine with just bulk but the ride up to Batlow is well, hard. But yes if you poke along it is a great ride. To me this year seems to be pretty cool and lots of frosts so do pack your night time warm stuff. The days while short but ideal for that sort of riding.

Cline

Postby Cline » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Toured the Brindabella road from Tumut to Canberra on our way to Brisbane earlier this year. There are some fairly solid climbs either way - I recall the climb after crossing the Goodradigbee river was tough. Certainly fine on a fully loaded bike and the road was gravel, but in good condition. We camped at a small creek crossing/swampy area about half way across. There is also a forestry depot where we filled up with water. All up it was a great, but challenging ride.

FKS

Postby FKS » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 pm