Ozzy touring Virgin!

jackfewintheworld

Ozzy touring Virgin!

Postby jackfewintheworld » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 am

Hey guys and gals,

I've been thinking about my next tour for a while now and was brainstorming about cycling around Oz, with the intention of stopping and working along the way, a sort of working, travel, learning adventure. I've done some serious touring before (3,000miles in India) but have ZERO knowledge about this mahoosive country! My initial plan was to ride from north to south via the east coast, from the northern most point to the southern most point.

I plan to start maybe January and to be on the move for 6 plus months. I want this to be a real adventure, challenging, remote, beautiful and meeting many incredible people along the way.

Would appreciate any advice about this route, weather, working opportunities, must see places or if it's simply a stupid idea!

Thanks,

Jack

tmac100

Re: Ozzy touring Virgin!

Postby tmac100 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:53 pm

First of all, re-think starting from Seisia at Cape York in January. That is the wet season so the road will be very poor - thus, you will be staying there (in the north) and not going very far south until the country starts drying up..... However, once you get to the paved road (Cooktown and inland a bit) you will be able to continue without much issue/drama.

For the road between Cairns and Seisia check out the website. http://www.cape-york-australia.com. Katrin has a wealth of information. I purchased the Destination Guide and it was worth the money.

I am sure others will give other useful advice.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Start by researching the weather. January is the height of the wet season and cyclone season in Northern Australia.

If planning to work along the way, also reseach the fruit picking season. There are quite a few web sites that list fruit picking jobs.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Tasmania is the place to be in an Australian summer.

Mulga Bill

Postby Mulga Bill » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:02 am

If your dates are set It would be better to start in the south and ride north. The other benefit of this is you would start your trip in a more built up location to test and adjust your bike and equipment prior to getting into the more remote area.

Otherwise if your dates are flexible and you're keen on the north to south route aim to start up north in June or July.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm

jackfewintheworld wrote:Hey guys and gals,

I've been thinking about my next tour for a while now and was brainstorming about cycling around Oz, with the intention of stopping and working along the way, a sort of working, travel, learning adventure. I've done some serious touring before (3,000miles in India) but have ZERO knowledge about this mahoosive country! My initial plan was to ride from north to south via the east coast, from the northern most point to the southern most point.

I plan to start maybe January and to be on the move for 6 plus months. I want this to be a real adventure, challenging, remote, beautiful and meeting many incredible people along the way.

Would appreciate any advice about this route, weather, working opportunities, must see places or if it's simply a stupid idea!

Thanks,

Jack
I agree with the other posters - rethink your direction of travel. Tasmania (south) and Victoria have a summer-autumn-winter climate, but as you move northwards into NSW, you get into a sub-tropical climate with a wet and dry season. As you move further northwards into northern Queensland, it becomes positively monsoonal. Wet season runs November-May. Starting south and moving northwards means you will enjoy summer in January, and avoid winter AND the wet season as you move northwards. Bear in mind school holidays end in late January, so you may find accomodation in coastal areas cheaper after that.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm

You mentioned wanting to see places? Where are you now? What things have you seen about Oz, that particularly appeal to you?

Do you want to travel on the tarmac or like off road mostly or a mixture of surfaces? Is communing with nature and wildlife a priority for you? Do our larger capital and regional cities appeal or is visiting more isolated rural communities something that you are more looking forward to.

Do you want to include Rail Trails and National Trails like the the Bicentennial National Trail ot the High Country Rail Trail and the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail? Have you read about the Travelling Stock Routes and TS Reserves in New South wales that allow free camping?

Have you considered riding along some of our great rivers like the Darling, Marry and the Might Snowy?

There are amazing roads that cross and run along the Great Dividing Range and even more steep ones that climb the Great Escarpment. Oz and New South Wales in particular have many UNESCO listed World Heritage Regions.

There are no shortages of things to think about.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm

You mentioned wanting to see places? Where are you now? What things have you seen about Oz, that particularly appeal to you?

Do you want to travel on the tarmac or like off road mostly or a mixture of surfaces? Is communing with nature and wildlife a priority for you? Do our larger capital and regional cities appeal or is visiting more isolated rural communities something that you are more looking forward to.

Do you want to include Rail Trails and National Trails like the the Bicentennial National Trail or the High Country Rail Trail and the Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail? Have you read about the Travelling Stock Routes and TS Reserves in New South Wales that allow free camping?

Have you considered riding along some of our great rivers like the Darling, Murry and the Might Snowy?

There are amazing roads that cross and run along the Great Dividing Range and even more steeper ones that climb the Great Escarpment. Oz and New South Wales in particular have many UNESCO listed World Heritage Regions.

There are no shortages of things to think about.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.