East Coast Cycling Route

RonK

East Coast Cycling Route

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Up until recently the only published cycling route from Melbourne to Brisbane has been the East Coast Explorer route which appeared in the Lonely Planet Cycling Australia 2001 edition. This is still a useful resource even though it didn't appear in subsequent editions and some of the information is outdated. The route takes the Barry Way from Victoria into NSW and some tourists would find this section challenging.

But now the NSW Coastal Trail has been extended to Melbourne taking a more conventional route through Gippsland.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Re: East Coast Cycling Route

Postby Tim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks Ron.
This is a resource I intend making use of when circumstances allow me to tour again for extended periods of time.
Bookmarked for future reference.

vicMoo

Postby vicMoo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:33 am

Thanks RonK!

Do you know where I can find the Lonely Planet Cycling Australia 2001 edition in PDF? I would also like to have a look at it to compare :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 am

I have a scan. PM your email address and I will send you a copy.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 pm

RonK wrote:Up until recently the only published cycling route from Melbourne to Brisbane has been the East Coast Explorer route....

...The route takes the Barry Way from Victoria into NSW and some tourists would find this section challenging.

Probably less challenging than almost any other route you'd take out east.

RonK wrote:But now the NSW Coastal Trail has been extended to Melbourne taking a more conventional route through Gippsland.

The main Princes Hwy?? No thanks. Very hilly, lots of truck traffic, and now with sections of centre-road wire-rope barriers.

avolve

Postby avolve » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:51 pm

RonK wrote:But now the NSW Coastal Trail has been extended to Melbourne taking a more conventional route through Gippsland.

The section from Gerringong (just south of Kiama) to Shoalhaven Heads (before Bombaderry/Nowra) is a single lane in each direction no shoulder and has a 80 and 100km speed limit. I strongly recommend avoiding it. It is very far from an enjoyable ride

You can avoid this by not going though Gerringong and turning off the highway (the road coming from Kiama) onto Toolijooa Road, then Beach Road, Agars lane, Coolangatta Road and then back onto Bolong Road. Alternative, turn off Coolangatta Road onto Bryces Road then Blackforest Road before coming back on Bolong Road (I have not ridden this section as yet).

These are most very quiet rural/back roads. Toolijooa Road has a short unpaved section (minor washboarding). Much more peaceful and enjoyable. You not not see a car on most of them, rather than being buzzed at 100km/hr.

[Other sections I have looked at are similarly highways... :( ]