Esperance to Albany [Western Australia] 750 kms in 10 Days

Aushiker

Re: Esperance to Albany [Western Australia] 750 kms in 10 Days

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 am

Day 6 [Part 1]: Hopetoun to Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] - 61.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 3/4 hours.

Heading out of Hopetoun on Hamersly Drive and before the "fun" started I was distracted by the first of two sand monitors for the day. As it turned out it was timely as got to chat to a couple of local bicycle riders (roadies); the only riders I met on the ride.

Having passed Culham Inlet I paused for a moment to take in East Mount Barren and Barrons Beach. East Mount Barren stands at 311 m. Thankfully the road swings around to the left of it.

Having passed Culham Inlet I paused for a moment to look back and capture an image of its peacefulness.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 am

Day 6 [Part 2]: Hopetoun to Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] - 61.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 3/4 hours.

Time for the "fun" to start. I actually surprised myself and rode all but about 50 metres of the climb. Mind you that was about it for the day :)

Looking back to Hopetoun from the foot of East Mt Barren. The view takes in Barron Beach and Culham Inlet. The ride down the other side was to come … yippee! :)

East Mount Barren close up. From here I rolled down from the foot of the mountain deeper into Fitzgerald River National Park to participate in its good and not so good aspects.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am

Day 6 [Part 3]: Hopetoun to Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] - 61.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 3/4 hours.

Looking west across the expanse of the Fitzgerald River National Park with Mylies Beach in the foreground. My plan at this point was to pretty much follow the coast to the western boundary of the park. Oh for the plans of mice and men.

Having entered the Fitzgerald River National Park the Hakea Victoria or more commonly known Royal Hakea started to dominate the landscape. Regretfully I was out of wildflower season so no flowering specimens where to be seen. The Noongar name for the plant is Tallyongut. They can grow to around 3 metres tall. This was one of the tallest I saw today.

Now at Hamersley Inlet and contemplating the Hakea Trail as a way to head west along the cost. Note the steps: they were the easy ones. The log stairs where to come and come and come …

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Day 6 [Part 4]: Hopetoun to Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] - 61.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 3/4 hours.

To reach the Hakea Trail proper one must first get to the beach at the inlet. Today there is a trail to provide, eh, easy access. When I walked this area in 2008 we were on our hands and knees with backpacks getting through the bush to the beach! Oh how things have changed. This is however really a walking trail and not at all ideal for bicycles: read log steps and more steps and more steps.

Paused for a moment to take in the vista of the Hamersley Inlet. What is frustrating now, is that the 4WD track on the other side of the inlet is so obvious. I could have taken that track <smacks head>.

Made the inlet having survived the Hamersley Inlet Link Trail log steps.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

Day 6 [Part 4]: Hopetoun to Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] - 61.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 3/4 hours.

To reach the Hakea Trail proper one must first get to the beach at the inlet. Today there is a trail to provide, eh, easy access. When I walked this area in 2008 we were on our hands and knees with backpacks getting through the bush to the beach! Oh how things have changed. This is however really a walking trail and not at all ideal for bicycles: read log steps and more steps and more steps.

Paused for a moment to take in the vista of the Hamersley Inlet. What is frustrating now, is that the 4WD track on the other side of the inlet is so obvious. I could have taken that track <smacks head>.

Made the inlet having survived the Hamersley Inlet Link Trail log steps.

Made the beach at Hamersley Inlet. Paused to contemplate going on and battling the rock outcrops or turning back to take Plan C.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 am

Day 6 [Part 5]: Hopetoun to Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] - 61.4 km - Elapsed Time 8 3/4 hours.

Back out at the Hamersley Inlet day area pumping up the tyres in preparation for some road riding when this goanna came wandering by.

Now on the outskirts of the Fitzgerald River National Park and wild camping alongside a former firefighting water hole.

Now on the outskirts of the Fitzgerald River National Park and wild camping alongside a couple of firefighting water tanks.

Day 6 comes to an end.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:21 am

Day 7 [Part 1]: Wild Camp [Fitzgerald River National Park] to Jerramungup - 92.9 km — 37 C - Elapsed Time 9 hours 41 minutes.

A big day today; 92.9 km, temperature in the shade, 37 C (GPS says 39 C but heck two degrees was not noticeable trust me) and nine hours and 41 minutes on the road.

This billabong in the Fitzgerald River National Park is a bit of a "mirage" in that it is cooling water but it is water with a catch; salt and more salt. No drinking water to be had here. Maybe good for a salty swim but that is about it.

The less than glorious Fitzgerald River where it crosses the Old Ongerup Road and enters the park. Very saline water so not suitable for drinking.

Late harvesting happening near Jacup. Saw my first harvesting equipment for the ride with this JCB Fastrac 3185 pulling a chaser bin down the South Coast Highway. I assume moving to the next harvesting location as the local farmers work fast to wrap up the season.

That is it for Day 7. The distance, the heat and really the riding locality did nothing to inspire much in the way of photography.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:44 am

Day 8 [Part 1]: Jerramungup to Bremer Bay - 87.2 km - Elapsed Time 6 hours 46 minutes.

I was too wiped out to take a "welcome to Jerramungup" photo the afternoon before so took it as I was leaving this morning as my official record of visiting.

Telecommunications are as important in the "bush" as they are in the city. This is the Gairdner River Exchange which provides telecommunications including mobile phone coverage, microwave repeater and I believe ADSL 2+.

Telecommunications are as important in the "bush" as they are in the city. This is the Gairdner River Exchange which provides telecommunications including mobile phone coverage, microwave repeater and I believe ADSL 2+.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Day 8 [Part 2]: Jerramungup to Bremer Bay - 87.2 km - Elapsed Time 6 hours 46 minutes.

Leaving the South Coast Highway for the day and turning on to the curiously named Devils Creek Road which is a road train route; only baby road trains here but.

Good news. All access to the Fitzgerald River National Park via Devil Creek Road is open. Not that it mattered to me as I was turning off before entering the park.

Stopped on Devil Creek Road for a break. Took this photo as reflection on life on the farm in early summer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Day 8 [Part 3]: Jerramungup to Bremer Bay - 87.2 km - Elapsed Time 6 hours 46 minutes.

Playing with the big boys on Swamp Road. Found it best to pull over and let them pass even though the drivers were pretty good, with most of them slowing down for me.

Day 8: Esperance to Albany: The Unconventional Ride. 750 km in 10 days. Next stop Bremer Bay. The dirt was about to come to an end for the day with bitumen to be my friend whilst battling into headwinds through to Bremer. There is always something every day it seems to take the edge of the enjoyment of riding. BTW that water bag was repositioned :)

Made Bremer Bay and the chance for a decent night's sleep at the Bremer Bay Resort and to beat the incoming storm. Mind you they have an interesting concept of what a resort is :). All good but and friendly folk. Bremer Bay is also a chance to resupply more so if coming in from or heading out to the Fitzgerald River National Park or bypassing some of the South Coast Highway.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:07 am

Day 09 Part 01 Bremer Bay to Wellstead - 86.2 km, Elapsed time: eight hours 21 minutes.

All bitumen roads and highway today. Decided to ride on past my planned camping spot to Wellstead as I was making much better progress than expected. All up 86.2 km in an elapsed time of eight hours and 21 minutes. Dawdled a bit today.

Leaving Bremer Bay with the storm clouds still omnipresence. I paused for a moment on the Borden-Bremer Bay Road to take in the Bremer Bay sand dunes and the storm clouds.

Fours hour after leaving Bremer Bay the storm clouds had gone and the sun was out. Still not enough drying happening to get the harvest going but. This small local farming operation was still on hold for the day when I rode past.

redned

Postby redned » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Epic ride Andrew!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Day 09 Part 02 Bremer Bay to Wellstead - 86.2 km, Elapsed time: eight hours 21 minutes.

All bitumen roads and highway today. Decided to ride on past my planned camping spot to Wellstead as I was making much better progress than expected. All up 86.2 km in an elapsed time of eight hours and 21 minutes. Dawdled a bit today.

Dropped into the Bush Chooks Café and Roadhouse [aka Boxwood Hill Roadhouse] for lunch. I initially wasn't too sure about the place but after seeking some local knowledge from the Head Chook, Jill Collier my view changed. Jill was most helpful and knowledgeable. I can highly recommend dropping in and spending a few dollars [the food is good too]; just remember to show an interest in the area :)

The Marra Bridge [#0892] spans the Pallinup River at the point where the South Coast Highway crosses the river. The bridge was built by Main Roads WA in 1962. It had been my intention to pull off here and head into the Pallinup Nature Reserve to camp for the night but as it was too early in the day I continued south taking some kilometres off tomorrow's ride.

The Pallinup at the point if flows under the South Coast Highway. It had been my intention to pull off here and head into the Pallinup Nature Reserve to camp for the night but as it was too early in the day I continued south taking some kilometres off tomorrow's ride.

Here ends Day 9. I camped at Wellstead Bush Camp in the end. Photos from Day 10 including the camp and Wellstead to follow.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Beautiful pictures Andrew awesome trip.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:58 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Beautiful pictures Andrew awesome trip.
Thanks Ricky.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:58 pm

DAY 10 [POST 01] WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 13 - WELLSTEAD TO CHEYNES BEACH

A bit of bash for a while on the South Coast Highway before I was able to take a minor road which turned into a track [Google/Open Street Maps had it wrong so a bit of a re-routing required] and then beach for the remainder of the day. Today was the worse section of the South Coast Highway I experienced and I was well and truly glad to see the back of it. A total of 74.5 km and a total time on the bike of nine hours 21 minutes.

Sun rising over my camp site at the Wellstead Bush Camp, Wellstead. Basic campsite with a toilet and shower. Robb and Carolyn Davy are the hosts. A unpowered site is $10 for the night.

Wellstead Rural Services: general store, supplies, hot food, diner. Actually not bad takeaway food and handy for an emergency stock up. Pretty much it but for the locality.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 pm

DAY 10 [POST 02] WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 13 - WELLSTEAD TO CHEYNES BEACH

A bit of bash for a while on the South Coast Highway before I was able to take a minor road which turned into a track [Google/Open Street Maps had it wrong so a bit of a re-routing required] and then beach for the remainder of the day. Today was the worse section of the South Coast Highway I experienced and I was well and truly glad to see the back of it. A total of 74.5 km and a total time on the bike of nine hours 21 minutes.

Street art at the Wellstead Rural Services roadhouse come general store.

One of the joys of riding a bicycle; the freedom from the tank :) Fuel prices at Wellstead Rural Services.

This shelter for the kids waiting for the school bus caught my attention; quintessential rural Australian ingenuity.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:07 pm

DAY 10 [POST 03] WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 13 - WELLSTEAD TO CHEYNES BEACH

Southern Haulage coming into to load up with wood chips which I assume where being taken south to Albany for export.

Telecommunications are so important in the Australian bush. It is not unusual to therefore come across a microwave [landline] repeater tower such as this one at Green Range.

Now on Hassell Beach, one of the longest beaches on the south coast of Western Australia at 22 kilometres [source: https://beachsafe.org.au/beach/wa/alban ... sell-beach]. I rode about 10 kilometres of the beach having dropped on to it at Bluff Creek. This section at least was a great firm ridable surface only spoilt by the headwind.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Great photos and report, thanks for taking the time to post. New trip to add to my bucket list. Seen most by 4wd, but looking out the window you often wish you could just slow it down and take it all in.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:22 am

NASHIE wrote:Great photos and report, thanks for taking the time to post. New trip to add to my bucket list. Seen most by 4wd, but looking out the window you often wish you could just slow it down and take it all in.
Thanks. The funny thing is as I work through the photos I keep thinking I should have slowed down and taken more in :) I reckon I could have taken another week and maybe then given the better sections more justice.

I tend to focus to much on riding on these sorts of rides ... miss my long service leave and all the time in the world riding :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 am

DAY 11 [POST 01] THURSDAY DECEMBER 14 - CHEYNES BEACH TO ALBANY

The last day of riding today, do my 10th day. The day started out well, had a little hiccup followed by another little hiccup so I ended up changing my plans for the last section into Albany and stuck to more bitumen riding than initially planned. All up 77.7 km with an elapsed time of 11 hours.

This is one sign I was not expecting to see; shows how much I now about fishing! Apparently fishing is big around here, so big have a council supplied offal pit is justified. There you go, you learn something new all the time.

The after-effects of the early morning storm still lingering over the rocky outcrop just out of Cheynes Beach.

The last of the telecommunication towers on this ride. A rather minimalist step serving Cheynes Beach.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:12 pm

DAY 11 [POST 02] THURSDAY DECEMBER 14 - CHEYNES BEACH TO ALBANY

The last day of riding today, so my 10th day of actual riding. Two days of travelling to and from the ride. The day started out well, had a little hiccup followed by another little hiccup so I ended up changing my plans for the last section into Albany and stuck to more bitumen riding than initially planned. All up 77.7 km with an elapsed time of 11 hours.

I was to spend a few hours riding through Waychinicup National Park, the home to Mt Manypeaks and some 800+ flora and fauna species including some of rarest animals in Australia including quenda, ring tailed possums and one of the few mainland populations of quokkas [source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waychinicup_National_Park].

My first sighting of Mt Manypeaks as the sun broke through. My ride for today had me skirting around Mt Manypeaks, mind you there was still some climbing on a rocky track involved.

Easily the tallest Xanthorrhoea [Balga Tree] I saw on the ride through the Waychinicup National Park; in fact on the whole ride. A noticeable change in fauna from the Fitzgerald River National Park.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 pm

DAY 11 [POST 03] THURSDAY DECEMBER 14 - CHEYNES BEACH TO ALBANY

The last day of riding today, so my 10th day of actual riding. Two days of travelling to and from the ride. The day started out well, had a little hiccup followed by another little hiccup so I ended up changing my plans for the last section into Albany and stuck to more bitumen riding than initially planned. All up 77.7 km with an elapsed time of 11 hours.

Day 11: Esperance to Albany: The Unconventional Ride. 750 km in 10 days. An unidentifiable, to me at least, wildflower in slow decay in the Waychinicup National Park.

A pink flower. I have an uncomfortable feeling this is a weed, a South African import? - Waychinicup National Park.

A white flower. I am not able to identify it so if you can help, please do - Waychinicup National Park.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:30 pm

DAY 11 [POST 05] THURSDAY DECEMBER 14 - CHEYNES BEACH TO ALBANY

My nemesis, Normans Beach. This was the one and only unrideable beach. Of course I dropped down on the beach near the eastern end so had a fair bit of slogging to do. However I was "recused". Note the house? Well the owner had seen me and dropped down to the beach on his quad bike to see what was happening. End result was a tow for about 500 to 800 metres along the beach. Mind you I then had to push out up off the beach via a muddy creak followed by a steep track. Not fun at all.

Looking west over Two Peoples Bay. I dropped down to the eastern end of the beach and then rode to the western end, some 4.5 km of excellent beach riding. This was to be my last beach of the ride so a nice one to finish off.

I took lunch well above Bettys Beach having climbed out of Normans Beach. It was a pleasant spot watching the ants scarring around below me.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:19 pm

DAY 11 [POST 06] THURSDAY DECEMBER 14 - CHEYNES BEACH TO ALBANY

Looking west to Mt Gardner from Two Peoples Bay beach.

Names of geographical locations are at times most interesting.

This sign was a bit of surprise, well a big surprise. Not something you tend to see in Western Australia and even more curious out here in the "middle of nowhere" so to speak.