Melbourne to Sydney

tommybikerides

Melbourne to Sydney

Postby tommybikerides » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:18 am

Hi Everybody,
Currently planning my first bike tour from Melbourne to Sydney in February and really don't have much money to spend on gear.
I currently have an old road bike I was planning to use, just wondering if anyone knows whether a road bike will be ok for this tour or whether I would need to buy something else?
Thanks,
Tom

Leaf T

Re: Melbourne to Sydney

Postby Leaf T » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Tom. More details and even a photo of the bike will help get more response here. I can only guess how much cycling you've done but trawl through the forum here and also Crazy guy on a bike forum. Do you plan to camp and cook your own food? You'll need at least two panniers and a rear rack plus a dry bag on top. Some people in a pinch use those stripey laundry bags but you can buy a 30 litre roll top dry bag for not much these days.

If your bike has wheels in good condition with at least 32spokes and 32mm tyres that's a good start. Low gearing is best for loaded touring. Something similar to MTB gearing works well especially when hauling up a hill on a 30+ degree day under the sun.

Warin

Re: Melbourne to Sydney

Postby Warin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:13 am

Are you going to try dirt roads? Or stick to sealed roads?
That will impact on tyre choice and gearing.

Try picking a route .. and then look at the road surfaces and inclines. That will help with the choices on the bike and gear you want.