Tarra Bulga and Grand Ridge Road - Gippsland

ridingboots

Tarra Bulga and Grand Ridge Road - Gippsland

Postby ridingboots » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi All

Am planning on doing my first tour by myself and wanted any thoughts on Tarra Bulga National Park and doing part of the Grand Ridge Rd. Would start at Warragul to Traralgon. It would be on my Vivente with back Panniers and camping gear

Has anyone done part of or any of this route and how did you find it

I have done a few mountainous rides in Bunyip State forest but none with panniers. Regularly ride about 50 to 70km on Sundays and am slow.

My concern with this ride is camping as probably take me 3 nights and worried about finding spot to stay on 2 of those nights and it is hilly.

Supplies normally I eat out on tours but think this time will need to carry food and water. What do you carry that is light as food in this regard. My thoughts are 2 minute noodles .... I have small stove.

Was in particular thinking of this route:
http://www.adventurecyclingvictoria.com ... ridge-road/

Tim

Re: Tarra Bulga and Grand Ridge Road - Gippsland

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

The man to ask no longer contributes to this forum.
I great loss as he has decades of Victorian, interstate and international touring experience.
Contact the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club. Peter Signorini is the expert. I know he has toured many times through the Strzeleckis.
Here's one of his old posts from that area;
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84884

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm

I've ridden it a couple of times starting from Traralgon and finishing in Warragul skirting Mount Worth State Park. No camping so we stayed at the recommended Tarra Bulga Guest House in Balook and then in Mirboo North using either the pub or the golf course motel. It's a pleasant ride with little traffic and hilly in places.
Day two we went via the Grand Ridge and Budgeree roads to Boolarra then used the rail trail to Mirboo North and there was plenty of good gravel. :wink: The highlight last time was the early morning walk into Tarra Bulga Nat park and seeing four lyre birds scratching around. :D

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Tim wrote:The man to ask no longer contributes to this forum.
I great loss as he has decades of Victorian, interstate and international touring experience.
Contact the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club. Peter Signorini is the expert. I know he has toured many times through the Strzeleckis.
I remember reading his post about the Grand Ridge as I am often a lurker here. I think his original post was the one that gave me the idea of doing the Grand Ridge trail but at that time did not have the set up

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:34 pm

ridingboots wrote:Supplies normally I eat out on tours but think this time will need to carry food and water. What do you carry that is light as food in this regard. My thoughts are 2 minute noodles .... I have small stove.
There's heaps better tucker than 2 minute noodles.
You need real food for loaded touring.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93461

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Tim wrote:Peter Signorini is the expert.
Peter is still active on Facebook if that is your thing.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am

I've only ridden from Foster to Traralgon via Boolarra but it was a lovely ride over the ranges. The Boolarra pub has free camping (you have to spend money on food or drink) on the grassed area under the trees out the front. There was a a family of cyclists from the Netherlands camping there as well as myself and some backpackers in a van. Was surprisingly peaceful though. Next day I was time limited but went up the hill again along Budgeree Rd and back down Whitelaws track. The road becomes unsealed and has a course surface so I'd suggest minimum 32mm tyres or wider. Had I more time I would have liked to continue onto Balook.

I highly recommend buying the Rooftop map/s for this area.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:36 pm

The Grand Ridge Road is in tip-top condition at present and even on hot days, the cover provided by the canopy makes it pleasant enough. Go for it!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Malikaal

Postby Malikaal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:37 pm

I live in the area you are researching, and can highly recommend cycling the Grand Ridge Road. I did the eastern length from Hyland highway to Binns junction 2 days ago in the rain. There are plenty of places to pitch a tent as long as you are not fussy. Spring fed water available in a few places still at this time of year. Happy to help with more info. Check out a few blogs: https://followmargopolo.com/category/australia/ https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 00571&v=Li

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi All

Thanks for your help I am heading out tomorrow and have simplified the route somewhat. I have decided just to do an overnight at Tarra Valley and then head home but still have big plans to make this into bigger ride and also do Grand Ridge Road.

My poor darling partner is worried about my safety I think he is worried about the narrow roads and drivers not paying attention. Silly thing is probably far unsafer where I ride at home nearer to Pakenham. Hopefully this ride will go well and I will have no problem with car drivers. I plan to move over pretty quick as I know that I will be slow.

Will let you know how I go on my first big adventure by myself :D

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am

I hope you love it ridingboots. When you get back you can put your drinking boots on and plan your next trip. I remember one of my first loaded tours. I wanted to quit at times due to sapping headwinds in western Victoria. But I was quickly thinking about my next trip on the Sunday night. It's addictive.

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:12 am

My review of Tarra Valley -

Recent trip to Tarra Valley on my bike round trip of about 95kms but lots and lots of climbing both ways with the first day climbing up past Mount Tassie which I did not ride up to the look out itself but on my GPS said I gained elevation of 710 metres.

Onward to lovely Balook where I had lunch at the local cafe and for some reason the food after a hard hill the hamburger was awesome the chips are even better.

Once you hit Balook you are well in truly into the Tarra Valley National Park surrounded by beautiful ferns and big trees and now I can enjoy the the fun bit riding down into Tarra Valley to my overnight stop over of Fernholme Caravan Park which is next to Tarra River and the the hills above are covered in ferns.

This is most scenic caravan park I have stayed and considering it is only 46kms from Traralgon there is absolutely no reception phone not even enough to send a txt message but luckily there is a pay phone at the caravan park so quick call and left message for Tony to let him know I had made it safely. Never knew I would have a day where I would have to use a pay phone again lol

Set up camp and then sat in front of a lovely fire and chatted to couple from Orange. Life is good.

The next day I rode up out of Tarra Valley and got to visit the Tarra Falls and Cyathea Falls. The walk to Cyathea falls is just beautiful with many ferns and lovely trees and then I conned a person to take a few photos of me posing at the Cyathea Falls.

After Cyathea Falls I worked up a hunger climbing up out of Tarra Valley and once again had another delicious lunch at Balook Cafe and then went to and did a walk to the Suspension Bridge and back around to the Tarra Bulga Visitor Centre.

The highlight of the whole trip was getting to see several Lyrebirds and one having a bath in the stream. Unfortunately my iPhone could not get enough zoom to get a good shot.

I purposely left my run home till after 4pm as the ride home I would have meet many logging trucks and since it was a Friday and past beer o’clock I did not have to contend with a single truck and lovely long down hill taking me over half hour to reach the bottom as I am slow and cautious but still is Pure Bliss.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 am

Sounds good - no doubt you'll do it again now !! :)

Glad you took the time to explore on foot as well.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks for the report. Sounds great. No doubt you're planning the next. I think Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club are planning some rides in Gippsland for coming months. If not on the calendar they will be soon I imagine. They have a meetup page.

https://www.meetup.com/More-Bakeries-Than-Cycling/

http://www.mbtc.org.au/rides-program/

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:08 am

Anyone know what happened to "il padrone" (aka Pete)?

Pete was certainly a wizened bicycle tourer and knowledgeable/helpful contributor to this forum. As a Canuck who tours in OZ, I found his posts VERY helpful - and "angst preventive".

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm

tmac100 wrote:
Anyone know what happened to "il padrone" (aka Pete)?

Pete was certainly a wizened bicycle tourer and knowledgeable/helpful contributor to this forum. As a Canuck who tours in OZ, I found his posts VERY helpful - and "angst preventive".
"il padrone" (aka Peter Signorini) doesn't post here anymore, and as this thread shows he is missed. Reportedly still active on faceplant & bicycle Victoria forums.

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Entry into Cyathea Falls. The walk into Cyathea Falls was just as beautiful or better then the falls itself

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

My favourite photo from the trip and most interesting tree growing upon another tree

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:21 pm

ridingboots

Postby ridingboots » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm

My comfy bed for the night - better then those horrid hard air mattresses that go down all the time and a lot cheaper off eBay if purchase the chinese version. I have now taken this on 3 trips including the Great Vic Bike Ride this year and it has held up well.