Brisbane to Cunnamulla

turner07

Brisbane to Cunnamulla

Postby turner07 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Hello All

We are planning a bike ride from Brisbane out to Cunnamulla in 2018 - date to be confirmed but will definitely be in the cooler months. To start with we are doing a trial run to Warwick starting from the the commencement of the Western Freeway in Brizzy. The trick is getting out of Brisbane to join onto the Cunningham Highway. We understand there are good bike paths to Riverview near Ipswich. Would love to hear from anyone on how we can get from there to the Cunningham highway pretty safely. There was talk of extending the bike paths but not sure what has happened to that idea. We thought we'd make our first camp at near lake moogerah. If there is anyone out there who would like to join us on our first trip to Lake Moogerah on the 24th February, 2018 let me know. We will have one vehicle for support.

Thanks

Carmel

TCAT

Re: Brisbane to Cunnamulla

Postby TCAT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:03 pm

I have just seen your post. So a bit late to suggest routes for your trial run, if indeed you did it with all the rain that has been about.
Are you planning to ride mostly on the Cunningham Highway or take the side roads? The highway is not a road I would like to ride any distance. Plus you have to make your way up to Cunninghams Gap. That would certainly not be enjoyable with trucks roaring past you at not much more speed than you.
If you are open to other routes you could do as I have done several times to get to Warwick and that is go via Ma Ma Creek (Clifton-Gatton Rd). I ride to Redbank train station and catch a train to Rosewood and then ride to Laidley, Gatton, Clifton, Allora and finally Warwick. Only on the Warrego Highway at Gatton for about 5 kilometres and less than a kilometre on the New England Highway near Clifton. All the rest on much quieter roads. The climb up the range is also more gentle.
I prefer not to ride in and around Ipswich as I have found too many bogans on the road for my safety.