And in Victoria

Mike Ayling

And in Victoria

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 pm

Monday 12 February 2018

Great Southern Ocean Bike Trail

Melbourne to Adelaide by bicycle will soon be possible under a Liberal Nationals government.

If elected in November, a Liberal Nationals government will commit $500,000 for a feasibility study for the Great Southern Ocean Bike Trail. This is on top of a commitment made by the South Australian Liberal Party.

The Great Southern Bike Trail will link Adelaide and Melbourne and feature a series of tourism focused loops for the novice rider, families and more experienced cyclists.

The proposed cycling route from Melbourne to Adelaide will likely to be in excess of 1,200 kilometres and will be done in partnership with an elected Steven Marshall Government in SA and the Commonwealth Government.

It is anticipated the trail could be completed in anywhere between 5 and 15 days, depending on fitness levels.

The Great Southern Ocean Bike Trail will be an economic and tourism boom for regional Victoria. There will be significant benefits to a large number of regional communities between Melbourne and Adelaide and will have significant spin-offs in food and wine, accommodation, nature based tourism and other sectors.

Recreational cyclists are a high yield, high spending market who typically stay longer and spend more.

Comments attributable to Leader of the Opposition Matthew Guy:

Cycling tourism is part of Victoria’s tourist future and a huge opportunity for our state.

I want to see Victoria have Australia’s first interstate bike trail and tap into an entirely new range of eco-tourism options.

Comments attributable to Shadow Minister for Tourism and Major Events, Heidi Victoria:

Eco-tourism provides a wealth of new opportunities for Victorian small businesses.

From wineries to hotels to nature-based tourist options, this project has the potential to invigorate our state.

Media contact: Michael Lewis 0433 495 454 micahel.lewis@opposition.vic.gov.au
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Leaf T

Re: And in Victoria

Postby Leaf T » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Is this an advertisement? For a feasibility study?

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 am

Leaf T wrote:Is this an advertisement? For a feasibility study?
Yes, it is definitely an advertisement, Vote for us!

Mike

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am

Half a million for paperwork from consultants .. no productive outcome. I vote NO.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am

Warin wrote:Half a million for paperwork from consultants .. no productive outcome. I vote NO.
:lol: :lol: I agree!

Mathew Guy...Urgggghh. Loathsome creature. The thought of him is making me wish I hadn't read this thread again.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Leaf T wrote:
Warin wrote:Half a million for paperwork from consultants .. no productive outcome. I vote NO.
:lol: :lol: I agree!

Mathew Guy...Urgggghh. Loathsome creature. The thought of him is making me wish I hadn't read this thread again.
IMHO the other side are no better.
We were planning to take the tandem on the train up to Albury in May to tour along the Murray.
I have just read on a site that discusses rail matters that the passenger service to Albury will not run between March and June.
Hang on maybe we can get on the XPT but it will mean boxing the bike.

Mike

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Only applies for the one weekend in March (17-18th) according to PTV website.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/live-travel- ... arch-2018/

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 am

Scintilla wrote:Only applies for the one weekend in March (17-18th) according to PTV website.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/live-travel- ... arch-2018/
Includes Monday 19 March but better than a four month shut down!

Mike

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks for the heads up we were planning on using the Albury line train for a tour on Mon 19th. Will we get our bikes on board the bus?

"There is limited space for bikes on V/Line trains and coach replacement services."

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 am

Uncle Just wrote:Thanks for the heads up we were planning on using the Albury line train for a tour on Mon 19th. Will we get our bikes on board the bus?

"There is limited space for bikes on V/Line trains and coach replacement services."
The limited space for bikes on coach replacement services is new to me.
It was always my understanding that it was definitely a no no unless you encountered a very understanding coach driver.
I would be making a few more enquiries.

Mike

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:29 am

I agree. We will adjust the schedule accordingly. Can't be fussed standing there at SCS in the early morning wondering if a considerate bus driver will load our bikes.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Thanks for the heads up we were planning on using the Albury line train for a tour on Mon 19th. Will we get our bikes on board the bus?

If you have just one or two bikes you should have no great problems. There are generally at least 4-5 coaches to replace each train, and each coach can easily fit 2-6 bikes aboard. It IS dependent upon the amount of passenger luggage, but for an average northbound Monday service, you should be fine.

Friends of mine did this when the Gippsland service had coach replacements and got aboard all OK.