Help! Last minute change of plans-cancelling Cairns holiday for flooding, but where to cycle?

lagourmande

Help! Last minute change of plans-cancelling Cairns holiday for flooding, but where to cycle?

Postby lagourmande » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:34 am

Hello,

I'm seeking advice because I'm a cyclist who's in Australia for the first time and though I had thought that the little extra time I'd have after my business trip would bring me up to the Reef, I see horrific flooding and people are telling me not to go to Port Douglas, where I have a 5 day holiday already booked and organized. I have about 5 days, and I hadn't planned to bike-camp, and I have my road shoes, kit, a blinking light and a rainjacket and that's about it with me, having thought to rent a bike in Melbourne to do the Wall and some other day rides there after work. Now, because of the flooding, I have a last-minute opportunity to switch up my itinerary and go somewhere and bike more seriously; suggestions made to me include going to Uluru and biking around there, biking in the Outback, the Great Ocean Road, I read about Tasmania ... what would be your best pick? Caveats are that I have my suitcase, have to rent a bike, and am a woman traveling alone. I usually ride about 160k/week gravel at home on a cross bike, don't mind climbing at all, and have several 100mile races lined up back home when I get back, so I don't mind distance, but I don't have much in the way of equipment with me.

Thanks for your advice!
M

RonK

Re: Help! Last minute change of plans-cancelling Cairns holiday for flooding, but where to cycle?

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am

You don't say how much time you have, but since you will be Melbourne I would also suggest the GOR, but beware it is a popular tourist drive and traffic can be heavy at times. You could even continue on to Adelaide if you can handle a longish day along the Limestone Coast.

I'd also suggest the east coast of Tasmania or a full lap if you have time, you can get an ferry across Bass Strait.

There is an excellent cycle touring guide for Tasmania. You can pick up a hard copy from Discover Tasmania Visitor Information Centres. Self-Guided Cycle Touring in Tasmania

I have used this guide myself. It is possible to tour Tasmania without camping. You will have to put in a longish day on the west coast between Derwent Bridge and Queenstown if you go that way.

You should be able to store your suitcase at a hotel in Melbourne. You can hire a bike here and may also find some more route ideas.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Warin

Re: Help! Last minute change of plans-cancelling Cairns holiday for flooding, but where to cycle?

Postby Warin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:24 am

My pick would be Tasmania - east coast.