Tablet/Garmin/navigation question

gregmacc

Tablet/Garmin/navigation question

Postby gregmacc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi all ...
Can anyone help with a technical problem? My wife and I are about to do a 3 month tour of Germany and France. As a navigation aid to using regional Michelin maps we want to use our Garmin Edge 810. We want to take our Galaxy Tab S2 for general computing and entertainment (nice and light and compact). Presently I can produce GPX files on the "Ride with GPS" website and download them to the tablet. However I am unable to transfer the file from the tablet to the Garmin. I have a micro USB to USB (OTG) adaptor cable to connect the 2 devices and by all accounts the Tab S2 is OTG compatible. I've experimented with various Android apps but so far have had no luck ... any ideas?

Tim

Re: Tablet/Garmin/navigation question

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am

Transferring files is not something I'm overly familiar with but I'd suggest downloading the Garmin Connect app to your tablet.
Transfer or create the course file to/on the tablet in Connect and it should then be simple downloading it to your 810.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 am

Not that this is much help but I have had success transfering files to my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 but I haven't tried it the other way.

I am curious but as to why you are not downloading your GPX files directly to the Garmin? I appreciate that it will more difficult if you want to create new ones whilst you are in Germany but for your pre-planned rides this might be a better option, no?

rooftop

Postby rooftop » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm

My method for my Edge 1000 is:
  1. Export the TCX file from Ride With GPS.
  2. Upload the TCX file to the Garmin Connect website as a course.
  3. Download the course using the Garmin Connect app on my phone.
  4. Transfer the course to the GPS using the Garmin Connect app on my phone.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:02 pm

rooftop wrote:My method for my Edge 1000 is:
  1. Export the TCX file from Ride With GPS.
  2. Upload the TCX file to the Garmin Connect website as a course.
  3. Download the course using the Garmin Connect app on my phone.
  4. Transfer the course to the GPS using the Garmin Connect app on my phone.
+1 for this. TCX is the course you want. This is how I send courses to my kids' Garmins!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks for the replies folks ... I'm at work at the moment so will try these suggestions tomorrow and respond with the results ...

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I use a method pretty much as described above

Just for clarity, the described methods assume that you have an internet connection on the tablet, so that you can upload files to garmin connect website, and also that you have a bluetooth connection between the tablet and the garmin. Also, you need to use both the garmin connect website and the garmin app on the tablet.

When you go to the garmin connect website, you need to go the course builder, and use the "import" option. This is easy to miss! It is in relatively small text, right below the "create a course" tab. Once you have saved your course, you then need to use the garmin app to send the course by bluetooth to the device.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm

As I create my routes on my MacbookPro I don't bother with Garmin Connect. I find it a simple matter of transfering my TCX files directly to my Garmin Edge 1030 from http://ridewithgps.com using a USB cable.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 am

Aushiker wrote:...transfering my TCX files directly to my Garmin Edge 1030 from http://ridewithgps.com using a USB cable.
Hmmm. Bikeroutetoaster used to let you do that; it was brilliant. You could choose the pace of your virtual partner too. Sigh.

I'm assuming the 8-series Edge has the same functionality to copy to the SD card.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Many thanks to everybody who responded on this forum and a couple of others for the ideas and suggestions ... the crisis has been averted. Turns out my USB OTG cable was the problem. Today I purchased one of these, plugged it in and bingo ... life is good.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/usb2-0-otg-fe ... g/p/WC7725
I've also been able to win the battle with the somewhat clunky Bluetooth functionality of the Garmin 810. I'm now able to sync routes to the Garmin that I've created and downloaded from Garmin Connect. And, if for some reason both of those options are not viable, the micro SD card from the 810 can be transferred, and written directly to when inserted into the tablet's SD card drawer. That's an option that would quickly become tedious but its reassuring to know it's there in the worst case scenario.