LEG1 - Queenscliff to Canberra

WanderingPom

LEG1 - Queenscliff to Canberra

Postby WanderingPom » Sun May 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Hello folks,

I've finally got round to commencing plans for my 'trip of a lifetime' around Aus having had to delay things by three years due to work and health issues. Originally I'd have been setting off this year but now it'll be when the pensions start to kick-in in three years time. I've a ton to sort out in the meantime, not least of which is emigration as the end point (Malaysia if all goes to plan).

Very broadly speaking my desired trip is Sydney - Canberra - Melbourne - Adelaide - Darwin. Because it's such a long way (especially for a little old fella on a bike) I've broken it down into (relatively!) small chunks and I'd like to ask about each in turn before moving onto the next. I know it's a really big ask and all I can offer in return is a cold beer if I meet you along the way. At this stage I want to ask about routes only this year and next year I can go back and add points of interest, must-do detours, etc.

My trip will be unsupported and sleeping under canvas, where possible on Crown land when and if available, campsites and corners of fields (with permission) otherwise.

Duration is hoped to be one year, the maximum visa I'll be able to get, and should allow for plenty of sightseeing, rest days and so on.

Just a note to say I'm not being lazy by asking a question and walking away - I'm busying myself reading [what feels like] a million pages of blogs, travel journals, books and maps to get an idea of the roads network, what to avoid etc. I'm just very aware that local knowledge is often key to a successful route.

LEG 1: Sydney to Canberra
Starting point is a mate's house in Queenscliff by Manly beach.

With enormous thanks for any suggestions and input.

robbo mcs

Re: LEG1 - Queenscliff to Canberra

Postby robbo mcs » Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm

For sydney canberra there were several good options discussed on this thread

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =2&t=95236

Good luck :D

WanderingPom

Re: LEG1 - Queenscliff to Canberra

Postby WanderingPom » Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Ah, I'd not spotted that one. Thanks very much, just what I needed 8)