Darwin to Perth Trip this August - Advice for routes and general tips appreciated!

morrison1ma

Darwin to Perth Trip this August - Advice for routes and general tips appreciated!

Postby morrison1ma » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Hello,

I'm flying to Darwin at the end of this week and plan on cycling to Perth starting next week. I recently finished a cycling trip from Sydney to Brisbane and loved it! I would really appreciate any input from anyone with experience cycling long distances in NT and Western Australia: good roads/routes to take, camping areas, and some cool things/places to see along the way. Thank you and happy riding!

Warin

Re: Darwin to Perth Trip this August - Advice for routes and general tips appreciated!

Postby Warin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Much much longer distances between things in that area of the world.
And you'll want water ... and shade.

Do you like dirt roads? If so then Gibb River Road beckons.

-----------------
Darwin is usually 32 C max .. any time of year. So it will be warm. Do see the art gallery.
I'd also do Litchfield NP. Kakadu is a long way away .. take a tour if you want to do that.

There not many choices of road. :?
And some things are a far way off the road. And there is a lot of ground to cover.
What will determine your sightseeing is the amount of time you have available for the trip.
Take your time .. you can always catch a bus/plane back if you run out of time.
Be a pity to miss something because you 'needed' to get to Perth by a certain date.

morrison1ma

Re: Darwin to Perth Trip this August - Advice for routes and general tips appreciated!

Postby morrison1ma » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely get an extra water bladder to have more water capacity than I needed on the Southeast coast. Luckily, I don't have a time limit on my trip and the Gibb River Rd. Looks like a great adventure!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:58 pm

There's another thread from about a year ago with a whole pile of good advice. Fire up your favourite search engine.

Also check out crazyguyonabike - there's bound to be people who've done sections of your trip.

Note that the shortest route is 3,600km The coast route is closer to 4,000km
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I think Aushiker did Darwin to Perth back in 2012 or so.
Perhaps Andrew will come up and comment.
In any case a search on Aushiker Darwin to Perth will find it.