Missing Cycle-tourist? Darwin River

rifraf

Missing Cycle-tourist? Darwin River

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:09 am

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Media-Centre/ ... River.aspx

Appeal for information - Bicycle and camping gear found abandoned - Darwin River

Thursday 27-Sep-2018 10:23

Northern Territory Police are appealing for information about the owner of a bicycle, bicycle gear and camping gear found possibly abandoned on Old Bynoe Road, Darwin River on 17 September 2018.
The bicycle, bicycle gear and camping gear was located approximately 6.4 kilometres from the Stuart Highway and police would like to establish the welfare of the owner.

The bicycle was found leaning against a tree with some gear attached to it and other gear nearby.

None of the property appeared to have been dumped and was not concealed. No major damage was evident and no identification was located amongst the property.

An observer has noted that the bicycle and gear has been at the location for up to two weeks.

The bicycle is described as Momentum R120 road bike in good condition. Attached to the handle bars was a blue sleeping bag or swag, an electronic tracker and a plastic green dinosaur. On the rear of the bike was a bike rack with two galvanized pipes, and three aluminium drink holders were attached to the cross bar.

Other gear consisted of two large water bottles approximately three quarters full, a tent, sleeping bag, first aid kit and bush shower.

If you believe you have information relating to the whereabouts of the owner, please call police on 131 444 or Crime Stoppers anonymously on 1800 333 000.

I spotted this here: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1157 ... arwin.html
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Mike Ayling

Re: Missing Cycle-tourist? Darwin River

Postby Mike Ayling » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:36 am

He decided to bail out and returned to Darwin by bus.

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Media-Centre/ ... River.aspx

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Well spotted Mike,

I'd stopped looking for updates.

It would have been a worrying time for the families and friends of long distance cycle-tourists who are touring in the top end and a little lax at keeping in touch.

Good that police can put this case to bed and move onto more needy cases.

I'm glad the Italian national who dumped their gear got in contact to let the authorities know they were safe and sound as opposed to croc burley.

Its given me pause for thought about how often I let friends and family know how I'm doing and where I am whilst on tour.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

terryc

Postby terryc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Umm, not near water, so unlikely to be croc feed. Crocs will come out of water to investigate camp sites during the night, so make sure you camp well away, 100-200 metres. and collect your water by a billy on a long pole with a buddy keeping lookout.

Sign, the worst think about bicycle touring up north is you have to curb that urge to enjoy a lovely swim of an afternoon, then you coat up for the mossies.