Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby mcdurdin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 pm

I am currently fixing my 12th flat in as many weeks. I've picked up all but one of these on Bonnet Hill and Sandy Bay Rd -- glass every time. Replaced my tyres two weeks ago with Serfas Sera FPS which are supposed to have good puncture protection. So far, two punctures with the new tyres. I am checking the tyres each morning for glass etc. Just griping, but: are any other people experiencing similar rates of punctures, and, any suggestions? I'm riding the Bonnet 4-6 times a week, on a road bike...
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

by BNA » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

BNA
 

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby m@ » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

You mustve seriously p!ssed off the puncture fairy! :shock:
FWIW I commuted from near the shot tower every day for about 2 1/2 years, sometimes with some hill repeats thrown in and only ever had one puncture on sandy bay rd/channel hwy. A lot of that was on $15 27x1 1/4 tyres though more recently I've been running conti gp4000Ss.
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4616
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby BarryTas » Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 am

welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

I have not had a punture on Bonnet and i'd spent most days after work in the summer doing hill reps. I have busted spokes on Sandy Bay Road.
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby master6 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:27 am

mcdurdin wrote:I am currently fixing my 12th flat in as many weeks. I've picked up all but one of these on Bonnet Hill and Sandy Bay Rd -- glass every time. Replaced my tyres two weeks ago with Serfas Sera FPS which are supposed to have good puncture protection. So far, two punctures with the new tyres. I am checking the tyres each morning for glass etc. Just griping, but: are any other people experiencing similar rates of punctures, and, any suggestions? I'm riding the Bonnet 4-6 times a week, on a road bike...

Suggestions? Try another course.
master6
 
Posts: 2684
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby mcdurdin » Thu May 20, 2010 10:41 am

master6 wrote:Suggestions? Try another course.


I should have said it's my commute route. Only other real option time-wise is Southern Outlet and that doesn't really appeal and I'd be dubious as to how much better it would be for punctures anyway. :). But thanks for the suggestion.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby RobRollin » Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Ive been getting cut up lately due to the cold mornings, dew, rain and glass on the roads and bike track. I just bought a new winter tire, I wore my Michelin Pro III to the thread over 3000kms.
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby mcdurdin » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Checked the tyre this morning and it is ruined -- split with the tube coming through. So had to get a new tyre today. The old one was only 2 weeks old, but Treadlies in Kingston just offered me a replacement tyre free of charge so that was very nice of them.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby master6 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:34 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Checked the tyre this morning and it is ruined -- split with the tube coming through. So had to get a new tyre today. The old one was only 2 weeks old, but Treadlies in Kingston just offered me a replacement tyre free of charge so that was very nice of them.


Very, very nice of them.
master6
 
Posts: 2684
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby Baldy » Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Yeah its hard to say, over summer I never had any problems with the bonnet and only 1 flat in lower Sandy bay in the wet.

Since its your commute I'd be looking at tire choice and where you ride on the road. Try and stick to the left hand wheel marks when you can, cars will sweep most of the junk for you.
As for tires I dont really know, my Bontrager racelite hardcases have been good thats all I can offer.
Baldy
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby mcdurdin » Thu May 20, 2010 5:00 pm

FWIW last year I commuted over the Bonnet probably over 100 times and got only 1 puncture, and that was basically on the 'canvas' so not that surprising really. Got new tyres in January so I guess it really is the tyres. Those were shredded a couple of weeks ago and replaced with Serfas Sera FPS which lasted only 2 weeks. I just wondered if the level of glass on the road had increased or if I was just unlucky. I might just be unlucky -- although given that I couldn't ride in today and looking at the weather, not sure if I am really feeling unlucky just now.
Baldy wrote:Since its your commute I'd be looking at tire choice and where you ride on the road. Try and stick to the left hand wheel marks when you can, cars will sweep most of the junk for you.

Yep. The last puncture was at the top of the bike 'lane' above the shot tower. Saw the glass too late in the wet and dark and had nowhere to go. Tried to sweep as much off the lane as I could see.
Baldy wrote:As for tires I dont really know, my Bontrager racelite hardcases have been good thats all I can offer.

Just picked up a pair of these today (before I got the call from Treadlies!) so I guess we'll find out! Now have a spare tyre. Perhaps I should carry it in my backpack... :)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Punctures, Bonnet Hill and glass

Postby Spork! » Thu May 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Does that tire slime stuff work in bike tires? Fixed the rear tires on my ride on mower, they had huge splits in them. I realise the extra rotational mass wouldn't be suitable for racing, but for commuting the time and expense of fixing all those flats may well be worth the additional weight.
User avatar
Spork!
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:50 pm


Return to Tasmania

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers