Rail network may be state bike track

Rail network may be state bike track

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:18 pm

oh God please let it be so and one day thay will let the rail network be a bike track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :D :D :D :lol:

But could you imagine to abuse it would get from motor bikes? :roll: :roll:
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

by BNA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:29 pm

BNA

Re: Rail network may be state bike track

Postby RobRollin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Interesting news, where did that come from? If you think about it, rail isnt allowed to run over more than a 5% ascent on the line so the track would be almost flat! :o
RobRollin

Postby master6 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:32 pm

On the other hand Barry, the rail network could be used for running more trains, including low fare passenger services, and we could ride the roads with less traffic. Last week my wife and I took a drive out to Colebrook, and then accross to Woodsdale and Runnymeade. The rail line is in view of the road at a couple of places, and it winds like a crazy snake through the hills. What a great rail trip for passengers. What a great bike trip on the road we took too, if you love hills, and dont mind some unsealed road.
Sorry Barry, I have interrupted your appeal to the Almighty.
Should I go on?
master6

Postby RobRollin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Actually your on the right track Geoff as it would be a great tourism boost to Hobart and the Midlands and rest of Tasmania. Imagine a rail trip from Hobart through the Midlands (does it goto the West coast?). Much more scenic than the highway.
RobRollin

Postby Cam » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:00 pm

As much as it would be nice... I can't see it being financially viable to turn it into a bike path... at least not for roadies.

Although like the others have alluded to, it could possibly take some of the cars off the road, which would also benefit us!
Orbea Enol 09
Cam

Postby BarryTas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm

it's in the Mockery..Mercury. It's idea that Bartlett has been licking around. They could put the bike track next to the rail line.

This whole thing will never happen as it would cost far too much. But maybe one day it may happen, we can only dream!!!!!!!
when do we stop for coffee???

BarryTas

Postby Baldy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Its not one or the other. The proposal is to run the cycle track alongside the rail.

The idea has been around for quite some time[before David and Nick were velo buddies]

It might work but only if they can build it much much cheaper than what they do now. Private contractors rather than council maybe?

The idea got another run in todays Mercury, I guess thats what Barry has seen.

Rant/ 2million over 4years for cycling infrastructure, how pathetic :roll: /end rant
Baldy

Postby master6 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:46 pm

RobRollin wrote:Actually your on the right track Geoff as it would be a great tourism boost to Hobart and the Midlands and rest of Tasmania. Imagine a rail trip from Hobart through the Midlands (does it goto the West coast?). Much more scenic than the highway.

I was a daily rail commuter, Kyneton to Melbourne and return, in the early 70's, when cattle wagons did the job as passenger rail cars. It was always a race in the afternoon to get a seat in the Dining Car on the way home. If you bought food, one toasted sandwich was sufficient, you were free to buy grog all the way home, and enjoy the extra comfort free of charge.
Can you imagine our Saturday ride. Leave Hobart in the morning , and ride half way to Launceston, or anywhere along the line where the train could stop. Coffee at the Railway Coffee shop, and booze and bull'hit in the dining car back to Hobart. Season tickets available. Concession prices for non pedalling partners who want to ride the train both ways.
I dont have a monopoly on great ideas Rob; take it away!
Jeff ("Geoff" is the bloke who built my frame)
master6

Postby Spork! » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Hardly a new idea... :wink:
Spork!

Postby master6 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Spork! wrote:Image
Hardly a new idea... :wink:

Missing from the photo, perhaps, is the locomotive used as a pace vehicle. I imagine that the "track " would look rather narrow at over 100MPH. It would be even more narrow on Tasmanias toy railway narrow guage track.
master6

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:06 pm

master6 wrote:Can you imagine our Saturday ride. Leave Hobart in the morning , and ride half way to Launceston, or anywhere along the line where the train could stop. Coffee at the Railway Coffee shop, and booze and bull'hit in the dining car back to Hobart. Season tickets available. Concession prices for non pedalling partners who want to ride the train both ways.

You mean you'll take the Cyclists' Special ? :wink: 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1KxPjh4RM&feature=enabled[/youtube]
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Return to Tasmania