Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

Baldy

Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

Postby Baldy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:04 pm

Anyone here planning to do this ride?

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows the roads they are using and can give me some kind of comparison to the roads down here.

What I am trying to work out is my potential average speed. They ask you to nominate it when you register, so they can color code the wrist bands for starting group positions.

I did a 100km loop a while back that according to the Garmin had 1300m climbing and my average was 24kph.
The events route has 920m climbing in 160km.http://app.strava.com/rides/1062170

I have had two group rides in the last year and the plan is to stick with a group for the ride, so I am not sure what we might average. I am not too worried about the distance, I have done 135km before with 110 of that solo. Again more climbing. So if I am healthy I will be fine I think.

I was thinking about 28kph might be about my pacegroup ? I guess the smart thing to do would be over estimate and if the pace is too much you can then drop back and find the next fastest group to try.....porridge style :lol: If you underestimate you might be in for a long day on the front or on your lonesome, chasing.

http://www.usmevents.com.au/Assets/USM+ ... on-map.pdf map

http://www.usmevents.com.au/Cycling/Lau ... _Fondo.htm main page

mcdurdin

Re: Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

Postby mcdurdin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I've registered to ride, optimistically in the 32+ km/h group ;-)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Cool thanks Mark. Knowing your times on strava gives me some idea. The 28-30 group sounds good to me, at least there will be company behind if I run out of steam. Although it looks mostly downhill after the climb.

Its temping to go flat out on that timed climb. But having nearly 100km still to do after it has me thinking otherwise. I think I will just aim for the best overall time I can if I'm feeling ok and just finishing will do if its an average day[like the last few days, flat/sluggish]

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:17 am

i will be doing this!!!!!!!! cant wait

32kmph as well for me. There will be quite a few Hobart riders from DOME in that group we can ride together
when do we stop for coffee???

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm

I will be racing in Launceston so won't be riding the Gran Fondo but looking forward to a great weekend racing

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Well no turning back now! Registered, got a jersey and paid for my accommodation. It should be a great weekend I'm really looking forward to it.

Thought I would have a real crack and went for the 30-32 group. I read that the climb is 3-5% for 8km, so long enough but should be no steeper bits to blow me up. If I can make it to the top with a group I think I can do 30.....or go bloody close in a quivering ball of sweat and pain :twisted: :lol:

Is anyone going to do a 160km ride beforehand as a test? I dont think I will, I really dont like the idea of having any set plan. But for this I just want to be healthy and have some km's in the legs in the 2weeks leading up to it. So the usual 40-60km mtb rides, similar distance road rides with a couple of 100k rides[which will have more climbing than the OGF] is the general idea. The idea is to just do what I normally do but go a bit quicker more consistently. I better be careful, its starting to sound like training :lol:

I wouldnt mind getting in a couple of group rides leading up to it, to get comfortable riding in a bunch again. If my motivation levels and the weather conspire then a race with the vets should help. Or even the Dome group, which is probably twice the size of D-grade anyway?

So as it stands the groups are...

32kph+ Everyone!
30-32kph Baldy

I need a wingperson.....

Releng

Postby Releng » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Baldy,
I have entered with the 28-30 group. There are a couple of fair hills on the return through Relbia that will test me a bit given that there will be 140Ks in the legs. I have ridden most of the route, but have never ridden up Holwell Hill, I might check it out this weekend if i can get a leave pass.
Mick

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 am

Baldy wrote:Well no turning back now! Registered, got a jersey and paid for my accommodation. It should be a great weekend I'm really looking forward to it.

Thought I would have a real crack and went for the 30-32 group. I read that the climb is 3-5% for 8km, so long enough but should be no steeper bits to blow me up. If I can make it to the top with a group I think I can do 30.....or go bloody close in a quivering ball of sweat and pain :twisted: :lol:

Is anyone going to do a 160km ride beforehand as a test? I dont think I will, I really dont like the idea of having any set plan. But for this I just want to be healthy and have some km's in the legs in the 2weeks leading up to it. So the usual 40-60km mtb rides, similar distance road rides with a couple of 100k rides[which will have more climbing than the OGF] is the general idea. The idea is to just do what I normally do but go a bit quicker more consistently. I better be careful, its starting to sound like training :lol:

I wouldnt mind getting in a couple of group rides leading up to it, to get comfortable riding in a bunch again. If my motivation levels and the weather conspire then a race with the vets should help. Or even the Dome group, which is probably twice the size of D-grade anyway?

So as it stands the groups are...

32kph+ Everyone!
30-32kph Baldy

I need a wingperson.....
Baldy come and do DOME rides for some training.

Also if you want a secret weapon for the hills and confidence booster, just put a high teeth cassette on, while you are at it get some new tyres and a new chain (all good things for boosting your confidence)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:21 am

Attention southerners

As there is a bit of interest in this ride, who is up for some training rides?

There are also some more big rides coming up
Sunday 13-Nov Bicycle Tasmania Channel 100 (Big Ride)
Sunday 4-Dec Seven Hills Dash (Possible date)……..210kms

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:26 am

Racing is good training Barry, get into it mate!

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:58 pm

$6500k BMC and it hasnt been raced. Iaintas and I agree, it should have a home which reguarly races it. Therefore it is now turned over to Iain and RobRollin :D

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

RobRollin wrote:$6500k BMC and it hasnt been raced. Iaintas and I agree, it should have a home which reguarly races it. Therefore it is now turned over to Iain and RobRollin :D

bah, it did do a solid 130kms at over 30kms per hour on saturday, with the wind and a bad knee

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:26 pm

And why didnt you race on sunday? if you had a good warm up on saturday!

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:31 am

another organised long ride

http://www.claremontrotary.org.au/Derwent/

skull

Postby skull » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 am

The Vets are racing out that way on that day as well, so will be a large amount of cyclists around.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 am

right so who is up for a loooong ride this sunday and show day?

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 am

show day yep, this sunday no as hell of the south race is on.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 am

Barry the Hell of the south would suit you nicely, some rolling hills and a good climb, you know you want too.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:29 pm

yeah, just do it!

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:02 pm

BarryTas wrote:right so who is up for a loooong ride this sunday and show day?
going thursday 13th out to bushy park from cornelllian bay if anyone is interested 9am after kid drop off at school
Felt AR2

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 pm

I agree with Iaintas....time to show up Barry! :shock: :wink:

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:57 am

BarryTas wrote:right so who is up for a loooong ride this sunday and show day?

lets meet (AT) 7:30

(AT) The Bike Shop
2/30 Derwent Park Road
Moonah TAS 7009...........easy access point to the Bowen and it's about half way between Skull and I

120-140kms, bring food and money

weather depending

EvandalePF

Postby EvandalePF » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Baldy wrote:Anyone here planning to do this ride?

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows the roads they are using and can give me some kind of comparison to the roads down here.
I don't know the roads 'down there' in Hobart, but I can speak with some experience of the Gran Fondo route having done a little 'practice' of the section from Beaconsfield to Frankford a few weeks back. The terrain for the most part is fairly flat as it takes the road following the rivers edge right up to Beaconsfield, but from there through the climb and to Frankford its obviously a little bumpier. After Frankford it is again pretty much flat all the way through to Evandale, then with a few undulations on the way back into Launceston.

Its a bit hard to tell exactly which part of that section is the timed climb, for as you said it is listed as 8km, so I am working on the assumption that is actually two or three separate 'climbs' (that you can see here http://app.strava.com/rides/1893981 from 75km to ~84 km) with a bit of a dip in between. This means that the average figure is a bit misleading and the actual climb sections are closer to 7-8% average.

The road surface for most of the route is fine and large sections are on 'highways'. The only parts of the course that I was a bit concerned about given the numbers that will be on the ride (and knowing how everyone goes mad on mass rides!) are the descent into Sidmouth which is short but has some corners, and the sections after the KOM where the road continues to drop and rise sharply for about 5km with some 90 degree corners that could get tricky in a disorganised (and weary after flogging themselves on the KOM) group.

I too find it hard to pick which speed group to sign up for, but went with the 30-32km/hr group. Riding most of the route solo I averaged ~28km/hr but of course in a group ride the average goes up, and that was 'training' whereas on event day of course the temptation is to push yourself that little bit harder. Its also not clear if they mean 'whole route average' or 'average cruising speed' or 'average for the bits that aren't so tough' etc.

Good luck to everyone doing the ride too! :D

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:09 pm

EvandalePF wrote:
Baldy wrote:Anyone here planning to do this ride?

I don't know the roads 'down there' in Hobart, but I can speak with some experience of the Gran Fondo route having done a little 'practice' of the section from Beaconsfield to Frankford a few weeks back. The terrain for the most part is fairly flat as it takes the road following the rivers edge right up to Beaconsfield, but from there through the climb and to Frankford its obviously a little bumpier. After Frankford it is again pretty much flat all the way through to Evandale, then with a few undulations on the way back into Launceston.

Its a bit hard to tell exactly which part of that section is the timed climb, for as you said it is listed as 8km, so I am working on the assumption that is actually two or three separate 'climbs' (that you can see here http://app.strava.com/rides/1893981 from 75km to ~84 km) with a bit of a dip in between. This means that the average figure is a bit misleading and the actual climb sections are closer to 7-8% average.

The road surface for most of the route is fine and large sections are on 'highways'. The only parts of the course that I was a bit concerned about given the numbers that will be on the ride (and knowing how everyone goes mad on mass rides!) are the descent into Sidmouth which is short but has some corners, and the sections after the KOM where the road continues to drop and rise sharply for about 5km with some 90 degree corners that could get tricky in a disorganised (and weary after flogging themselves on the KOM) group.

I too find it hard to pick which speed group to sign up for, but went with the 30-32km/hr group. Riding most of the route solo I averaged ~28km/hr but of course in a group ride the average goes up, and that was 'training' whereas on event day of course the temptation is to push yourself that little bit harder. Its also not clear if they mean 'whole route average' or 'average cruising speed' or 'average for the bits that aren't so tough' etc.

Good luck to everyone doing the ride too! :D
Thanks very much for that mate, specially the info on the climb/climbs.

I cant bloody wait! For the ride and for Goss Vs Von Hoff 8)

skull

Postby skull » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Just registered.

Baldy I joined you in the 30-32 category but we'll just push forward and mix in with everyone else in the 32+ and suck their wheels for 160km.