Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

BarryTas

Re: Opperman Gran Fondo-- 160km

Postby BarryTas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 am

aaarrrgggg

What an “eventful” ride!!!!!  I’ve lost my riding legs I felt flat all week and had hurt my back on the Monday. I had both a phsio and a massager work on my back on the Thursday. Due to my back I could harly use my drops

Early on in the ride my back wheel slid out from under me, I rescued it but it then took many many kms to get my nerve back………I cant decend well in the best conditions.

Then a few kms before the hill climb the screws on my seat gave way. Thank Marc, Skull and Tax man for helping. Lucky Marc had the right allan key to fix my bike. But from that point on my seat was slopping down, just what my back needed.

I held on till Perth then I spent many kms chasing. I then strated to cramp. I saw and caught Shull who had the same cramp, same leg. We rode together until Skull got and unfixable flat then I rode to the finish.

oh na dit rained so much that my phone is water logged, sorry to anyone who has tried to call me

I still feel like &*&^&^^&*&*

Well done to all that attended.

Cheers guys for stopping to help with my mechanical

Congratulations to Marc and the tax man on their results

http://www.tomatoresults.com.au/Default ... =209&EId=1

PS next time gadget, next time
Last edited by BarryTas on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
when do we stop for coffee???

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 am

Baldy wrote:
Did you stop for some reason, you didnt mention it? There is not much another rider can do if you were sick/fatigued. And no way for them to know anything if you are still riding. There were so many people dying on the bike out there, you were not the lone ranger
I dropped my sunglasses whilst cleaning them at the 18kms mark. I wasnt going to stop, then decided abother 140kms without them in the rain, they were necessary and they did cost $300.

It didnt matter much in the end......., started cramping in the stomache,rode another 12-14ks in pain, doubled over the bike, a repeat of Greg Lemond 1989, team car came to pick me up. Disappointing day.

You will have to research what happened to Lemond in 89 :shock:

skull

Postby skull » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:04 am

That is a bit of bad going there Rob, where abouts did you pull up? I ended up with some rubbish guts at the end but luckily I had finished by then, mine was due to all the gels and electrolyte crap. My stomach doesn't handle it too well.

Yeah Baldy I was sporting my bright yellow rain jacket on Sunday, I started up the front with the others. Would have been no more than 10 from the front off the bunch riding out of lonnie. I was pretty devasted when the tyre blew.

Riding with Porte was a bit of a treat too, when he first appeared I thought to myself gee this dude looks familiar, before it clicked who it was. He rode out the front a bit but a few of us pulled a few turns as well. The Gen Wealth team started off with us at the beginning of the ride too, they turned around at about 20 or kms. I need to work out this cramping problem as the seven hills is on this sunday and I don't want to cramp up again like that.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 am

skull wrote:That is a bit of bad going there Rob, where abouts did you pull up? I ended up with some rubbish guts at the end but luckily I had finished by then, mine was due to all the gels and electrolyte crap. My stomach doesn't handle it too well.

Yeah Baldy I was sporting my bright yellow rain jacket on Sunday, I started up the front with the others. Would have been no more than 10 from the front off the bunch riding out of lonnie. I was pretty devasted when the tyre blew.

Riding with Porte was a bit of a treat too, when he first appeared I thought to myself gee this dude looks familiar, before it clicked who it was. He rode out the front a bit but a few of us pulled a few turns as well. The Gen Wealth team started off with us at the beginning of the ride too, they turned around at about 20 or kms. I need to work out this cramping problem as the seven hills is on this sunday and I don't want to cramp up again like that.

and Porte's girlfriend also rode with us.

it was crazy that our group caught the front group at Perth. But them the pace realy took off.

Rob, i hope you feel better
when do we stop for coffee???

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am

skull wrote:all the gels and electrolyte crap. My stomach doesn't handle it too well.
Im the same, those gels really do get my stomach churning. 7 hills is 7 to many as far as I'm concerned. haha.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:10 am

Had to do it, up goes the blog post: http://marc.durdin.net/2011/11/opperman-gran-fondo.html

No pix this time, weather didn't really suit :)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 pm

How many gels did you guys have? I ate[if thats the right word? drank?] two. Including breakfast I had 11 Bananas though :lol: Natures gels!

I know it must have been frustrating Rob but I reckon you should cut your mates some slack. It was a bit hectic out there when the groups were still together, well it was in the second group I dunno about the front. All I know is with a 5sec delay brakes, road spray,rain,unfamilar roads,fogging glasses and questionable bike handling by some around me I was looking out for number one. It sounds like Mark tried. Its a bit of a gamble going out the back looking for someone on a ride like that. If for some reason you cant find them you are then on your own. On a nice day, ah well just smash yourself and TT back on....but on your own in that weather? Not real inviting, as you would know because it led to part of your frustration eh?.

I did end up meeting up with some mates I ride with down here but we got split up on the hill. Im disappointed we didnt get to ride more of the day together but we agreed it was not a great day for waiting for each other. I know I never expected it to be that cold when you stopped.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Before I have some large men in dark suits from tourism Tas come to my door, I should point something out...

This is what the weather was like the the day before and after the No Fundo :mrgreen:

The Sunshine after the rain by Tassievelonut, on Flickr

skull

Postby skull » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Didn't stop at any of the aid stations.
I had two bottles of endura, 5-6 gels, 3 energy bars during ride.
5min before start a gel
1/2 before start up and go and banana
1 hr before start up 2 up and go's and 2 bananas + coffee with 2 sugars

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

1 gel
2 muesli bars (I think, kinda lost track...)
2 bananas
6 dinosaur lollies (thereabouts)
1 bottle water + 1 bottle gatorade

breakfast: 2 big bowls of muesli, about 1 1/2 hrs before start of ride. Night before, 2 big bowls of pasta...

Shoulda had that extra gel after Evandale but didn't.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Baldy - Marc and I had a good ol fist fight to sort out the differences :D

On the day I had
5 protein bars
6 gels
1 packet of chewable GU lollies

My instake was 1 bar and gel per hour, and 1 bottle per hour.

I actually ate, 1 bar and 1 gel and less than half a bottle before falling ill.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Sounds like I ate/drank more than 3 of you combined! I think I had about 5 bottles total, hard to tell because I just topped them up a couple of times.
I stopped at all the food stops and ate something at all of them, they also doubled as nature breaks.....that powerade type stuff seems to come out as quick as it goes in!

I'd rather a punch up than an e-war , less painfull....even for the loser :mrgreen:

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

I run over pair of glasses, they were in bits when I saw them......... a few more after I hit them

I consumed probably 6 gels a few bars & whatever I could eat at the aid stations, felt absolutely crap after the ride though, must be all the sugar consumed, going out for dinner afterwards fixed that though.

Never had enough at the Hagley Aid station & ran out of food just before the flying mile at longford, but sucked in a gel, perked me up pretty quickly.

Had a great ride but I wont be riding in the rain like that again, too hard on my bike I think........... and me.........also my Garmin may have picked up a bit of water, its gone a bit foggy, maybe another cost to hide from my wife, if it doesnt dry out :roll: :roll:
Felt AR2

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey Baz, no they were White Oakley and in perfect condition when I picked them up.

I had based my nutrition on what I ate for ATB, and being a bigger rider, I burn my energy therfore need to eat more. Also I planned my nutrition for 7 days leading up to the gran fondo, knowing I was going to race on the Sunday it was about limiting the damage to my legs. I've gone back to back long rides and raced now over the past few months and know my body and whats required to keep going. :D

Releng

Postby Releng » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I had a great day. Well it felt fantastic to finish.
I was on the course for 7 hours, 10 minutes. Not quick but at least I finished.
I stopped at all the aid stations, with a couple of extra stops as well to help with a puncture repair and get a crasher going again.
I slipped off myself stopping for a girl who had crashed. Took off some skin and wrecked my sunnies that were in my back pocket.

I thought the organisers and helpers around the course were great. The whole thing was very well done. Pity about the weather and the road works on Mill Road.

I did not see any of you BNA lot, but I would not know you if I crashed into you. I should have made the effort to catch up with Rob before the start.

The Western Tiers challenge is probably next in March.
http://www.tas.cyclechallenge.org.au/

See you there for another 160K. Now I know I can manage the distance, next time I can work on going a bit quicker.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Releng I will be travelling to Melb for Ottways in March, riding with the LAID Cycling Team.

Hopefully we will catch u shortly, or come down for the Century ride?

http://www.supersprint.com.au/events/2x ... -2012.aspx

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm

Seems like a good opportunity to put some faces to names with those photos. Even if the faces are a grotty, snot covered snarl :lol: Join in only if you want to 8)

I'll go first... http://www.robburnettimages.com.au/gran ... #h1cef017f

I'm gonna buy one or two. Not a great day for standing around up there, good on him for taking the initiative.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:39 pm

http://www.robburnettimages.com.au/gran ... 6a#hc3076a

Wish I hadnt used those wheels, have to try to get a rock out of them thats inbetween the carbon flaring & rim :evil: :evil:
Felt AR2

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Nice one Baz, still out of the saddle 8)

What are your options for getting the stone out? Tweezers at the hole in the fairing or remove a spoke I spose?

If you are gonna take out a spoke I'd just take them to the shop and get them serviced, it cant hurt after that ride eh. Thinking about taking mine in but I only had them done very recently and they seemed fine on Sundays ride. Plus they are 1/4 the price of your weapons/babies :mrgreen:

skull

Postby skull » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:32 pm

Me thinking I hope the others waited at the top for me

http://www.robburnettimages.com.au/gran ... a#he75be0f

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Baldy wrote:Nice one Baz, still out of the saddle 8)

What are your options for getting the stone out? Tweezers at the hole in the fairing or remove a spoke I spose?

If you are gonna take out a spoke I'd just take them to the shop and get them serviced, it cant hurt after that ride eh. Thinking about taking mine in but I only had them done very recently and they seemed fine on Sundays ride. Plus they are 1/4 the price of your weapons/babies :mrgreen:
take the tyre & tube out & hopefully it will fall out the tube stem hole........

But with my luck that probably wont happen :roll: :roll:
Felt AR2

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Ah I see. Is the fairing and the rim two separate cavities/channels? Like you have a regular shaped rim and the deep section is stuck on top of it for its aero/stiffness benefits ? I guess there is one way to find out!

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Well here I am.....I wont tell you what state I was in.....but from my previous explanations....you could guess...glad I wasnt riding behind me :shock: :?

http://www.robburnettimages.com.au/gran ... #h1b4ecc3a

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

The pictures of me are pretty bad. I won't share them, wouldn't want you to have bad dreams