why dont you race?

iaintas

why dont you race?

Postby iaintas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I have noticed lately that there are lots and lots of cyclists around Hobart on the weekends and even weekdays, but so few come racing at the vets, we all know cyclists can be a competitive bunch of people so why so few racing down this way? At the open race the other day there was only 15 cyclists. pretty piss poor really.

Max

why dont you race?

Postby Max » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:45 pm

I can't comment for the Taswegians, but I will say that I will never ever race. It's because I love riding too much to spoil it by getting ultra-competitive about it. Some pleasures should just be left as they are, pure and unspoiled.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

skull

Re: why dont you race?

Postby skull » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:00 pm

racing the vets doesn't have to be ultra-competitive.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:18 pm

actually i find its the opposite, very good supportive group out at the vets, everyone is just happy to have more people along joining in the fun :)

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Sometimes I cant be bothered, sometimes its the weather.

As well as being allergic to pain in general :oops: :lol:

I had one race 11months ago, so I guess I am due for my next one. I did have fun, so that was not the reason for not racing since.

If i can get into a few races while the weather is nice over summer, I might catch the bug.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 pm

also racing is a pretty good form of training.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:52 am

For me: lack of time; other commitments.

The Vets only race on Sunday mornings (apart from their time trial series which doesn't really count). Even the name of the Southern Tasmanian Veterans Cycling Club is going to dissuade people: it sounds like it's only for old guys on steel frame bikes. I certainly thought that for a long time, didn't think I was old enough to join.
skull wrote:also racing is a pretty good form of training.
This is pretty funny: training ... for what? Racing? If you aren't going to race then why train?
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 am

"i will i will" i wish that the STVCC (vets) raced on a saturday. Because as it stands, if i race on a Sunday i cant realy do a looong ride on a saurday
when do we stop for coffee???

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 am

Max wrote:I can't comment for the Taswegians, but I will say that I will never ever race. It's because I love riding too much to spoil it by getting ultra-competitive about it. Some pleasures should just be left as they are, pure and unspoiled.

Max
+ 1
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 am

BarryTas wrote:"i will i will" i wish that the STVCC (vets) raced on a saturday. Because as it stands, if i race on a Sunday i cant realy do a looong ride on a saurday
Why not barry there is a few of us that either do 120-130km rides on Saturday then race on Sunday, last week was the exception with hill repeats on Saturday with racing on Sunday.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 am

i know i know i will i will

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 am

I reckon I would love racing, but mrs S is very protective of me since I have several medical conditions. Just another couple of reasons why one might not race.

Jon

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:53 am

Young kids.

When they get older and don't want to know me any more, I'll do it then.

It'd be good if I can get at least one of them interested, but that is a few years off yet.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 am

Oxford wrote:Some people road race to "train" for other types of cycle racing such as MTB. When I was training for solo 24hr MTB racing, I liked to road race crit's as a physical and mental type of training, it used to push me to limits I never would have when just doing "normal" training. I also used to do 12hr races as training for 24hr racing.

One person's race is another person's training and equally one person's training is often another person's racing.
Uh Oxford, I don't think you're hearing me: if you are not going to *race*, then why *train*? Of course racing is the best training, just ask Jack Bobridge. But if someone isn't interested in racing (of any kind), then suggesting that they race to train is still pretty amusing.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 am

mcdurdin wrote:
This is pretty funny: training ... for what? Racing? If you aren't going to race then why train?
To be fit, lean and healthy. You don't necessarily need to be fast and have to win to enjoy racing.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am

skull wrote:To be fit, lean and healthy. You don't necessarily need to be fast and have to win to enjoy racing.
Most people call this "exercise"

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 am

iaintas wrote:I have noticed lately that there are lots and lots of cyclists around Hobart on the weekends and even weekdays, but so few come racing at the vets, we all know cyclists can be a competitive bunch of people so why so few racing down this way? At the open race the other day there was only 15 cyclists. pretty piss poor really.
at a local POV the STVCC don’t advertise much and there is still confusion among the cycling community abut who can race (although this is all clearly discussed on their web site) with that particular race with only 15 participants, i think it was due to the course... it was hilly.

I do agree with Iain, there should be more riders racing at the VETS. At Amy's ride, the TAS Bike week century ride, and the multi sport events there are many many riders participating

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Of the riders I have spoken to that dont race Nearly all of them had no idea the qualifying age was only 30.

When I first saw the name I thought it was a club for ex servicemen.

Training/exercise ...meh pretty interchangeable I think. Maybe its an Americanism? The term personal trainer comes to mind. You could say while training your body you are also engaged in exercise.

This post was harder work than my last ride :mrgreen:

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:50 pm

OTTOMH:

I do not really want to fork out for a license.
I am probably not fast enough.
Have other stuff to do so not sure if I want to/can invest the time to become fast enough.
Commute ~48km most days which would likely interfere with proper training - no rest days etc
I'm not a born athlete anyway, seriously.
I do not like riding in large groups.
I prefer the tour for a day bit of Audax (seriously, I have probably cycled over more of Sydney/Central Coast/Blue Mountains than I have driven) rather than riding around in circles, and that pretty much fills up my time quota for recreational riding.
I feel the challenge of having hurty legs, but still having to ride 100+km more.... challenging?

LG

Postby LG » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 am

I ride most days, but never race. During the week the riding is for transport, during the weekends I ride for sport, often with friends. Some people I ride with are faster than me, some are not. We don't leave each other behind. I'm not a very competitive person but do enjoy occasionally challenging myself on a hill or over an extended distance. For me I can get pretty much all I want fitness wise, socially, cost savings from transport and purely fun out of cycling without the need to race.

It's each to their own, and I have respect for those that choose to race. I'll never say never to racing, but don't have a burning desire at the moment.
LG = Low Gear

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 am

Not a big fan of racing...... Bit too much elitism.... too serious. I like that you push yourself when in / with a group, other than that it's not that much fun.

Vets rule ( meaning that they are the most mellow of all racers ).
Last edited by gururug on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:17 pm

gururug wrote:Not a big fan of racing...... Bit too much elitism.... too serious. I like that you push yourself when in / with a group, other than that it's that much fun for me. Vets rule.
haven't come across any elitism at the vets.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I don't need to prove to 'strangers that race' that I am faster or slower then them...

I can have all the fun I need when I ride with my friends...
We have little sprints, and challenges who is up that little hill first...
This is also cheaper, as I don't need a racing permit.
Is not as dangerous, as we 'race' for fun, and none of us 'needs' to win.

I don't see the need for me to pay money so that I can compete, when I can do it already for free. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

skull

Postby skull » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:54 pm

damhooligan wrote: This is also cheaper, as I don't need a racing permit.
Is not as dangerous, as we 'race' for fun, and none of us 'needs' to win.

I don't see the need for me to pay money so that I can compete, when I can do it already for free. :wink:
Free until there is a accident and due to not having a CA licence and assuming you haven't got personal insurance for riding there could be large financial loss. That is why a CA licence is worth it. Also races have council approval via permits and marshals for safety.

The vets have also recently had the local plods come and patrol around during the race to discourage any motorists that might get their rage on, and also ensuring we comply with road rules.

Another one is at the races there are experienced riders to sort out bad riding habits. I went with a bunch today and it was a great ride but there was one rider who kept passing on the inside. On the way home he tried doing it down a hill and there was a parked car the rider he was passing on the inside didn't realise he was there and said undertaker had to lock up the rear wheel to avoid parked car. Those sort of dangerous moves are stomped out in the races.
BarryTas wrote:"i will i will" i wish that the STVCC (vets) raced on a saturday. Because as it stands, if i race on a Sunday i cant realy do a looong ride on a saurday
Also you need to get racing as you will have more people to ride with at your level.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:59 pm

skull wrote:Free until there is a accident and due to not having a CA licence and assuming you haven't got personal insurance for riding there could be large financial loss. That is why a CA licence is worth it.
To me, the reason for purchase of full CA licence is to allow me to race, not for some life sustaining insurance.
eg. 1) Loss of income benefit - 75% regular wage to $500 max, or $250 max if in training. For non-income earners, it's $200 or $100 (in training).
2) If you have Medicare and private medical insurance, then one needs to claim from the earlier options before claiming from CA's insurance.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.