why dont you race?

Re: why dont you race?

Postby skull » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I have raced on and offf for the last couple of years at the vets. There is only prize money for specific events, I can only recall 3 races that had prize money in the last 12 months
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

by BNA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:54 pm

BNA
 

Re: why dont you race?

Postby LG » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Hmm, this thread has surprised me on 2 fronts, 1 - a very hidden desire to possibly take part in a race (providing the grades go low enough and old steel bikes with downtube shifters are allowed) and 2 - how many interstate forum members read the Tassie section :shock:

Next job, make time amongst family, work and everything else that comes up for a weekend off in Hobart.
LG = Low Gear
LG
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: why dont you race?

Postby BarryTas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:06 am

LG wrote:Hmm, this thread has surprised me on 2 fronts, 1 - a very hidden desire to possibly take part in a race (providing the grades go low enough and old steel bikes with downtube shifters are allowed) and 2 - how many interstate forum members read the Tassie section :shock:

Next job, make time amongst family, work and everything else that comes up for a weekend off in Hobart.



everyone reads the Tassie threads as all the pros come from here :)
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 pm

An interesting thread.

Perhaps we could discuss:-

Why DO you race?

Have you raced regularly in the past, but dont do so now? Why?

Ego. I think ego is a big sleeper here, and many of us are uncomfortable discussing it. Examining ones' ego is in the same basket as examining ones" ............err......!

Ego

Ego.

I will kick the EGO thing off by suggesting that our ego is at great risk when we take part in a formal race. A race can massage an ego to extreme heights of satisfaction, or leave it in the gutter. Cyclists today have safer options; the "social ride", "charity ride", "fun ride", "Coffee Shop ride', etc.
No ego has ever been defeated in these events, and every ride presents numerous opportunities for ego massaging victories. You can win by leading the group over any one of a number of crests, even though no one else knows that you are competing; who cares; your ego knows that you are first.
You might be 7th home to the coffee shop; that is a victory acceptable to your ego as 13 riders came for coffee behind you. In my case I apply an age adjustment scale, known only to me, and that gives me victory every time. I am never last, however in the event that I find every cyclist in the region to be ahead of me, I concoct this as a victory to my commonsense; dont those other idiots know about easing down to "freshen up" for next weeks rides. Idiots. Barry, Geoff, Peter, Casey, Rob,all idiots!

Show us your ego!
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby RobRollin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Oh I will be tomorrow :D
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:48 pm

RobRollin wrote:Oh I will be tomorrow :D

Interesting. A month has gone by and no one has taken to the question of ego. Too hard? Taboo? Are we all in denial?
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Definitely not in denial. For a person who calls himself "Nobody", I definitely have an ego. But describing why I have my ego would not only lack modesty, but may be demoralizing to a few who don't have my genetics for being OK at cycling. I would even argue that many (most?) people who are regularly on these forums probably have above average genetic for cycling which helps them enjoy the activity more. Most of this goes without saying usually.

I don't race because I no longer need to prove anything to myself that can't be done solo, among other reasons. I also have an aversion to getting injuries from crashes that I didn't cause. I get enough fractures by myself MTBing.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6920
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: why dont you race?

Postby RobRollin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:03 pm

Very disappointing turn out today for such a good course more riders should have turned up. Thanks to the Southern Pedals for hsoting the race. We had good conditions. Dry roads. Mass start. And everyone finished within 10mins of each other. A good race for all the riders today. With only one DNF.
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 pm

BarryTas wrote:"i will i will" i wish that the STVCC (vets) raced on a saturday. Because as it stands, if i race on a Sunday i cant realy do a looong ride on a saurday


I noticed you were a little restrained on the Dome ride today Barry. Saving it for tomorrows time trial?

Hope it goes well for you.
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby doggatas » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:49 am

I believe so, appears to have paid off. :D
doggatas
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby BarryTas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 am

and the week before :roll:
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: why dont you race?

Postby BarryTas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 am

why don't you race,

for me, "why don't i do the local cycling races", well i was wiating till i was happy with my level of fitness, till i had a better bike and will i was old enough. I still dont like the fact that the races are on a sunday. I will still do my fun runs and mulisports :D
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 am

BarryTas wrote:and the week before
the haters still hate :roll:


What is going on here Barry? Has Robrollin doubled the coffee measure? :D
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 am

BarryTas wrote:why don't you race,

for me, "why don't i do the local cycling races", well i was wiating till i was happy with my level of fitness, till i had a better bike and will i was old enough. I still dont like the fact that the races are on a sunday. I will still do my fun runs and mulisports :D

Are you planning to do any of the road races up north this road season ? Most of them are on Saturdays.
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:58 am

master6 wrote:Are you planning to do any of the road races up north this road season ? Most of them are on Saturdays.


I'd like to do some of the races up north this year, but adding 400+km of driving makes it an expensive proposition, both in time and fuel. Sundays are generally out for me.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 am

mcdurdin wrote:
master6 wrote:Are you planning to do any of the road races up north this road season ? Most of them are on Saturdays.


I'd like to do some of the races up north this year, but adding 400+km of driving makes it an expensive proposition, both in time and fuel. Sundays are generally out for me.

One of the faults in the life cycle mcdurdin is that, when you are young, healthy, enthusiastic, and ambitious, the needs of family, work, study, mortgages etc make it difficult to pursue the cycling dream. Eventually these obligations are met, however by this time the body is not quite as it was, and not improving.
What a stuff up! :D

For people who want to venture north without family, car pooling and a trailer could be a solution. I agree that fuel costs, food costs, entry fees, accommodation if you stay overnight, can amount to quite a sum.
Some innovative planning is needed to do it regularly without straining the budget.
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby skull » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:31 am

mcdurdin wrote:
master6 wrote:Are you planning to do any of the road races up north this road season ? Most of them are on Saturdays.


I'd like to do some of the races up north this year, but adding 400+km of driving makes it an expensive proposition, both in time and fuel. Sundays are generally out for me.


Car pool, I am keen to do a few up North. Me you Barry and Dogga bikes on the roof and the us in the car. (except dogga, he can go in the back)
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 am

skull wrote:Car pool, I am keen to do a few up North. Me you Barry and Dogga bikes on the roof and the us in the car. (except dogga, he can go in the back)


I reckon I could be up for that sometime. Need to plan in advance... Two races I'm interested in are Grindelwald and Longford-Campbell Town. Because those are the two I did last year ;-) Any other exciting ones you want to do?
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:49 am

master6 wrote:One of the faults in the life cycle mcdurdin is that, when you are young, healthy, enthusiastic, and ambitious, the needs of family, work, study, mortgages etc make it difficult to pursue the cycling dream. Eventually these obligations are met, however by this time the body is not quite as it was, and not improving.
What a stuff up! :D


Thanks for the encouragement ;-)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby doggatas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 am

Lets mark the Longford to Campbell Town race. We can go up together and work as a small team during the race, can discuss tactics on the drive up. :D

P.S happy to be in the back
doggatas
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby BarryTas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am

doggatas wrote:Lets mark the Longford to Campbell Town race. We can go up together and work as a small team during the race, can discuss tactics on the drive up. :D

P.S happy to be in the back



lock it in Eddie
when do we stop for coffee???

Image
BarryTas
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Hobart

Re: why dont you race?

Postby skull » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 am

Both those events I had earmarked so could be a plan.
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: why dont you race?

Postby RobRollin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 pm

I get another mentioned by Master6 and i wasnt even in the discussion! :shock: :? :lol:
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: why dont you race?

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 pm

RobRollin wrote:I get another mentioned by Master6 and i wasnt even in the discussion! :shock: :? :lol:


You are now :D

Do you have any plans for the northern road events RR?

Did you notice Doggas enthusiasm for the back seat? Do you reckon he knows they are travelling in a Nissan Micro? Suppose he could lie on the back seat, but two legs out the window might not impress the constabulary.
master6
 
Posts: 2698
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: why dont you race?

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:47 pm

master6 wrote:Did you notice Doggas enthusiasm for the back seat? Do you reckon he knows they are travelling in a Nissan Micro? Suppose he could lie on the back seat, but two legs out the window might not impress the constabulary.


I guess you could chop off his legs. Not like he needs them for riding...
Still young enough to win the Tour de France
mcdurdin
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers