Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

BenevolantDictatorD

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Another Wednesday. Rain in Hobart. Forecast for more rain in Hobart. :cry: :cry: So what do the true believers do? RBWR :mrgreen:

Denis the elder took off early on a loop around Fingerpost , Sorrel and Brinktop. Ten of the riders were milling around in the carpark watching large drops of water marking the tarmac in the carpark eagerly awaiting the the clock to tick over to exactly 9:00:00.000 for the off. Christian and Karina were hurriedly trying to get ready before the allotted time. They didn't have to do too much to catch up to us.

The course today was out to the highway on Fingerpost and then the ascent of Cole Hill and back to the bakery. The NWer was solid without being a nasty one. Just enough to make the turns reasonably short and keep the bunch together. Fingerpost and down wind we went. The pace was sensible with a few surges to the top to get the allotted bonus points that no-one seems to keep count of. Around the turn and back to a regroup at the top. So far so good. Oh yeah. Forgot about the head wind on the way back. I did note to Eddy, our newby for the day, that there was likely to be a lot said over coffee later because no-one was able to talk and keep in the slipstream at the same time. Christian did his bit and dragged us back to Richmond road with another regroup and the loss of one rider with a "knee".

And so it went for the next 17 or so kms into a gathering head wind. Christian bailed with a puncture and took Karina with him. Down to nine. And then - a paceline :shock:
It wasn't the best pace line ever devised but it was getting there until Daisy decided that riding on the road was getting a bit boring. Dropping a wheel into the gravel is likely to end up with the bike on its side - and so it happened. Rob tried his best to brake in time but managed to land on a soft spot - Daisy. And, of course, autumn leaf couldn't be left out and managed to fall off without being involved in the crash. So autumn leaves do fall in spring! - as well as every other season.

A bit of sorting of handlebars and two bunches headed for the turn. A regroup at the top and off we went - at speed. PMM Man had been conspicuously quiet to this point with a clear absence of his team being obvious. Never one to let that stop him he managed to pick out the only sharp rock on 40ks of road and ran over it to perfection. Pfffsssstttt. We waited while he and his support crew changed the puncture and off we went again. This was starting to get a bit of a worry as the tradition with the weather is that it breaks soon after the allotted finish time. We seemed to be trying to make up time and the group was humming along.

Through Campania t pace and then - Mr Irrepressible - PMM Man surged off the front. Impressive. We counted to the obligatory 10 assuming he would do his normal implosion and rejoin us quickly but he kept going. Impressive. We tried rally hard not to catch him but after 4ks off the front we reeled him in and the finishing surges started. Well done to those claiming victory across their sprint lines.

As expected the coffee chat was extended. master6 is back so the obligatory "mens' issues" were discussed along with much else. No Brian the younger today so no jokes were told.

We'll do it all again next week.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:38 pm

:roll: :roll:

I need to come up with some excuse for inability to master the performance of PMM Man. Perhaps I could wear lipstick and cite "womens issues" as my excuse. :) :)

Katabatic

Postby Katabatic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:24 am

Many thanks to the bunch yesterday for allowing a noob to join the esteemed RBWR team for a ride. I really enjoyed the route and the company (and the comedy) :lol: . Some very impressive average speeds were achieved and most of us survived unscathed to tell the tale. :D
Cheers, Eddy

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm

I would appreciate information about flower arranging groups; particularly any that meet at 9am on Wednesdays

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm

PS

no rush for above information........I will be asleep for the next two hours :cry:

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:10 pm

No flower arranging courses at Richmond on a Wednesday morning at 9:00:00.000 cos that's when the RBWR exits the carpark!

Fourteen turned up today. We looked around for the rain but none was coming. In its place was a bit of a breeze. Fancy that. It hasn't stopped blowing for three weeks now and my weather station said it was going to get stronger as the day went on. The course was a completely different one - the traditional RBWR course that we hadn't done for a while - over water tower, along Back Tea Tree and return.

With a few there for a warm down ride ready for the Round The Bay this weekend, and the rest of us content on an easy ride it was always going to be a hard day. The northerly kept everybody settled up Colebrook Road and by the time we got to water tower we had one ready to go home "cos Logan wore me out" on the ride over. Down to 13 and away we went again into a nasty side head wind that again kept the speed down a bit.

And then Back Tea Tree and a hoot of a tail breeze fractured the bunch as everyone "enjoyed" the speed. At the turn we lost another one. I didn't hear the excuse but i reckon it went something like "cos Clive wore me out" on the ride over. And then there was 12 heading back into the wind and slogging it out they did.

Tea Tree Road and a nice side tail breeze scooted us along and all seemed to be going well until the irrepressible one - PMM Man - put one of his dastardly schemes into play and his "team" took off. The rest of us continued at a reasonable pace as they disappeared into the distance. By the time we got to water tower the irrepressible one was at the tail of the field and soon after the turn back onto Richmond road the race/ride was now in two bunches with the first ones going hard and the sensible one being carted along by the ever-improving Tony.

Rossie wan the sprint - of course - and PMM Man claimed another victory in the second bunch as his finish line was where he was in the front - of course.

Another successful ride - a breezy coffee chat - and we do it all again next week.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12 pm

This is the interim report for the impatient who cant wait for the Official Detailed Certified Report.

A spot of moisture delayed the start from 9.00.00am to 9.08.00am. Anyone of Catholic beliefs can probably square this away at confessions; heathens can do what they like, and anyone offended are offered my apology. Let's face it; starting after 9.00.00 is just not on :cry:

The course was out to Colebrook and return in order to minimise cornering risks and new potholes in the damp conditions. Autumn Leaves was given special instructions to (hopefully) enable him to remain mounted in the damp. We give thanks for the fact that A. Leaves did indeed remain safe.

Who won? Everywon! :D

Sorry. You asked whether PMM Man was there today? Of course he was. Up to tricks? Of course he was! :?

PMM Man is the sponsor of this weeks Tour de Norfy; do a google on it, enter at the bargain rate before Friday night, and enjoy a great ride.

Now be patient; the real report is not far away.

Did I mention 22?

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Off topic? Nah!

As this is a forum based on wheels, I will run my request for assistance:-

When not cycling, I spend some time on my Holden panel van restoration project. I am looking to beg, borrow, or steal a metal shaping device called an "English Wheel"

Can you point me at one please?

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 pm

The delayed report - for those with more patience - ?

Whilst everyone knows the weather at Richmond is always perfect for cycling the weather scheduler was having a day off and a solid bit of rain welcomed the large number of keen RBWR riders assembled in the car park. Tradition was followed and everyone followed straight across to the bakery for a coffee and chat. A quick chat it was - to catch up on the events of 'Round The Bay - and back to the carpark to find the shower had eased to drizzle.

The coin was tossed - the decision to ride was made and about 16 of the assembled chose to ride. The drizzle soon stopped and it was reasonably nice after that.

There were some strong legs in the bunch this week with only two turns being done in the first 35kms - phew. Cyclone Sam and Strongman John took most of the credit on the way out with Christian and the Autumn Leaf helping them along. Back in the bunch there was Rossie recovering from the Bay, the motor bike man - Rod H, powerhouse Daisy, amongst others.

With the start a bit delayed we cut the ride short so it was out to the shop at Colebrook and back. With a steady pace on the front, those in the pack were tootling along quite nicely. It was all too boring for the irrepressible one - PMM Man - who 'shocked' everyone with a surge off the front half way up Cole Hill. He maintained the pace but no amount of encouragement from the pack could keep him in front for long.

The turn and the trip home. This is always a bit of a smash-fest. This being the first of the memorial OleManEc rides it was always going to be a breakaway ride on the way home. We all tried, and tried, and tried again - but that little head wind/breeze and some very strong legs in the pack brought it all back together each time. Ecca is still the King! And Rossie was in the bunch - so Rossie won the sprint.

We had another record created for the RBWR. Hiding in amongst the pack were six bunch leaders all assembled in the one spot. Clive represented the Taroona Bakery Monday Ride (leaves at 9:30), me for the RBWR, PaulB for the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride, Baz for the Friday morning Cornelian Bay Ride, Daisy for the Saturday Morning Dome Ride and the irresistible on PMM Man for the Lagoon Lizards Sunday ride out of Cremorne. No races on Tuesdays so we can have a rest!

The second coffee was just as good as the first and lasted a bit longer than the first. lets do it all again next week.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:41 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote: lets do it all again next week.
"next week" is just over 14 hours away. :D

Is 7pm too early for bed the night before RBWR? ( remember, I need to keep up with PMM man!)

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Mission accomplished: All safe home.

Sorry to have missed the most important part: the formal post ra....ride discussion. Airport duties.

1.11pm; :D time for bed. Need to recover for tomorrows Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride at 9am. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Denis Nation preparing for todays ride. One of the people we thank for the existence of the famous Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride. Some of todays riders were still on training wheels when Denis and his mates from the Vets Club started the Wednesday tradition.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:00 pm

The man responsible for , well, almost everything; attacks, hilarity, provocation, more attacks, and all kinds of laughter.

We usually laugh with him.

When he attacks, some laugh at him :oops: This kind of laughter has diminished recently as Nigels form has enabled him to inflict a bit of pain throughout the field. Yep, PMM Man does exist. The place would not be the same without him; in fact, about half the field would be shirtless if not for Nigels generousity. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:10 pm

8.29am this morning. RBWR heads out at 9.00.00am, so the faithful arrive early. About 20 more arrived in the next ten minutes.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 am

A sad day for RBWR. We left a couple of riders behind :cry: :cry: Another set of apologies to Clive and PaulB. My fault entirely.

So - we had a turnout of 20 riders with Denis the Elder heading off on his own to do the traditional Water Tower/Back Tea Tree Road Circuit. The rest of us started of on a course up Middle Tea Tree and then out towards Broadmarsh. We lost Clive and PaulB early in the piece with Paul dropping his bottle and me not counting riders properly. So the balance of the group banged away into the headwind for the next 25kms. The council is doing some fix-up work on Middle Tea Tree so the return journey was reset to be over water tower.

There were some tired legs out there with many having ridden the Tour De Norfy or the Cranky Penguin on the weekend. That certainly didn't slow down Cyclone Sam who demonstrated that you can run your business via a hands free phone and still ride at richmond on Wednesdays. For those of us struggling to hang on this was either an inspiration or a nose rub session as he was able to talk and we couldn't!!

We turned at some point along the Broadmarsh Road and for some strange reason it was suddenly a lot easier to keep up. That slight headwind became a very comforting tail breeze and the pack scooted along quite nicely. PMM Man was doing what he does best - organising the break aways and getting his team ready to surge. The train lines came and went and his team seemed to have forgotten the plan. They also seemed to be lacking in intent as well.

As seems to be the case lately on our "ride" the pace picked up a bit and then a bit more and then a lot. Everyone was scrambling for wheels and the pack disintegrated with the approach to water tower creating the gaps and the water tower climb finishing it off. And who won the official sprint - Rossie was in the pack :shock: guess who won.

The rest of us trundled in with Lantern Rouge living up to his monika when we drifted in as the last to finish.

Coffee chat was good as always. Next week ...........

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:13 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote: Next week ...........
Time flys when you are having fun.

"Next week" is here already :D

Forecast is sunshine, and more sunshine for Richmond tomorrow. RBWR just keeps getting better..........................and................better :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Richmond at its best today. What a glorious day for a ride up lots of hills - and so we did.

21 riders toed the starting line waiting for the clock to tick over to 9:00:00.000 it would have been 22 but Denis the Elder arrived late and went his own way. Off we went on the Baskerville Circuit. That's Grass Tree/East Derwent Highway/Baskerville Road/Briggs Road/Tea Tree Road and Richmond Road. With a fair number of hills on the course there were regular regroups until we hit the water tower climb on the way back. The liesurely, friendly and amicable ride then turned into a race - again!

With PMM Man in the pack there was the well anounced plan that his team would "attack at the train lines". Autumn leaf took it seriously and took off, got the gap, got ready to go, and then found that the forecast northerly had come in and was a bit stronger than anticipated. We slid back into the group. Time for another plan. PMM Man decided it was going to be his day and he shadowed the front riders getting himself in the perfect position to be in the fast group over the top. Finally - a plan was going to work. :wink: :lol: 8) Just as he was about to put the effort in, one of the opposition :mrgreen: (moi) :mrgreen: gently grabbed his jersey and slingshotted himself onto the disappearing bunch with PMM Man going backwards and cursing at the same time. Another memory in the chuckle-box.

There were many tables joined to get us all seated for the customary coffee and chat afterward. Lets hope that summer weather is as good as today's was. Next week .......

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:08 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote: Off we went on the Baskerville Circuit.
Oh! So that's where we went?

I thought we were on the Bastardville circuit. Is there something in the air out there that causes Optical Delusion? So many parts of the circuit have a "flat to undulating" appearance, but the legs have a " flat to stuffed" feeling . :(

It was a pleasure again to ride with a lady and gentlemen :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 am

It has been raining all night, and at 7.23am, RBWR does not have its usual attraction :(

A day in the shed I think. (I need another HK, HT, HG holden, any body style, if you know of one)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:54 am

Another beautiful day in Richmond today. Six ducks and two riders turned up for the weekly ride. It was too wet for the ducks so they went home. The rest of us had a coffee and a chat and contemplated what could have been. I'm away next week getting some secret training in. No doubt Master6 will set a challenging course for everyone.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Wednesday 20/11/13. Another superb day in Richmond. Dry roads, and good company.
Sixteen eager riders departed the 9am start, and one brought a note to explain her delayed arrival.
Christian caused pain. Autumn Leaves assisted Christian in his evil endeavours :cry: :cry:

PMM Man powered up WaterTower Hill to take "Rider of the Day" , and also took out "Tactician of the Day" for his relocation of the finishing line at the water tower.

Coffee back at Richmond Bakery was excellent as usual, and the ginormous chocolate coated wagon wheels were.........our languge cannot describe how good they are. Did you know that the wagon wheels, , and several other delicious items at Richmond Bakery, are actually made at the sister bakery, Dodges Ferry Bakery. :D
It comes as no surprise that RBWR attracts riders from Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride, and the Dome Ride, the most famous of all rides in good old Hobart Town.

What else can be said , other than :D :D :D :D :D :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:29 pm

A glorious day greeted the 22 smiling starters in Richmond this morning.

An innovative course was conjured up for the day's ride - being the same as last week - I suppose everyone should know where to go :| :|

Unfortunately we didn't get to far up Richmond road before being turned back due to what has probably been reported as a very bad car accident short of Fingerpost Road. Hopefully the injuries are not as serious as the number of emergency vehicles suggested. Back to Richmond where the sprint was contested and coffee was suggested. Deaf ears prevailed and off up Middle Tea Tree we went in search of the sprint bunch that decided to persist. The ride became a race until the turn and a regroup saw sanity return and a sensible pace kept it all together until the obligatory surges on Middle Tea Tree as the smell of coffee got too strong for many. The breakaway was caught and as many sat on as possible as Rocket Rod tested out his new heart rate monitor seeing how fast he could get it going and how fast we had to go to keep up. Rossie was in the bunch - no prizes for guessing the sprint winner!

Coffee chat was good as always although we will have to ask the shop to extend our seating pavilion as it just doesn't cope very well when our numbers get up. Next week - must be time for some hills :mrgreen: :twisted: 8)

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:31 pm

RBWR headed onto unsealed road this morning, which caused some whinging and whining from the city slickers in the group, apon announcement.
Oh no! :cry: :cry: My bike might get dirt on it :cry: :cry:

Have you ever wondered why dogs like to lick the "down tube" on the frame when you get home on a wet day? Soup :D Delicious soup :D :D
Yep, dogs love bikesoup. No, it does not come out of a can. No canned muck in bike soup. It is fresh on the day; the delicious mixture of last nights pulverised roadkill, and a touch of water to "souperise" it.

Delicious :D

Dust on our bikes.......no.....no.....no.... :cry: :cry:

:D :D :D Out of sunny Richmond toward Brinktop, left on the edge of town into Prosser Rd, over the smoothest road in Tasmania, the dirt part that is, onto Fingerpost, past the kart track, down to the outskirts of Sorell, into Shark Point Rd, Penna Rd, Brinktop Rd complete with patches, dirt patches, and adult potholes. As Daisy the dirt hater said, "it still had more bitumen than dirt holes". True. Just.....

We ground to the top of Brinktop, u turned, back to Tasman Highway, up and into Fingerpost, down past the kart track and chook farm, left into the final mad six km into Richmond Bakery.

The winner was anyone who felt like a winner on the day. That seemed to be everyone :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:35 pm

So you got lost in the bike soup paragraph? Just to let you compare it with "dust on my bike". :roll:

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 pm

master6 wrote:So you got lost in the bike soup paragraph? Just to let you compare it with "dust on my bike". :roll:
On reflection I have decided to review my medications. :oops: