Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

master6

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby master6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 am

Here I sit ,in minimalist lycra, cup of tea in hand, just home from the morning ride in beautiful sunshine. 8.26 am.

Mid 20'sC expected today.

Enjoy sunny Richmond today my friends :D

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:10 pm

oh, it looks like i have Wednesday the 28th off.

does the group still leave at 9:05 am?
when do we stop for coffee???

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:27 pm

BarryTas wrote:.

does the group still leave at 9:05 am?
&^%$^%&*&^(*!!!!!!

you must be thinking of some other ride Barry. or stirring :D

everyone knows that NASA consult BDD re any matter remotely related to the chronological, and even more people than "everyone" know that RBWR cheers latecomers arriving at 9.00.00.01am, as by that time the ride has covered 0.001km.

Good joke Barry :D :D :D

It will be nice to see you there. :)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm

The Weather Bureau was forecasting gale force winds and heavy rain coming through at around 10:30. Pfftt. They obviously don't know that the RBWR doesn't like rain. Current conditions - still still, still dry. :P

The assembled bunch of nine riders eagerly listened for the race/ride route and it was decided that a "close to home' route was the best and that means the Back Tea Tree / Middle Tea Tree twice loop. Despite some rumour mongering from our good friend Barry the bunch left at 9:00:00.000 (as usual) with conditions close to perfect for a nice ride.

By the time we got to Grass Tree Hill Road we had picked up latecomer John who had suffered a puncture on the way out and u-turned to join us. By the time we got to Back Tea Tree I was starting to realise that awful of awful feelings - a week off the bike - too much beer :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - and too many large cooked breakfasts adding up to me being slow man in the bunch. Even the resolute PMM Man was looking strong. Oh dear.

I tried to hide my lack of intent by loitering at the back of the peleton for the first lap. Everyone else was taking it easy and swapping turns nicely and keeping good form. Mention was made of an average of 29. :cry: The second lap is usually slower on this course as they prepare for the last 10k sprint. That didn't happen. The pace remained tight with the first regrouping being for PMM Man who struggled on the duck pond hill. Sitting at the back still devising devious strategies with PMM Man I noted that they rest of the bunch were clearly taking it easy - they must be worrying about each other. PMM Man noted we were doing 39ks into a slight headwind. Mmmm. Maybe they weren't!

The time was approaching fast so the best defense I could come up was to go to the front and slow them down. Not quite sure why but that worked! Onto Middle Tea Tree and the expected attacks didn't happen. The bunch was still together at the top of the first rise and I peeled off. Bad move. The pace picked up. The pace picked up again, and again, and again. There were still eight left at the end with Rossie easily claiming victory as expected. Nice ride guys - well done.

Coffee chat was a bit quiet - or perhaps I had ruptured an eardrum trying to keep up. next week - .......

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Another Wednesday morning - another glorious day - a bit chilly but the sun was out and the wind non-existent. Eleven riders greeted each other and the course today was another of those complex ones requiring extreme navigation skills. So off we went - at the allotted time - and headed up Colebrook road for 30k and turned around and came back.

The pace was gentle on the way out with plenty of time for chatting and only a small gap from first to last over Cole Hill. Everyone stuck together to the turn, and then to the bottom of Cole Hill and still together at the Golf Course. It surely couldn't last - and it didn't. The surges started - they all failed - but the pace was frantic at times and sensible at others. BMX Steve crossed his finish line first and sat up. So did most others except the everpresent opportunist PMM Man who saw a gap and accelerated to his finish line to claim victory. Everyone was overjoyed at his efforts - or I'm sure they would have been - :shock:

Coffee chat was good as always but a little shorter than usual - maybe the thought of another rendition of PMM Man's winning surge was just too much for everyone!!

Good luck to all as I take another break for a couple of weeks in Sydney. Stay safe everyone.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 pm

PMM man held the reins today, and elected to steer the RBWR faithful out along the north road, with a trek along Fingerpost Rd to the Tasman Highway, and return, to continue to the top of Cole Hill. Civilised behaviour was exhibited by all, with a puncture by Brian P on the way home going unnoticed by all, except of course, Brian. This is always a risk when riding at the back; why people ignore the constant advice of Phil Ligget to ride at the front astounds me; everyone should ride at the front at all times! It goes without saying, that nobody should be riding anywhere near the rear :roll:

PMM man had his leadout man primed to perfection, and they hit the front at the Fingerpost corner on the way home. Alas, it all came unstuck when leadoutman was run off the black part of the road with 5km to r....ra......rac....um , to go. Leadoutman almost came unstuck from his bike, but fortunately somehow held it all together and managed to get back to black at the rear of the field. The sprint to the line was won by Sam the 240 volt man, with Rod H giving him a fright.

Did I mention that Rod H arrived for the 9.00.00am start at 8.59.59am? No, I did not. Apparently he is the Australian Agent for the new ^%$#&^ Chinese made Quick Release Bike Rack, and this was his plug to the rest of us.

Sunny of course, as per usual in Richmond.

The roll call? Sixteen were counted at 8.59, and a couple came out of the woodwork as wheels rolled out.

:D :D :D another enjoyable RBWR.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Well I never made the RBRW.......But here is another person that was there’s view on what may or may not have happened….
On a Sunny Wednesday Richmond morning there was no Dictator too be seen or heard of, some say he was overseas visiting a football club to get advice on enhancing his performance…But I don’t believe that for a minute (maybe 30 seconds but definitely not a minute).
Luckily 2IC Master6 was back from his winter break, so he decided on the route, which must have seemed a little hard for a few of the riders present, because a coup ensued within the peloton which cumulated in the demotion of Master6 to 3IC.
So that would leave PMM Man, now 2IC to set the route…..
Having a stab in the dark I’m figuring the route would be up Fingerpost, and then back to the top of Cole Hill with a sprint back to Richmond, probably a no brainer from PMM Man……….
The ride up Fingerpost and up to the top of Cole Hill was quite uneventful, with possibly 15 riders enjoying the gentle tailwind at their disposal. But from what I’ve heard the ride down Cole hill was a little more exciting as Steve (who is apparently know now as bunny)thought he was riding his BMX and decided to scared the living day lights out of a poor defenceless Rabbit by bunny hoping over the top of it...........Lucky Bunny never hit it as it would have really hurt.......the rabbit…..Oh and probably Bunny too.....
As usual the ride back hotted up, I believe Brian B back from his overseas trip also went back to help Brian P with his puncture, as stated in a previous post, (that’s what we will say anyway, someone else may have said that the pace may have been a bit hot for him, and he was spat out the back. I’ll let you decide).
After the usual surges when the peloton arrived at Campania Daisy & PMM Man tried for a break away, succeeding……….. until Autumn Leaf, not quite being up with team tactics, decided to drag the peloton back on to the tail of the breakaway :roll:
After dodging the expected smack on the back of the head from PMM Man, Autumn Leaf tried to drag everyone off by picking the pace up at the front, as usual this failed with Sam running over the top of everyone for the win. No idea who came second but Pale Faced Logan managed to pull off a third, (I was asked to write that as it was said he never saw the sun at all sitting in the middle of the peloton all day).
Anyways apparently the post ride coffee & chat was good as usual……..
Turned out to be just another sunny Richmond Wednesday Bakery Ride……
Felt AR2

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Another superb Wednesday Richmond morning, bit of a northerly but hey it makes for a great ride back…The Dictator wasn’t there, he turned up later, we can only presume he missed the 9:00:00:00am start by mere milli seconds & had to wait until we got back. So PMM Man set the course out to Back Tea Tree Rd via water Tower & Back. Which Suited PMM Man well, since he left his shoes at home and had to go back and get them, his plan was to come back & meet us at the top of Water Tower for the Sprint Back, and also take my Garmin, spare tube & tool kit with him I can only guess….
So off set 20 riders (maybe more, but 20 is all my attention span would let me count), at a nice pace into the northerly. Everything was quite sedate until I realized that we got to Back Tea Tree Rd a little quicker than we usually would. (Obviously I wasn’t leading at any stage). We all turned into Back Tea Tree Rd as a nice organised bunch, until somebody on the front decided that things were a bit leisurely & decided to pick up the pace. The Dictators usual saying of “Ah the serenity” popped into my head but then it quickly turned into “aaaaaahhhh the pain”, so the usual pleasant trip along Back Tea Tree Rd turned into an unpleasant trip with riders being spat out the back in all directions. The only saving grace was the road works that slowed the front bunch down.
At the regroup point near Grass Tree Rd only 12 riders turned up, I wondered what happened to the rest??????. Did they get lost in the pot holes along the road; will they ever be heard from again????Anyway after a few seconds of contemplating their fate, the trip back was started, everything going fine until Rob W snapped a chain going up Duck Pond, luckily one of the other riders had the required tools to make the repairs, so we left them too it & headed back.
Nothing else happened until we met PMM main a couple of hundred metres passed the train tracks along Tea Tree Rd, Sam Greipel signalled him to turn around, being the ever caring group we didn’t seem to slow down much, it was nice to see PMM man smashing himself to get back on the bunch, made the whole day worthwhile really. Things rolled along nicely with the usual spitting of riders out the back occurring ever so regular, (One being me & PMM Man), as we approached Water Tower. Luckily the front four slow just a little going up over the top which was just enough to let me join the leading bunch, but up went the pace again I was just hanging on as I heard a horrible noise from Merida Mans front brake, he slowed we kept going. There was Sam, Christian, Mark & me left with me being a sponge sitting on the back. Pretty quick trip to the Colebrook Rd turn off. We all turned onto Colebrook Rd quite sedately & I thought “Tail wind, draft, Ah the serenity” for about 10 Seconds as Christian Sagan took off, with Sam Griepel, Mark Kittel & me still sitting on the back…. Sam Griepel then took the lead after the humps powering down Colebrook Rd, I though “I have no chance of winning a sprint against these guys I will drop down a couple of gears & try & hurt them a bit” but alas I had no more gears…….so at 1400metres I went anyway, pulling out from last with Christian quickly picking up my tail giving everything I had. I think the others must have been thinking we will sit on his tail & he can drag us all in, then out sprint him for the win. But I fooled them, I only lasted 300 metres before I was smashed, Christian & Sam pulled passed but where was Mark Kittel???? Did the awesome amount of power I produced spit him out the back???? So that left Christian Sagan in the lead with 1000ish metres to go, but he was passed by Sam Greipel 300 Metres out. It turned out to be an easy win for Sam, then Christian & then me. The big Sprint finish between the 3 guns, Sam Greipel , Mark Kittel & Christian Sagan never came to fruition.
What Happened to Mark Kittel I hear you say, apparently he had a flat rear tyre as I shot passed, but some others may say that the pace was too hot & he faked a puncture???? I’d like to think it was the second option but somehow I doubt it.
Anyway another nice RBWR, you should come along……
P.S. Someone has mention that the ride can be like trying to Herd a group of cats, I’d probably agree today
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm

A new ride, known as the Dodges Ferry Bakery Ride (DFBR) kicks off this Thursday at 10am. Dictatorial matters will be taken care of by Paul B.

Details here:-

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=50025&p=1017984#p1017984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm

"Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride" (DFBTR) :-)

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Paul B wrote:"Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride" (DFBTR) :-)
dfbtr
dfbtr
dfbtr

repeat 100 times

DFBTR....
I'm a slow learner dhh......

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:18 pm

There was a lovely dusting of snow on the mountain this morning. Storm clouds were gathering. The wind was picking up. Hmmm. Time to go to Richmond!

And there we were assembled in the car park outside the Richmond Bakery eagerly awaiting the clock to tick over to nine so we could take off before autumn leaves got himself ready. It was a bit cool, but it was dry and there was some potential for the sun to shine. Off we went - heading for Middle Tea Tree with plans to climb Cole Hill and return in a tight knit bunch.

Well. That was the plan.

First there was problems with a shoe. Then roadworks. Then my shoes. Then something was dropped. Then a puncture. Then another puncture. Then it got all too hard. The tight knit bunch gave up waiting after the first couple of problems as standing still was only going to encourage hypothermia. With the number of stops the "main" bunch was down to five by the turn point and everyone had the smell of coffee in their nostrils. There were many, many winners at the many sprint lines today :wink:

And the coffee was good as always. As is tradition it started to rain as we sat down to drink. And then the sun came out. Ah - the serenity.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

I'll tick the "Like" button. The best thing about punctures is watching other people fixing them, a bit like watching caravan reversing in a caravan park :D , or the antics on a boat ramp. OK, yes, I am twisted and evil :twisted:

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 pm

RBWR participants are advised that the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride will be starting at 9.00.00am as of next Thursday. This is a permanent change to allow a greater opportunity to get to work in the PM.
Starting location is at the bakery, which is located near the Butcher, Post Office, and Supermarket in the heart of thriving Dodges Ferry. :P

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:32 am

I look out the window
I look at the radar

all I get is ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :(

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Notwithstanding the negative thoughts from Master6 and seemingly confident prediction of 90% chance of lots of water falling from the sky the RBWR went ahead in its most important farm.

The true believers turned up to eagerly await the course for the day and it was well received. From the off we headed, at pace, and in a tight knit group, across the road and into the bakery. It wasn't particularly crowded around the table for four and another starter would have filled it up but the conversation was good and the jokes were up to the usual standard.

After a quick ride and a quick coffee the only thing to do was the race back from the cafe to the car park. As usual everyone was a winner in their own eyes.

Next week :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And - looking ahead - to the annual RBWR run to Orford and back in the week between Christmas and New Year - hmmm - there isn't one! :shock: Christmas Day is a Wednesday and the next Wednesday is New Year's Day. So New Years Day it is.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 pm

That course would have suited me perfectly...

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:13 pm

There I was early on a Wednesday morning watching the report of the tall ships about to leave port heading to Sydney. The reporter said that the weather was "interesting". I suppose that explained the white caps on the river and the sheets of rain pelting down one minute and sunshine the next. I thought to myself - hmm - surely not two weeks in a row with bad weather.

So I had my breakfast and readied myself for the off. Today I was going to ride over to the RBWR and with the allotted leave time I did the obligatory check of the mountain to see the blackest of black clouds coming my way. Hmmm - again. Only one thing to do - drive - and assume the coffee would be good.

It bucketted down on the way and i was happily driving the car. By the time i arrived in Richmond the sunshine was back and all was good in the world. Riders were getting bikes out of cars. Reports of others who had started riding over giving up and turning back for home brought a smile to all faces.

It was getting close to the allotted off time and that black cloud made another appearance. Hmmm - for a third time. Everyone knew what was coming and wet weather gear was the choice of most. The only sensible one there was Brian the Elder who made it quite clear he was heading over the road to the Bakery.

9:00:00.000 came and we went - off towards Grass Tree into a slight breeze of about 25, 30 or 35 kph. By the time we turned onto Back Tea Tree the sun was out and everyone was looking to shed clothing quickly. The ride along Back Tea Tree is always sheltered for the first half as we hide in behind the road side trees. A vote of thanks to those wonderful people who chopped them down!! Looks like they are going to continue the roadworks and extend the new bits of wider road.

Around about now the emergence of Mr Irrepressible - PMM Man - became obvious as he surged off the front into the howling head wind. We chuckled. We struggled to the end of Back Tea Tree and turned down wind. Yessss.

PMM Man had set another plan in place to surge his team off the front at the train line but they took off on the hill before and left him behind. We chuckled. He caught up and at his next opportunity went solo again heading towards water tower. He looked around at the increasing gap and took off. We chuckled. We all waited for him at the top of Water Tower. And down we went with a reported top speed of 72kph with a bit of wind assistance.

The turn onto Richmond Road heading to Fingerpost and everyone - except one - slowed to regroup. Who was that man out the front? Could it be - surely not - yes it was - PMM Man on another solo off the front. We chuckled. This time he was on a roll - 600m off the front and going 'hard' for the KOM points at the top of the hill. Rossy was the allotted man to chase - and as many times as he turned to check - PMM Man seemed to be losing distance each time. Rossy won. We chuckled.

Another regroup on the highway and off we went. By this time the black cloud had made yet another comeback and wet weather gear came back on in anticipation. A bit of a sprinkle was as good as the pesky cloud could manage. The cross-side wind created splits in the peleton everywhere and survival was the name of the game. Sidewash from the oncoming truck was a bit "interesting" at times. Ah well - we would all regroup for the ride to Brinktop - unless - PMM Man was up the front of course. We chased again. That gentle breeze was back again and small groups stuck together like glue to get some shelter.

A regroup at the top of Brinktop saw PMM Man finally get to the top - with Rossy pushing PMM Man and me helping Rossy. The waiting group chuckled.

And straight though he went - surging down the hill - tucking in behind on the flat and all the while planning his sprint. Irrepressible.

There were 13 winners out there today - even Brian the Elder got on his bike for a while and joined everyone for coffee. Brian the younger told a few jokes and we all chuckled.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Those who missed Brians jokes have been assured by PMM Man that they will be repeated next week............by Brian :D

master6

Those who missed Brians jokes have been assured by PMM Man that they will be repeated next week............by Brian :D

master6

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Need a second opinion?

You could do worse than join the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride at 9am tomorrow. :)

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:49 pm

October 2 , 2013, it is Wednesday again :D :D

At 8.59am the weather looked slightly better than the BOM forecast, however it is recognised that the BOM have a pretty good record here in the sub antarctic, and they would probably make money on Gai Waterhouse' horses if they turned their wallet to it.

The revered Dictator chose safety first, and chose a 2 lap course of Back Tea Tree/ Middle Tea Tree, giving the option to squib it after one lap if the going got rough.

Down Middle tea Tree on lap one, the going got rough, and tough, thanks to the efforts of RH Man. Rod was out to show that he is right hand man to no one, and caused a deal of pain, spurred on by the engineer.

Like the merry go round, round we went, and around again. Second entry to Middle Tea Tree Rd was all PMM Man needed to put in his usual burst. Laughter soon subsided as it became apparent that PMM Man was indeed on top of his game, and a lifting of the bunch effort did little to change the gap. Even the engineer seemed unable to find a plan , and sounded genuinely impressed by the performance out in front.

A few kilometres were required haul in the recalcitrant PMM Man, and then Right Hand Man went to the front, no doubt working on the theory that a turn in front 5 km out would earn him a nice rest back in the bunch in order to stoke the fire for a final sprint. RH Man did not make allowance in his planning for the possiblity that his fellow pensioner might not come through for a turn; how low can it go?

At the 500metre mark the engineer uncovered his plan and stormed home to a resounding victo........I'm glad it is not a race :D

Coffee was good, very good, but short, due to the weather throwing up a storm that moved Richmond half a metre closer to Sorell.

A very enjoyable morning.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Tough mob at the RBWR. Even the Tour of Tasmania was cancelled due to the wild weather... but the RBWR could not be thwarted by a mere meteorological disturbance :-)

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Nine riders at RBWR today Paul. I am extending an open invitation to the other 89 riders who have previously graced the RBWR starting grid to join the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday ride at 9am tomorrow. It goes without saying that the nine riders from today will be most welcome :D