Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

BenevolantDictatorD

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Another Richmond beautiful day greeted the 11 keen riders ready to tackle any course anywhere. Hardly a breath of wind. Sun shining through. Temperatures in the single digits. Ah the serenity. The roads were wet so the plan was to head to Colebrook and turn right up the Tunnack Road and back for coffee. Expectations of drying roads were dashed as they remained soaked for the next two hours irrespective of the bright sunshine.

No bolters this week so a pleasant trip was had by all out to the turn. Our 24 hour marathon man Darryl picked up the pace from the start on the way back and the pace gradually increased. A sighting of Sean a click up the road having snuck up the road put more pressure on the speed. And then the surges started - and continued. Even PMM Man went quiet for a while as Plans A to T were each discarded. Even with all the effort of trying to break the bunch they held on resolutely - bar one - heard to have said - "I blew my nose and looked up and everyone had gone!"

Coffee chat was cut short as the weather set in again and those riding home got a bit wet. Next week.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Perhaps you could add another to the field of 11.
One did 82km in absentia.
The course:- Jindalee to Brisbane City, Goodwill Bridge, Kangaroo Point Cliffs, Storey Bridge, Breakfast Creek, Nundah Criterium Cct, and Nudgee Beach for coffee. Return trip to the city via Toombul, home along the Coronation drive bikeway, and Western Freeway bikeway. Two in the group; the other being my friend John, who is preparing to ride from his brothers home in Newcastle on Tyne, to his sisters home in Bath, UK.
7am start today, in slightly chilly weather, improving to luxurious by mid morning.

Rumour has it that regular RBWR member Tony might be logging a few miles on the Sunshine Coast.

Behave! You are being watched around Australia :D

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:Another Richmond beautiful day greeted the 11 keen riders ready to tackle any course anywhere. Hardly a breath of wind. Sun shining through. Temperatures in the single digits. Ah the serenity. The roads were wet so the plan was to head to Colebrook and turn right up the Tunnack Road and back for coffee. Expectations of drying roads were dashed as they remained soaked for the next two hours irrespective of the bright sunshine.

No bolters this week so a pleasant trip was had by all out to the turn. Our 24 hour marathon man Darryl picked up the pace from the start on the way back and the pace gradually increased. A sighting of Sean a click up the road having snuck up the road put more pressure on the speed. And then the surges started - and continued. Even PMM Man went quiet for a while as Plans A to T were each discarded. Even with all the effort of trying to break the bunch they held on resolutely - bar one - heard to have said - "I blew my nose and looked up and everyone had gone!"

Coffee chat was cut short as the weather set in again and those riding home got a bit wet. Next week.
You failed to mention who won the sprint............ Or are you just being humble..........not what you expect from a dictator....
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:14 am

Warning! Watch PMM Man today. :D

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:37 pm

No Dictator today :shock:
So we went down the list until we found the next person in line. Which happened to be the 3IC......PMM man :roll:
Using the Dictators management style, he paid no attention to anyone else's ideas & picked the route, today up fingerpost then out to the top of cole hill........not surprising there were no major climbs in the route he picked :roll:
Apparently he had a plan, that I happen to be privy too. Take it easy on the way out & then hit on the lumps. Good plan I thought, that will sort them out a bit :twisted:
The plan was going well for the first 5km on the way back :D .........until Rod jumped onto the front... :cry: being PMM man he still suggested I hit rod on the down hill before the golf club...."you feel free to hit him yourself" is what i thought (sort of anyway,you can guess what i was actually thinking,actually thinking was all i could muster, as i had a choice of either breath or talk. Funny how self preservation kicks in),also the only thing I would have had left to hit him with was was my Biddon :twisted: But then i probably wouldn't have had the strength to throw it at him :roll:
So Rod did most of the work on the way back, with a bit of help from Rosco & the others..after his big effort a couple of us thought it would be rude to jump him in the sprint, so we took up most of the road with Rods wheel in front...but apparently Rosco had different ideas & came from nowhere & won the sprint :roll:.
So Rod smashed himself, Rosco won & the rest of us were pretty glad the trip back was over.
Talk over coffee was the usual...but it was mention that PMM man picked a good course for the day. Then just like a political party member with aspirations to be leader a coup was mentioned :wink: , obviously pays for some not to miss a day. :roll:
See you at the RBWR next week....
Oh forgot.. I think 10 headed out on a slightly damp awesome Richmond day
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Remember, you read about it on the RBWR thread!

The new PMM Team Bike :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Another Wednesday morning in sunny Richmond. Eleven riders gathered around eagerly awaiting the chance to have some input into today's route.

Ppfftt.

No wind. Dry roads. No fog. July. Never let a chance go by so off on the Baskerville circuit we went. PMM Man must have known in advance so he brought the heaviest bike ever made to make it that little bit harder :shock: :shock: It was a little chilly heading out of town but by half way up Grass Tree it seems to be pretty warm. Why I started doing intervals I have no idea. My legs were talking to me using unkind words. Stuey and Darryl were trying out their new electric motors - can't think of any other reason for them being so so so far in front of everyone else. Down the other side and along the river until the turn onto Baskerville Road. Baz was obviously feeling bad and started planning a bail out option. Four drops of rain brought some bad thoughts but that was all we saw. Heading home and no tail wind - a new experience for Tea Tree Road. Another regroup on Water Tower and the irrepressible PMM Man was again making plots, schemes and plans. No Baz to lead him out so Stuey was his chosen lead out man. Down the hill they went with everyone enjoying the tow. The first plan was a bit obvious as he cut the Richmond Road corner and sped off on his own. A few smiles later and the bunch was back together. Some strong turns from John and Stuey saw the numbers quickly decrease and coming into the last corner there was three left - including PMM Man still urging Stuey to get him closer to anything that might be a finish line. A shake of the head from Stuey at about 250 to go and PMM Man took his cue and exploded off the front. A quick look back and there was a gap - his eyes widened - a smile drifted across his face - he was going to win his first sprint - ever. He went harder and clearly was preparing his victory speech and forgot to look around again. As I went past I was going to offer to do a turn for him but the expletives suggested he didn't want me there. Oh well - maybe next week for his maiden win. :) :D :) :D

Coffee chat was great as usual with the exploits of Gerro and the team discussed at many levels and at different angles.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Master6, any serious interest of selling that frame?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:18 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Master6, any serious interest of selling that frame?
Hoping it will breed :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Wednesday morning - 9:00:00.000 - Richmond Bakery car park - where else would you be on a glorious morning with bright sunshine and white grass saluting the seven starters ready for the off. Following a few black ice episodes on the weekend leaving three regulars with a range of injuries from scrapes and bruises (Baz-sand and Stuey) to a collection of 3 broken ribs (Scott) a course on sunshine flooded roads was devised. Off we went in a massive peleton of seven which quickly rose to 8 as we picked up a latecomer. If it was two degrees when we left then a speed of 20+ kph must have added enough wind chill to go minus! :( Up Cambridge Road and onto Malcolms Hut - next onto Back Tea Tree and we were starting to warm up. And then Duck Pond Hill - hmm - no sun on the road there, few cars to warm the road, and a coating of whiteness greeted us. Most made it up the hill but the cautious among us walked up. Its always interesting to feel the ice crack under the front wheel and hear the back wheel fizz as it loses traction - interesting is one word!!

Anyway - we got through that so along to the end, right onto Tea Tree Road and the pace picked up. A regrouping at Water Tower and down the hill we went. The peleton reduced to 7 as our late starter headed home and then to 6 as the JRod succumbed to a lack of training and took the short cut back. Up Fingerpost we went with the irrepressible one - PMM Man - back in his usual swing of devising plans to get somewhere first. With a solid hand in his back he was starting to think he had it this time. Ah well maybe next week. Another regroup and off along the highway to Brinktop turnoff and up and over and back for coffee. It was never warm out on the course but it was nice sitting in the Bakery courtyard having a chat.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:42 am

Just over 24 hours to go, and it all "happens" again.

PMM Man, Australia waits to hear of your exploits this week :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 am

Well just for once the skies over Richmond were a bit ominous with that "rain" feel about them. With that in mind the eager ten assembled riders were informed of the route for the day - the eight trees ride - up Grass Tree, along back Tea Tree, onto Tea Tree, along Middle Tea Tree and around again. This is usually a reasonably quick course with no long climbs and plenty of flats. The appearance of Captain Strava at the start line ensured that we would have a strong man to work on the front.

And off we went. By the time we had finished the first lap the average was up around 30kph - and everyone was looking a bit worried. The turn onto Back Tea Tree saw the numbers reduce by one as Mike headed home. Soon after a stop for a broken spoke gave everyone a chance to breathe again and the numbers dropped by one more as the old "work commitments" excuse got another run.

With the spoke secured away we went again. Hmm. Something was going on as Captain Strava moved to the back of the pack started conversations with PMM Man who had been basking in his glory of getting to the top of one of the rises first! On we went at a reduced pace - waiting for the inevitable - but PMM Man's plan went awry as his lead out man had to take a phone call at the point they were supposed to break away so he could get over the Middle Tea Tree hill with the pack. The pace picked up on the rise. It picked up again, Captain Strava flew past and was duly "allowed" to go. And then John put the digs in and the pace was getting just a bit silly. Over the top and the gap to the first group of three was 100 metres and then another 100 back to the second chasing group.

Captain Strava was pulled back in on the downhill and the combined group made it to the finish. There wasn't much left in the tank at the end and the "sprint" was one of the slowest for a long time. Even with the reduced pace for most of the second lap the average was still up around the 30 mark. Coffee chat went on for a while as the clouds had generally disbursed and the day had turned out to be a true Richmond reflection. Next week....... No PMM Man!!

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Reports on the Tour de France, reports on the Royal birth, now we eagerly await tomorrows report on the RBWR. :D
With PMM man reported as a scratching tomorrow, it remains to be seen who takes on the coaching role.
They have big shoes to fill :wink:

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Another Richmond beautiful day greeted the assembled riders who left the car park at 9 waving to the assembled late comers who had to chase to catch up. Such is the first "Rule" of the bunch.

No PMM Man today so the the route was chosen as - obviously - PMM Man's favourite - straight up the hill to Colebrook. The peleton of 11 was all together at the regroup point at the top of Coal Hill and off we went again to Colebrook. Here we turned right and headed up Rhyndaston Road with the intial plan to get to the top of the hill to turn around. The first and second early turners left us here and headed back. And then another and then another and then another. The nice road turned into dirt soon after the train lines so an early turn ensued. The group was down to six by this stage with Casey struggling big time. Towards the bottom of the hill he called it quits and sent everyone left off to chase the others.

The second "Rule" of the bunch was invoked and I stayed with Casey to see him home. He made all the right noises like "I feel like I have two flat tires" etc and he was going hard going nowhere. After a while it seemed that there must be some reason why I could coast beside him while he was working hard. :shock: "pull over and stop" I said. "Lets check the brakes" I said. :wink: You know those days you have when you go hard and go nowhere and blame the brakes rubbing on the back wheel - well - the back brake was jammed against the rim! :roll: :lol: :shock:

Freed from the shackles of the brake rub he flew home. It certainly made good conversation at the coffee table. Nothing was said about the sprint by the time I got there and given there were about six 'bunches' from the 11 starters there were lots of winners out there today.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:14 am

What percentage of the guys run a compact crank for the RBWR ?

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm

:roll:
Paul B wrote:What percentage of the guys run a compact crank for the RBWR ?
The only matter about which we can give a precise answer Paul, is the starting time. In fact, NASA refer to RBWR for information of a Chronological nature.

The term "compact crank" is a misnomer. A more fitting and informative term would be "compact chainring stud PCD".

When its all boiled down, the "compact crank" misnomer is a load of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, unless you want to use your bicycle to tow a semi trailer up Mt Wellington.

A far more worthy subject for consideration might be pedal stack height, and perhaps the adaption of Shimanos 80's era AX Aero pedal to accept clip in cleats. Now there is a gain if you can do this, particularly for taller riders.

People who waffle on without attempting to answer your question annoy me. Are you impressed with the real live example of such activity, as I have demonstrated here :?: :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:05 pm

thanks master6. I am not tall (170cm) so no advantage to me. And yes I follow you re the compact crank "misnomer". I have been working on increasing my cadence which is now at 99 at an avg speed of just over 29kph.

Mind you, this is over the 8 kilometer daily sprint that I have been doing. It is my own personal time trial in which I try to set a new record each time I go out... today's new record was 16:25 mins. Cadence has been 99rpm 3 days running.

So essentially I have just made up a training routine that I enjoy doing. I did a double loop one time without any trouble so I will start increasing the distance soon. As you know, I am working my way toward 50ks and my goal is to be fit and doing that distance by the time summer comes around.

I started a Strava group btw... Dodges Ferry Beach... I am the founding and only member :-)

The reason I am interested in the compact crank (which I only just got to know a bit about) is because it seems like a whole lot better idea for getting up hills... pedaling at a higher cadence. A long way of getting to the point.... consistent with your waffle philosophy though.
Last edited by Paul B on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Big Boy Gears only.... :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:55 pm

That would be compact then.... :-)

Lambsy

Postby Lambsy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 am

hi Paul B,

just posted on your "wanting to ride 50K" thread under Training.

I live near you, also new to cycling, so let me know if you want some training company - and I also run compact gearing 8)

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Hello Lambsy and Paul B. Sounds like we have at least 3 of us in the Dodges Carlton Area. Now, that is enough to enter the RBWR as a team, and put some pressure on the PMM man. A bit of training will be required; to get to the required standard you will be needing to perfect "speaking c r a p ". :D :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:30 pm

hey Master 6. Well a bit of a random happening today... Saw a guy riding last week and called him over (I was walking) and arranged to meet up today for a ride. As it turned out, he was a little slow but that was OK as it was a change from my going flat out and I thought it may have some benefit. Anyway, we ended up on the back road to Primrose, which to my great surprise is now SEALED !!! This has to be the best ride in the area !!! ANyhow, he had a mechanical failure so I left him to walk back and I ended up cycling to the Lewisham shops then back to Dodges. So my almost daily ride of 8ks at full pace, became a 33k ride at a leisurely effort (1hr 28 min). So as it turned out, I rode much further than I had planned and I realised how doable my goal of 50k is.
Lambsy... sure, anytime. You up for a spin tomorrow ?

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:33 pm

Standard opening - another Richmond beautiful day greeted the assembled riders eager for the route for the day. No PMM Man once again so that means another flat ride so that we can say we have done them all by the time he gets back. It was a bit cool to start with - no blowing of steam - so it must have been at least four degrees. By the way Master6 - time to come home cos its too hot up thar in QL Land. Anyway, off we went heading over water tower and out towards Broadmarsh.

The pace was a bit solid on the way out and the sensible ones were sitting safely in the peleton. A turn onto Broadmarsh Road brought some sanity back into the pace and two-up talking resumed. The turn point at the top of Cow Sh*t Hill got us across the dairy crossover twice and it took a while for the nasal passages to clear!

The sensible pace remained with a few comfort stops and lots of chatting going on. There appeared to be something brewing. Mike saw it coming and took the short cut home. The trip home gradually picked up in pace with a fracturing of the bunch and the other Mike took a short cut as well. A regrouping at water tower and the sniff of coffee was getting stronger. And the winner was - any of the ten who started. Stuey held everyone off to claim the sprint.

Coffee chat was generally good with much discussion around cycling injuries and who had the best story of someone running into a parked car. Next week ......

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm

No Dictator for the RBWR today, apparently he had somewhere better to be :? :shock: . Where could be better than Richmond on a sunny winter Wednesday morning :?:
No 2IC either :? , so the choice of the route came down to 3IC.................PMM Man(dun dun dun da) :roll: .
So as could be expected the route was to be Finger Post Rd (regroup at the top at the go-cart track), & then out to the top of Colebrook Hill, with another regroup at the top, then its everyone for themselves on the way back, which I think were his exact words.
As the race...ooops sorry ride began the 16 of us sundered up Fingerpost at a reasonable pace (about as fast as I could go actually :( & I was being a spongebob, which seems to be my nickname now, thanks Ross, who from this day forward shall be also known as "Softy").... anyway things were going along nicely until, Rob fresh back from the tour de France decided on an early break away, the rest of us didn't seem to mind as we were aware of the regroup at the top, except Christian (the birthday boy, or old man back as he is currently known as) decided to chase him down, to great effect I must add, pipped him at the top, I thought maybe they weren't listening to the route & the regroup point :?: why waste energy that will be needed for the trip back :?: or maybe it was just posturing :?: but then the rest of us didn't seem to care. :) & we were secretly hoping Old Man Back would use all his energy reserves up. (not likely though).
The trip up to Colebrook Hill was uneventful, but PMM man being the 2IC dropped off the back to help any stragglers along, or was PMM man the straggler :roll: or was he playing the conserve energy & use up all of my energy trying to drag him back game :?: ,possibly the latter I think.
Anyway to the trip back.....the pace was pretty hot, as what was to be expected, until we got to the steeper hill before Colebrook Golf Club, that's when someone that's supposed to have an Old Man Back hit, surprising everyone that was cruising along at the back (mainly me), after a mass panic & nearly popping a pooper valve to try to stay on I realised that 3 had broken away, Old Man Back, Softy & John. That left a bunch of 10 for the chase, luckily we had Daisy (hope I spelt his nickname correct) form the Dome bunch up front powering away in chase, but being the ever helpful group that we can be we let him smash himself over the next few lumps while the rest of us recovered, Once we recovered sufficiently we set of in chase of the front 3, swapping the lead & working like a well oil machine,(well sort of anyway)expending a hugh amount of energy that we never had in the chase. But alas to no avail, we weren't destined to catch them :( . I believe Softy won the sprint for the line of the 3 in front.
Oddly enough of the 5 of the chasing group that was left there was a little bit of testosterone kicking about, unbeknown to me. As the sprint line was coming up I heard Logan shout "car back", causing everyone to fall into line so it could go past. Oddly I didn't see a car :? all I saw was Logan sprinting off, sneaky, then PMM man & John realised & took off after him, David & I though "why are they sprinting for 4th" so we cruised in behind & watch the action unfold. Well PMM man, using all his leftover energy managed to drag him self passed Logan, thinking he had the sprint won he eased off, which allowed John (not the John in the front group) to slip by for an easy 4th place. That's the second time PMM man has eased off when he's though he had won, & the second time he has lost :lol: :lol: .
For a final recap.......the weather was sunny.....Softy won the sprint....Old Man Back is a year older....the coffee & chat was good.....and everone was a winner at some stage along the route...what more could we ask for :?:
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:53 pm

What more could we ask for?

Baz, the report was a day late, but it was well worth waiting for. Keep up the good work :D
I eagerly await the weekly news here in Brisbane, and ,no doubt, Tony up in Caloundra will be digesting it all in preparation for his soon to be return from Australia.

Richmond....capital of the world :!: