Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

master6

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby master6 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:29 pm

We have a Dictator in charge in order to eliminate the need for discussion. :D
Last edited by master6 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Sorry its a TT not a scratch race however the license for both is the same, Regional Masters through CA

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:09 pm

On behalf of todays absent, I plead "tell us all about it" :D

Did the threat materialise :?: :roll: :roll:

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 pm

I was late. Arrivee 9:17am.
I rode solo Colebrook return. Into a headwind. Came back into a head cross. Had a coffee said hello. Departed
Avg 29.2
219w Normalised
1115kj

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:38 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:I was late. Arrivee 9:17am.
I rode solo Colebrook return. Into a headwind. Came back into a head cross. Had a coffee said hello. Departed
Avg 29.2
219w Normalised
1115kj
17 minutes! 17 Minutes? At that rate Rob, it would be more accurate to say that you are "fairly early" for next weeks ride :D

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 pm

I'd better Report today's ride since I'm the 3ICS dedicated ride reporter.
8:57am Christian arrived for the ride. At 8:58am we started the 9am ride hoping to get an early break on him....but as you expect he caught up , which we paid for later.
So on the ride we rode out 30km making 2 Left turns on the way out....then we rode back making 2 Right Hand turns. Bit boring I hear you say........but Daisy was with us & we didn't want to confuse him too much. But to his credit he made all the turns successfully....next week we may mix it up a bit with random turns in either directions......not sure though it may be a bit risky....
Who won the sprint I hear you say. Well the first 8 riders were disqualified from the race.....er ride...by the 3IC....just because he can......
So that left Brian Palmer who went for an impressive solo breakaway 1.5km from the finish to pull off a stunning victory.
That's all I have to report that's worth reporting....not much else happened...
Next week....
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:46 pm

bazsand wrote: 8 riders were disqualified from the race.....er ride...by the 3IC....just because he can......
...not much else happened...
Next week....
I hear that another 9 riders did the course in reverse Baz, making a total of 24, or 25 if the wayward one is counted.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Bit late for the RBWR report, done by the 3IC's dedicated rider reporter, who was going to be sacked for being late, until the 3IC realised that he doesn't know how to turn on his computer, & to make thing worse from the stress of the possible sacking I've forgotten what he told me I had to write.........so here goes.....

Maybe 20 riders (I'm not exactly sure, I don't know if I counted how many there were & forgot or I forgot to count???), rode off up Richmond road at a brisk pace, as you may have guessed Christian was on the front, but just to make it worse he was on the tandem with Karen, fresh back from a iron man event. Apparently Christian was so annoyed by last weeks disqualification, he was going to make us all pay.........and he did.....
Out along Richmond rd. we all went then turned right into Finger Post Rd, and to his credit Daisy mastered the right hand turn with all the confidence of a kid on training wheels.....Finger Post was rode with some exuberance in both directions, on the way up, us hoping that the hills will hurt Christian & on the way back with us being hurt by Christian. :roll:
There was a regroup at Richmond Rd, before setting off to the top of Cole Hill. Scotty B won the KOM, as he usually does. After the regroup the pace picked up a bit on the way back, not by a small bit but a big bit..... :cry:
Everybody was pretty quiet on the way back, most I'm sure were thinking "bloody tandem" or words to that effect.....It was mentioned to me that I wasn't spending much time on the front at this stage. :roll: ......but I'm no fool (or I'd like to think I'm not, but some seem to disagree with me),as I knew that the "Bloody tandem" would spear past when we were at our most vulnerable......I think he gets enjoyment out of our pain...... :twisted:
Anyways as expected the pace picked up on the downhill after Colebrook, no need to say who by :roll: :roll: ...not much sharing of the lead happened from there...thought we'd leave him on the front...that will teach him to hurt us :twisted: did no one have the required energy left to lead..... Into the sprint we went with the tandem finally faltering, leaving Daisy on the front, surprisingly there were still 12 left for the sprint.....PMM Man had a plan :o :shock: :twisted: ......but apparently I stuffed that by getting bored & going too early.....So as I stamped onto the pedals with all I had increasing my impressive power output from 50watts to 60watts, I shot from the back past everybody with half the field picking up my tail as I flashed by, but as expected 10 metres later I bonked, leaving Bunny Hopper to take out the win......
Not sure who came after that.........
Coffee chat was as usual.....Pub after coffee was good too.....
Next week........

PS.
Ah the serenity........
Felt AR2

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Bit late for the RBWR report, done by the 3IC's dedicated rider reporter, who was going to be sacked for being late, until the 3IC realised that he doesn't know how to turn on his computer, & to make thing worse from the stress of the possible sacking I've forgotten what he told me I had to write.........so here goes.....

Maybe 20 riders (I'm not exactly sure, I don't know if I counted how many there were & forgot or I forgot to count???), rode off up Richmond road at a brisk pace, as you may have guessed Christian was on the front, but just to make it worse he was on the tandem with Karen, fresh back from a iron man event. Apparently Christian was so annoyed by last weeks disqualification, he was going to make us all pay.........and he did.....
Out along Richmond rd. we all went then turned right into Finger Post Rd, and to his credit Daisy mastered the right hand turn with all the confidence of a kid on training wheels.....Finger Post was rode with some exuberance in both directions, on the way up, us hoping that the hills will hurt Christian & on the way back with us being hurt by Christian. :roll:
There was a regroup at Richmond Rd, before setting off to the top of Cole Hill. Scotty B won the KOM, as he usually does. After the regroup the pace picked up a bit on the way back, not by a small bit but a big bit..... :cry:
Everybody was pretty quiet on the way back, most I'm sure were thinking "bloody tandem" or words to that effect.....It was mentioned to me that I wasn't spending much time on the front at this stage. :roll: ......but I'm no fool (or I'd like to think I'm not, but some seem to disagree with me),as I knew that the "Bloody tandem" would spear past when we were at our most vulnerable......I think he gets enjoyment out of our pain...... :twisted:
Anyways as expected the pace picked up on the downhill after Colebrook, no need to say who by :roll: :roll: ...not much sharing of the lead happened from there...thought we'd leave him on the front...that will teach him to hurt us :twisted: did no one have the required energy left to lead..... Into the sprint we went with the tandem finally faltering, leaving Daisy on the front, surprisingly there were still 12 left for the sprint.....PMM Man had a plan :o :shock: :twisted: ......but apparently I stuffed that by getting bored & going too early.....So as I stamped onto the pedals with all I had increasing my impressive power output from 50watts to 60watts, I shot from the back past everybody with half the field picking up my tail as I flashed by, but as expected 10 metres later I bonked, leaving Bunny Hopper to take out the win......
Not sure who came after that.........
Coffee chat was as usual.....Pub after coffee was good too.....
Next week........

PS.
Ah the serenity........
Felt AR2

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 am

Actually I won the KOM no-one else was on Cole Hill when I crested the glorious slopes and I won the sprint at the end. The sprint ended at the bakery and as usual only I knew that. :)

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:14 pm

nailsaslegs wrote: no-one else was on Cole Hill when I crested the glorious slopes ..... and as usual only I knew that. :)
Umm........it was too good to resist Rob lol

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Short ride today had by all, total numbers 20+. Back Tea Tree was the course. Rod H attacked after the first berg and kept the pace on. Unfortunately Brian P hit the deck at 60+ coming down DuckPonds descent and was taken to the hospital. So the group came back down GT road to the bakery.

Went into see Brian he was in good spirits. He almost incurred the wrath of a nurse as she ran an emergency trolley into his bed he joked "women drivers" He has a few stiches and deep abrasions. He maybe in over night but should heal fine although his wife has said she is retiring him from cycling. But I don't think Brian is going to listen ;)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:13 pm

It was terrible to see Brian laying injured by the road. I hope he recovers in due course and is able to get back on the bike.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 am

Well, I've been away for a few weeks so it was time for a course of "something a bit different". Around 20 riders turned out on a Richmond-perfect day with little to no wind and a good riding temperature. The course was set as one of the big loops is reverse. A nice warm up took us over Brinktop and then Penna Road, Sharkpoint Road, East Coast Highway, Fingerpost, Tea Tree Road, Back Tea Tree Road, Malcolm's Hut Road and back to Richmond via Cambridge Road.

And a good steady ride it was. One puncture and four regroups and we wizzed around in good time. Averages were somewhere between 27 and 31kph depending on how long the wait at the regroup took. Special mention for PaulB taking out the bunch sprint. Obviously Rossie wasn't there this week.

Brian the elder joined us for coffee - all bandaged up with scars aplenty after last weeks fall. Five ribs and a punctured lung might be costing him some good sleep but it hasn't taken that smile off his face. For those getting ready for next week it might be a good idea to bring your climbing gears for another "something a bit different" course.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Yep... great to have the Benevolant Dictator back to guide the troops with his steadfast and sure direction. Though one would question the method of interpreting the directions if they could have seen the bunch on the corner of Penna Rd, milling around like beached lemmings waiting for said BD to appear and clarify proceedings. Fortunately, we did wait and did not follow the lead lemming (Christian Oakes) who went off on a course of his own but managed to rejoin the group as we went along the road to Fingerpost... somehow I think this may have been a ploy on Christian's part, a distraction, such as a couple of weeks back when he threw his pump onto the road to confuse the peloton.

And as far as the sprint to the finish line is concerned... it was the PMM jersey that did it... unstoppable, with Stewart Sayer a half wheel length behind !!!

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:09 pm

After the rain disrupted the weekly ride last week it was nice to see 15 riders turn up to ride three different courses in almost perfect conditions. Not warm but not cool, not a breath of wind, enough cloud to make it pleasant - another Richmond perfect day really.

The main bunch of 13 assembled awaiting the route for the day. A few strategically placed early hints had the nervousness meter turned up a bit - for good reason. The course was out to Fingerpost to the highway and - turn - left. A short distance and turn left onto the old highway - now a goat track - and then left again onto the Black Charlies climb. Straight for a while and then left again on the Ellendale road from Runnymede. Turn around and come back for coffee - easy.

Now I must say that I get called some interesting names at times after announcing the route - but today there were a few extras added to the list. Anyway - off we went. Black Charlies is not really that hard once you get to the top and the ride from there was quite pleasant. The trundle along the Ellendale road was though interesting countryside, the road was in reasonable condition and the traffic was sparse.

Some even said it was a good course by the time we got back. Coffee was good as always and the chat continued for a while. Brian, the elder, joined us for a chat. His scars and scrapes are healing nicely but he is back to hospital this afternoon to get a bit of fluid off that punctured lung. Fingers crossed for him. Next week - we could go anywhere!

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Dear Dictator,
After the initial shock of where are we going, it was a fabulous course. The mountain goats took control and once we turned for the return trip back well... do the words ... its not a race ... mean it is?
LOL my god we kicked it up ... I'm still on a buzz and believe we should tackle this course often, some of those straights we clocked over 50km/h. The look on those faces on the return said it all, and the chat and finger pointing summed it up ... till next week !
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Pretty Quick Report
60kms turned into 65kms.
Avg 30.2km/h
Time 2:09:07
Elevation 600m

Fairly slow start. A couple of chain mechanicals myself included. A speed wobble incident.
Richmond/Back Tea Tree/Broadmarsh/Black Brush Roubaix Road/Pontville/Brighton/Water Tower/Richmond.

Coffee and bakery goodness was had by all - good t see BrianP!

Tafi2

Postby Tafi2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:38 pm

'Autumn Leaves' ride around the Derwent Valley, Friday May 9 from Tynwald Park, New Norfolk 9.30am. Approx. 100km steady pace with regroups. In reverse this year so Ellendale for a coffee boost before Brown Mountain. Due to ze infamous river mist scenic views are not guaranteed, but you could always buy a postcard, bring gloves!

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Autumn Leaves has denied the veracity of the above ridiculous claim :D

Autumn Leaves went on to admit that he can get into enough trouble at Richmond on a Wednesday, and further denied ever having heard of Derwent Valley.

Trust a Tafi to attempt a hijack :D

Start your own thread lol :twisted:

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Tafi2 wrote:'Autumn Leaves' ride
Autumn Leaves has been contacted, and advises that he has not given permission for his name to be associated with this scam :twisted:

Tafi2

Postby Tafi2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:45 am

I'm sure even the esteemed Tafi got a wobble on now and then.
Ah yes, bring a brush to clear those leaves, no blowers, there's enough wind in the bunch already.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:03 am

Wobbles! Has happened to the best of us! Maybe that's his new nickname...wobbles!

*Daisy*

Postby *Daisy* » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 am

Gentlemen,
You have it all wrong, a long drawn out drinking session the night before i believe must have been the issue ...
The body craving for the elixir ...what else could it be?
Regards Daisy
___o
*`\<
(*) (*)

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Another glorious riding day in old Richmond town greeted the 19 assembled riders all eager to get away. Some grumbles and groans were detected as more and more strong riders turned up suggesting a bit of pain was to ensue. The course was decided - the forest road ride - that's the one with lots of Tree roads in it. So it went Middle Tea Tree, Tea Tree, Back Tea Tree, Grass Tree, Colebrook, Middle Tea Tree, Tea Tree, Back Tea Tree, Grass Tree and then Richmond for coffee.

The pace remained steady for the first lap and a half with most of the peleton remaining together with short waits for regrouping. The highlight of the first lap was RobS's GoPro snapping a mounting bracket on the descent of the Duck Pond Hill resulting in it descending faster than the rest of us and causing some concern amongst the bunch as it clattered down the road.

After sensible bunch riding for the majority of the ride someone had to take a run at a breakaway. With a set of train lines in sight the irrepressible PMMMan took off and gapped the bunch by a significant margin. The bunch was worried. No amount of not trying could get the gap any bigger but they were encouraged by his looking around at regular intervals and his obvious effort to maintain the gap. The next to break ranks was BarryTas in his annual run with us. A quick surge off the front and he was soon in a group of two - and then three - and then four - and then five. Things were getting serious with PMMMan the first to let go. Next gone was me with the remaining three sailing off into the distance.

The chasing pack picked up PMMMan and then me with their sights on Barry, young Raymond and ScottyB. A strategic lack of telling anyone that there would be no more regrouping slowed the front bunch but not enough to allow them to be caught. The youngsters dropped Scott and Barry took the honours wherever the line was.

And there we were having coffee joined by Brian the elder and Raymond the elder. With the GoPro in full action Brian the Elder was able to see the full story of what it is like tumbling down Duck Pond - the GoPro came out of it in much better condition than Brian had done!!!