Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

BenevolantDictatorD

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:48 pm

It was a true Autumn day in old Richmond town that had the weather forecasters amongst us a bit puzzled. After a bit of drizzle came and went and thoughts of alternative routes came and went I called the course as I had first thought it might be - with a first time trip on a new bit of road. So off we went at the allotted 9:00:00.000 with about ten of us - I didn't get around to counting. Up to the turnoff on to Grass Tree Hill Road and along for a hundred metres or so and turned right onto uncharted territory called Cold Blow Road. This, when combined with Marengo Road is 2.5kms of reasonably nice dirt. We had a bit of company as a couple of horses joined in the fun and started a race. Luckily they stopped at the fence and we claimed the win.

Left onto Middle Tea Tree and we set off in 'chase' of the two non-dirt riders who were now a klick in front of us and ambling along. Left onto Tea Tree Road for a regroup and then a 'catch' of the leaders before turning up Back Tea Tree. The plan was to do two laps of this but that went west when Ray snapped a couple of front wheel spokes, when he was right behind me, and came to a screeching halt. He managed to hold the bike up but the wheel wouldn't turn and ScottyB was sent off to bring Ray's car back.

A fair bit of idle chatter ensued as we waited and by the time Scotty had returned the peleton had given up and was heading back along Back Tea Tree heading for Richmond. Scotty turned up soon after and we tootled along and regrouped with the peleton at the top of Duck Pond Hill. From there another regroup on Water Tower and then the serious stuff started. I was happily sitting behind Scotty until he dropped a chain giving me a second set of palpitations for the day. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This happened at the back of the bunch so they kept going and when the chain was back in place the two of us continued on catching sight of someone in the distance at some stage. Coffee chat went on for a while - it drizzled for a while. Farewell to our regular international - Gerry - who comes to Tassie each year just to ride with us. :wink:

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:19 am

Not much action on the RBWR site for a while. I managed a Wednesday ride last week on a circuit of Myrtleford to Yacandandah and back via Beechworth. 80 odd km in a fair bit of drizzle.

Yesterday it was Swan Hill, Ultima, Culgoa, Lalbert and back for 140k. Climbing for the day probably topped out at 140m. Its seriously flat out here.

Missing the coffee chat.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:45 am

Hey Dale,

my wife is from Myrtleford & I've spent about 5 years living there. Nice part of the world... Your Wednesday ride would have been nice in the dry. Dunno about drizzle.
The flat course is about as flat as it gets...

Enjoy your travels 8)

Cheers, Paul.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 am

Sorry to hear about the broken fingers :roll:

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed May 31, 2017 8:16 pm

It's been over a year since a ride report has appeared - slack me.

For those who wondered - we are still riding. We still turn out 10 to 20 riders depending on the weather. We still leave from the car park opposite the back of the Richmond Bakery at 9:00:00.000. Well, actually, some things have changed. Sometimes we leave before 9!!!

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:12 am

BenevolantDictatorD wrote: Sometimes we leave before 9!!!
This must be when you do the next weeks ride this week?
I take it that nothing has changed in the makeup of the riders.......ie....all thorough gentlemen . :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am

master6 wrote:
I take it that nothing has changed in the makeup of the riders.......ie....all thorough gentlemen . :D
None of the riders wear makeup. This is not a cross dressing bunch.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Paul B wrote:
master6 wrote:
. :D
This is not a cross dressing bunch.
Having been inspired by "Sheeds, A Touch Of Cunning", a book about the great AFL coach Kevin Sheedy, I must ask, why not?

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:12 pm

The RBWR "Superior" group set out in frosty conditions at 9.00.00 am, as one would expect (or suspect if one was not present) . About 12 riders spent the morning strutting their best stuff, with PMM Man bolting home to claim victory. Unfortunately For PMM Man, a review of proceedings determined that the "Gentlemans" group had come home with a 10 minute advantage, and victory was confirmed in favour of the latter. It may be that the rules of engagement are subject to review.

For the benefit of Gentlemen contemplating participation with like minded fellows, the average speed today was 21.3 kph. Departure time for this group is 10.00.00am.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:01 am

Ruchmond Bakery Wednesday Ride lives on. 9.00am today will see the struggle continue :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:04 pm

master6 wrote:Ruchmond Bakery Wednesday Ride lives on. 9.00am today will see the struggle continue :D
RBWR was the usual quality event. Low on numbers as winter sets in. And as Churchill famously said... “Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead” :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:11 pm

There are claims in the air this week that RBWR is now 20 years old. Can you believe it? Confirmation by the Dictator is called for on this matter.
Last edited by master6 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 am

When the checkered flag drops, the bulls stuff stops. The elevated covered dining area at Richmond Bakery is now known as Bestwick Hill. Paul Bestwick, State Championship winner 2019, congratulations.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks Master 6. Coming from the Doyen that is high praise indeed!! It was you who introduced me to the RBWR.... the time I have since spent riding there and what I have learned from a few of the better cyclists there is largely what underpins this result. So I can say with confidence that without Richmond this never would have happened. So thanks and kudos to all the riders there who have pushed me hard and given me the confidence to have won a State title. I can say with all honesty that this achievement reflects the commitment and hard work of all the riders who put in every week. I’m just the one who was crazy enough to push that extra step.