Tasman Bridge pedestrian/bike lanes

sammy_gray

Postby sammy_gray » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Hey all. Just interested to see what everyone's opinions are about the walkways on the bridge. Personally I think the walkways should be one way, as I find it really annoying having to stop/go past someone coming up the other way. It seems common sense to me to ride one way in the direction that the traffic is moving. It's really not that hard to add an extra minute to your ride to go under the underpass to ride on the left side. Not sure if i'm just being simple minded here and seeing a problem where there isn't one. What's your thoughts about one way paths?

johnm_oz

Re: Tasman Bridge pedestrian/bike lanes

Postby johnm_oz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Couldn't agree more. When I emerge from my current whirlwind I'm going to start writing letters...

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 20&t=47923

Cheers
JM

sammy_gray wrote:Hey all. Just interested to see what everyone's opinions are about the walkways on the bridge. Personally I think the walkways should be one way, as I find it really annoying having to stop/go past someone coming up the other way. It seems common sense to me to ride one way in the direction that the traffic is moving. It's really not that hard to add an extra minute to your ride to go under the underpass to ride on the left side. Not sure if i'm just being simple minded here and seeing a problem where there isn't one. What's your thoughts about one way paths?

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 am

Interesting topic. It does depend on where I am going as to what side I take, but you are right in the case that you can slip under the bridge in either direction, so it would be made to go with the traffic. But it couldnt be policed :?

markpa

Postby markpa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:29 am

I cross it pretty much every day coming from Lindisfarne and find it's really not an issue. Whether it's passing pedestrains heading same direction as you, or cyclists heading the opposite a little courtesy and patience and you're away.
I think adding complexity where it isn't really required makes it harder to let people know that riding isn't hard (including those who say I couldn't ride to city, the bridge is too hard/dangerous/...)
Especially as the need to ride under bridge and back up would be on road and not a bike lane.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 am

I'm not in favour of making the pedestrian/cycle lanes one way. As markpa says, a little courtesy and patience... Being narrow, metal floor, with cross winds and obstructions, you really shouldn't be challenging Strava segment records on them anyway. If you want to do that, use the roadway! (yes, it's legal)
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 am

markpa wrote:I cross it pretty much every day coming from Lindisfarne and find it's really not an issue. Whether it's passing pedestrains heading same direction as you, or cyclists heading the opposite a little courtesy and patience and you're away.
I think adding complexity where it isn't really required makes it harder
I agree. I usually use the downstream side of the bridge to travel between Sorell and Hobart, and return.
Last week I found myself in Moonah, wanting to go to Sorell. I rode the bikeway and went over the upstream side of the bridge. When I arrived at the eastern end I found a sign 'End of Bikeway", and no obvious safe way to proceed. There did not appear to be any advisory signs. This needs attention.

docca

Postby docca » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:27 am

Yes it should be one way but would need a bit of attention on the eastern side to get walkers from upstream to use it correctly.

sammy_gray

Postby sammy_gray » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 pm

master6 wrote: I agree. I usually use the downstream side of the bridge to travel between Sorell and Hobart, and return.
Last week I found myself in Moonah, wanting to go to Sorell. I rode the bikeway and went over the upstream side of the bridge. When I arrived at the eastern end I found a sign 'End of Bikeway", and no obvious safe way to proceed. There did not appear to be any advisory signs. This needs attention.
Yeah it may be that riders on the eastern Lindisfarne side are unaware of how to get around to the other side with lack of signage.
mcdurdin wrote: As markpa says, a little courtesy and patience... Being narrow, metal floor, with cross winds and obstructions, you really shouldn't be challenging Strava segment records on them anyway.
I do like the thrill of going down the other side with a bit of speed with barriers on either side, so yes a bit of patience is probably the key for me ahah.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 pm

sammy_gray wrote:I do like the thrill of going down the other side with a bit of speed with barriers on either side, so yes a bit of patience is probably the key for me ahah.
Have you considered the state of the Tasmanian Health System? One small misjudgement, and a shoulder reconstruction might be the minimum requirement :mrgreen:

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 am

master6 wrote:...
Have you considered the state of the Tasmanian Health System? One small misjudgement, and a shoulder reconstruction might be the minimum requirement :mrgreen:
Yeh, especially 'round those bloody winches...

Cheers
JM

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 pm

johnm_oz wrote:
master6 wrote:...
Yeh, especially 'round those bloody winches...
Killed a bloke a couple of years back. Buzzing across the bridge and the strong winds blew an unsecured steel cabinet door open and he hit it at speed.

I rode across the Tasman bridge a couple of times way back in the early-mid 80s. Both times I just rode across the roadway..... fully loaded with touring panniers. :mrgreen: Had no real worries.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:26 am

I thought he was injured, not killed?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 am

Hmm, you may be correct, but if so it was a severe injury.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 pm

It is a thrill to ride on the roadway, its a lot faster and some consier it less dangerous. Given the choice I would ride on the road. When I was younger back in the 90's a young girl was hit by a rider coming down and she ended up losing all her teeth, after she was catapualted onto the railing.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 pm

doesnt bother me now they got rid of those orange things.

My pet hate at the minute is the bridgewater bridge and those railway tracks. i got caught in them today and came off. they cross the road at a 45degree angle. Part of me wants to go out there later tonight with a big bag of concrete and fix it all up. prob not great idea.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Regarding Bridgewater Bridge, it's not great but they did build a little path on the side specifically for cyclists so you can approach the crossing at a better angle, didn't they?

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:50 pm

not sure, maybe on the other side. did see some green lanes nearby. i was heading south, towards hobart. we got on the walkway and rode over the bridge and then on the shoulder of the road, no bike lanes that i saw. It was all ok but I wasnt awake to the tracks angled the way they were. its one to watch. lucky i wasnt going at speed. straight after i did it my riding partner told us of someone else who did the exact same thing...only much worse.

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:36 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Regarding Bridgewater Bridge, it's not great but they did build a little path on the side specifically for cyclists so you can approach the crossing at a better angle, didn't they?
"Its not great". mcdurdan, you are the man of truth, but must have a split personality :D You are also the man of understatement. Whoever did the little job you are referring to should have his handyman ticket shredded.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:44 pm

master6 wrote:mcdurdin, you are the man of truth, but must have a split personality :D You are also the man of understatement.
Wait till I get on the bike. Then I have another personality again. I do enjoy a little toddle around the traps on my two wheeled contraption.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Ive seen more people come a croper because of the new little cycle lane onto the Bridgewater Bridge than I did before. And lane around the roundabout to Granton, its full of glass and gravel much safer to ride on the road and be aware of cars.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 am

Hi team. Just to add a bit of history on both bridges. I used to commute the Tasman 4 times a week. One morning I was riding dwon and the phone cupboard door was flapping. I stopped and tried to fix it and failed so i headed down to the control room to tell them. Half way there i remembered i had some electrical tape in my pack. I turned around and headed back to find the rider behind me had hit that door and was flat on the deck unconscious. A phone call got the ambulance there pretty quick and he made a recovery. Last I heard he still doesn't remember the crash. I go a bit slow on the footpath these days.

I've broken two bikes on the Tasman and crashed on the train lines at Granton with the truck behind me stopping about 5 meters short. I use that "dinky little sidepath" every time now. :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:54 am

As a cycle tourist departing Hobart, I found the Tasman Bridge too daunting a prospect on my loaded touring bike. Not for the grade so much - I'm sure that foreshortening makes it appear steeper than it really is, but for the apparent narrowness of the path, and the difficulty finding my way on and off it.
I chose to cross at Bowen Bridge and then ride over Grasstree Hill, which turned out to be not particularly difficult.
Near the Tasman Bridge I met group of students and their teacher from Claremont High, and enjoyed a pleasant chat with him as we rode along the bikeway to Elwick Road. That made a very pleasant start to my Giro Tasmania.
No doubt though the Bowen Bridge route would be impractical for most commuters.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Speaking of Bowen Bridge... Did you read today's little letter to the paper about cyclists on it?

http://marc.durdin.net/2012/03/lycra-cl ... ck-of.html

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:40 pm

mcdurdin wrote:Speaking of Bowen Bridge... Did you read today's little letter to the paper about cyclists on it?

http://marc.durdin.net/2012/03/lycra-cl ... ck-of.html
Yes, A. Garvey of Montrose is talking about "when the lycra goes on and a point has to be proved..................". Do you have any idea what point he/she is attempting to prove?

Mention of lycra in a discussion about bicycles and/or cyclists is always a strong indicator of an ensuing sarcastic useless contribution.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:53 pm

No idea what point needs to be proven... And yes, I'm sure that my response would be completely ignored by A. Garvey of Montrose even if they happened to stumble across my blog. But I just wanted to vent :-) I wasn't wearing lycra at the time I wrote the blog post. But I'm about to put some on now for the commute home. Have a great weekend!