A bright bunch...Hobart Walking Club Cyclists

master6

A bright bunch...Hobart Walking Club Cyclists

Postby master6 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Riding through Campania today I noticed a brightly attired cyclist ahead. As I rounded the bend to exit the town for Richmond I noticed over a dozen riders ahead, all at about 200 metre intervals, and all highly visible. The leader was well over a km ahead, and I could count riders back to the fella just ahead of me. When I caught him, a brief discussion revealed that they were members of the Hobart Walking Club, heading for Tea Tree. We parted company at Tea Tree rd turnoff.

A lesson in visibility for the rest of us.

BenevolantDictatorD

Re: A bright bunch...Hobart Walking Club Cyclists

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:35 am

Absolutely visible and very appropriate for groups such as "introverts anonymous" and the "Don't talk to me" club. It does make it a bit difficult to have a chat when your are 200m apart though - not to mention the loss of most of the drafting benefit of travelling in the same direction. How could PMM Man annoy everyone if they weren't in earshot??

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:41 pm

BenevolantDictatorD wrote:Absolutely visible and very appropriate for groups such as "introverts anonymous" and the "Don't talk to me" club. It does make it a bit difficult to have a chat when your are 200m apart though - not to mention the loss of most of the drafting benefit of travelling in the same direction. How could PMM Man annoy everyone if they weren't in earshot??
Hang on, for about 10 minutes,,,,,,,while I get over the laughter :D :D

For one brought up from a young age to view the wheel ahead in the same desperate manner that the dog views the hare, I must admit it was a strange experience, however, let's look at the positives:-

They did make an interesting sight, as does a christmas tree. (I have always likes christmas trees)
Each rider gained the additional exercise by not sucking wheels
There was no arguing
Motorists would like the formation

There must be a lot of negatives:-

No one to half wheel.
No motivational comments from Prime Motivational Man.
No one waiting for the last rider
No Richmond Bakery
No finishing line
No second finishing line

An interesting concept.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 am

I see this frequently with mixed groups on our club rides. Less experience with group riding (both the techniques and the benefits), a wider range of ability levels so the slower riders simply cannot hold the pace of more experienced riders, and some slow riders actually have a bit of a phobia about holding a wheel too close, so they drop back and cop the breeze - it all adds up to a more widely spread group. Our club policy is to have frequent regroups - at turns where people may get lost, or about every 10-20kms depending on the pace of slower riders. These regroups are where the chatting occurs and equipment debates rage :wink:

On Lovely Banks Rd - Jan 1st
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."