looking for a bike friendly town in Tas

thecaptn

looking for a bike friendly town in Tas

Postby thecaptn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi all,

My partner and I are planning to move to Tasmania from country Victoria in the next 5 years and are trying to decide on where may be a nice place to live. Our plan involves setting up a sustainable lifestyle in or near a country town which has a progressive community. Cycling for transport as well as enjoyment is a part of our current lifestyle and an aspect we're keen to replicate there. We've read about bike hating bogans in Hobart and wish to avoid these types as much as possible. Geeveston sounds nice as it is a transition's town with lots of associated community activities.

Later in the year we are travelling to Tassie with the car for 3 weeks to holiday and check out some likely districts, does anyone have any suggestions for us? These would be greatly appreciated.

RonK

Re: looking for a bike friendly town in Tas

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:49 pm

thecaptn wrote:Hi all,

My partner and I are planning to move to Tasmania from country Victoria in the next 5 years and are trying to decide on where may be a nice place to live. Our plan involves setting up a sustainable lifestyle in or near a country town which has a progressive community. Cycling for transport as well as enjoyment is a part of our current lifestyle and an aspect we're keen to replicate there. We've read about bike hating bogans in Hobart and wish to avoid these types as much as possible. Geeveston sounds nice as it is a transition's town with lots of associated community activities.

Later in the year we are travelling to Tassie with the car for 3 weeks to holiday and check out some likely districts, does anyone have any suggestions for us? These would be greatly appreciated.
I've been scouting Tassie for a couple of years now with the same idea in mind. Quite a number of locations have appealed, but I have realised that what is important as you get older is to have all the services and facilities you are likely to need nearby. Ignore reports of bike hating bogans - you can find them anywhere in Australia, every city has places that it is better to avoid. Hobart has an active cycling community if you want to get involved. Personally I really enjoy the relaxed Hobart lifestyle and my choice would be Battery Point or Sandy Bay within easy walking distance of Salamanca Place and the city. It's a bit difficult to find affordable real estate in these locations though. Other possibilities are North, South and West Hobart, and Glebe.

Coles Bay was for a long time the pick, but eventually I decided that it is too far from Hobart. Same for Bicheno. Other east coast towns that appeal are Swansea and Orford, at around an hour or so from Hobart.

Closer to Hobart, Cambridge and Richmond are possibilities, and the Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride is a regular fixture. Richmond is also as I understand the main venue for the Southern Tasmanian Veterans Cycling Club. If you want to live near the water nearby is Seven Mile Beach, or a little further out Midway Point, and a bit more the Lewisham/Dodges Ferry/Carlton area are around 35-40 minutes from Hobart.

I passed through Geeveston again just a few weeks ago, and although it's a nice little town, it's a timber town and can be guaranteed to have its share of rednecks. My choice of locations on the Huon would be Cygnet, only 50 minutes from Hobart, which has a slightly alternative feel and a fast growing reputation since Matthew Evans made his Gourmet Farmer series. Get the DVD's and check it out. For some more background, here an article from the Mercury about the Red Velvet Lounge, a delightful little place where I had breakfast recently. And here's another inspirational Cygnet story. While you are visiting Cygnet, follow the Channel Highway through the charming coastal locations along the D'Entrecasteaux Channel opposite Bruny Island. Woodbridge and Kettering, Snug are all very appealing.

If you haven't visited Hobart before, make sure you are there for the Saturday Market in Salamanca Place.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:14 pm

thecaptn wrote:Our plan involves setting up a sustainable lifestyle in or near a country town which has a progressive community. Cycling for transport as well as enjoyment is a part of our current lifestyle and an aspect we're keen to replicate there.
Obviously there's a wide field of what people consider sustainable, but from your post I am presuming you are looking to minimise your time spend in a car for most common activities, whilst setting up a self contained living space. One important thing to note about Tassie is that only the larger country towns tend to be fairly self contained so you would ideally want to be in striking distance of one of those. Also cycling down here generally involves a fair few hills, not necessarily the case in a lot of the rest of Australia so you have been warned! A couple of suggestions are as follows:

Cygnet: This is a pretty progressive little town that has really made a name for itself as an arts/ alternative living community. It's quite self contained with a small supermarket, butcher and hardware shop, as well as several good cafes and arts + crafts stores. It has an excellent fortnightly market which has a range of local produce, and plenty of community groups for various activities. From a cycling perspective it's the lunch stop for a popular circuit for Hobart roadies, therefore people are used to seeing bikes on the roads. Huonville, a large regional centre is also within reasonable cycling distance (~15km one way), and it has bus links to Hobart.

Franklin: Smaller than Cygnet and not as well supplied with shops. although it is closer to Huonville (8km one way), Franklin is also a progressive little town, with it's impressive wooden boat trust one of the best known community organisations in Tasmania. There is a lot of local produce sold on the roadside and in the town itself, and various arts groups are present. Geeveston is bike accessible from Franklin (~10km) and a Hobart bus link runs through the town.

Best of luck.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

reefer

Postby reefer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 am

I have lived in Townsville for the last 3 years, but previously lived in Lachlan near New Norfolk for 10 years.

I won’t tip toe around, if your looking for an ideal plot for a nice lifestyle, ask the difficult questions. Because you may have to put up with a lifestyle you don’t like.

What is the logging like in my area.
What are the burnoffs like.
Whats the log truck traffic.
Do they spray (from choppers).
Do they 10/80 bait in my area? (if you have dogs who love to eat roadkill like mine did).

If you choose to live in a valley, consider the smoke in winter. They like their wood fuelled heaters. In my valley, I would not see the sun for weeks at at time due to Fog. We had lovely green grass all year though.

Telecommunications is also horrid. I was on ISDN up until 2008. Then had to have Nextg for home internet, which wasn’t too bad, just pricey.

Really get to know an area before you consider living there permanently.

We ended up in the Lachlan Valley, virtually no Forestry as most of the valley is a watershed. Its close to New Norfolk, that has almost everything you seek and just under one hour from Hobart CBD. Its also much cheaper than most places south of Hobart. Maybe not quite as wet all year, but we never ran out of tank water in 10 years.

Don’t know that I would ever cycle down there, far too many log trucks for my liking.

Tassie can be a beautiful place, but some lovely areas are a facade and just behind it is the ugly face of forestry.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 am

Hi,
You should also check out the weather for the area you might be interested in.

Tassie weather can be very fickle, miserable one day more miserable the next.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:25 pm

There have been some points raised on this forum commenting on forestry and the resulting non-bike friendly effects. One point worth raising is that in the last few years forestry has really been scaled back due to the ongoing state and federal government negotiations over a 'peace deal' between the forestry industry and green groups. As a result there is far less logging traffic than there used to be several years ago, although there are still heavily used routes that are worth knowing about. Having said that there are plenty of other large trucks around, and my experience is that for the most part they are pretty respectful of cyclists.
RonK wrote:Ignore reports of bike hating bogans - you can find them anywhere in Australia
+1 to this. There are well known Bogan breeding grounds around Tas, but these are not likely to be anywhere you'd be considering so I wouldn't give it a second thought.
ozzymac wrote:You should also check out the weather for the area you might be interested in.
Good point here, although I think in practice the climate suits cyclists better than the mainland as you don't often have serious heat. You will have to put up with some crispy mornings in the winter though. On the West Coast I'd be concerned about growing mould as they measure rain in metres over there, but the east coast is fine. For example Hobart actually has a lower average rainfall than Melbourne which probably isn't high on the radar of most mainlanders perceptions about the place.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:11 pm

All valid points indeed, thanks very much for the advice and we'll welcome any more which comes our way.
We currently live in Drouin Victoria which is relatively hilly, cold and wet so we're partly aclimatised.

Originally, we were interested in Strahan as I love my hiking and kayaking but common sense prevailed and a closer proximity to Hobart is now our choice. We stayed in Battery point for 4 days last year and loved it but I prefer the relationships one builds in a country town. All of our friends and most of our family members live locally to where we are now but the city is enveloping the area and changing it for ever. The network one enjoys by being a local will have to be rebuilt afresh. That and our beautiful veggie garden :cry:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 am

Here is a link to the web site Moving to Tasmania which may have useful information.

And some cycling related sites.

Cycling South Tasmania
BikeTas

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:43 pm

RonK wrote:Here is a link to the web site Moving to Tasmania which may have useful information.

And some cycling related sites.

Cycling South Tasmania
BikeTas
Thanks Ron for the links, they're going to be very usefull. The Mrs and I can have a good look at then over lunch.

novice

Postby novice » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Just thought I would add my two bobs worth.
I moved to Longford 4 years ago and only started riding a bike about 2 years ago. This township is only 35 km south of Launceston and would have to be one of the best areas to ride in Australia. We are situated on the northern midland plains close to the foot hills of the Western Tiers. Some mornings when I am on my training rides, I just stop and look at the mountains and think WOW!
There are many scenic quiet country roads that surround this town and a great group of cycling enthusiasts that live here. We have the best of both worlds here, as we have the city facilities close by and all the benefits of a major rural centre as well. Many Mainland visitors that have come on our bunch rides have commented on how lucky we are to have such a beautiful area to ride in.
I have found the locals to be very friendly and welcoming. My wife and I just love it here and the riding has been the best thing I have ever done in my life.
Excuses are like arseholes! Everybody has one and they all stink! - Lance Armstrong .

Scott CR1 Pro 2011
Avanti Scratch 2.0 29er set up for road use.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:44 pm

novice wrote:Just thought I would add my two bobs worth.
I moved to Longford 4 years ago and only started riding a bike about 2 years ago. This township is only 35 km south of Launceston and would have to be one of the best areas to ride in Australia. We are situated on the northern midland plains close to the foot hills of the Western Tiers. Some mornings when I am on my training rides, I just stop and look at the mountains and think WOW!
There are many scenic quiet country roads that surround this town and a great group of cycling enthusiasts that live here. We have the best of both worlds here, as we have the city facilities close by and all the benefits of a major rural centre as well. Many Mainland visitors that have come on our bunch rides have commented on how lucky we are to have such a beautiful area to ride in.
I have found the locals to be very friendly and welcoming. My wife and I just love it here and the riding has been the best thing I have ever done in my life.
On my Giro Tasmania I rode along the Meander Valley highway past Longford through Carrick, Hadspen, Westbury and Deloraine to Mole Creek. As you say it was a lovely ride, and view of the Western Tiers was wonderful. I was really taken Westbury and Deloraine as potential places to live. I have visited Longford and it is similarly attractive. And Launceston is very accessible from all.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm

North and North West coasts. Devonport/Port Sorrell/Ulverstone. Roads are good, traffic densities modest and because of the dominance of the Bass Highway there are plenty of good, quiet rural roads to ride on.

Also, the northern coastal regions are relatively temperate.

Still, having grown-up in Tassie and having spent the first 22 years of my life there you'd never get me back! :D
Not my circus, not my monkeys

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:34 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:North and North West coasts. Devonport/Port Sorrell/Ulverstone. Roads are good, traffic densities modest and because of the dominance of the Bass Highway there are plenty of good, quiet rural roads to ride on.

Still, having grown-up in Tassie and having spent the first 22 years of my life there you'd never get me back! :D

Why would you never go back?

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:34 pm

thecaptn wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:North and North West coasts. Devonport/Port Sorrell/Ulverstone. Roads are good, traffic densities modest and because of the dominance of the Bass Highway there are plenty of good, quiet rural roads to ride on.

It's a small minded place, the economy isn't great (it really doesn't exist at all), it's a good place to visit, but you couldn't pay me enough to move back, getting me to visit is hard enough.

I grew up in Launceston primarily, also lived on a property near Mathina and Carrick, I left over 10 years ago and was there for 16 years.

Although, we had deer on our property, devils, a gold mine and I had a pony... so it wasn't all bad. A lot of alternative communities in the Deloraine area though, I spent the first year of my life on a Dairy Farm up that way.

That being said, surround yourself with likeminded people and you'll love the place, there was a movie out a few months ago about the Tiger... I remember spending hours in bushland like that as a kid, in the middle of winter, you had a snack, a dog and a stick.

Two types of Tasmanians, 1) those who leave and never go back (me) 2) those who go back to settle down

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 pm

thecaptn wrote:

Because I discovered the rest of the world.

I do go back every year to see what's left of my family (going back this weekend as a matter of fact) and I get back on overnight business trips from time to time and every time I strep off the plane it's like going back through a time warp.

Parker got some of my feelings in her opinion, too.

Anyway, we are not here to bag the pubis-shaped island but to give advice on where to live and I stand by my comments regarding the Ulverstone-Devonport-Port Sorrell region.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:12 pm

I would go back, eventually. The wifes family are Tasmanian.

We moved for work as the economy is pretty stale down there. I would love to go back on my mainlanders salary, could live like a king.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:44 pm

True, Skull, but a fairly bored king. The joint seems to shut-down every night at 6.

I fly into Launceston to drive to Burnie, getting-in around 8pm. Apart from the garage near the airport there is nowhere to stop for any kind of sustenance on the two-hour drive. And when I get to Burnie everything is shut there as well!

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:True, Skull, but a fairly bored king. The joint seems to shut-down every night at 6.

I fly into Launceston to drive to Burnie, getting-in around 8pm. Apart from the garage near the airport there is nowhere to stop for any kind of sustenance on the two-hour drive. And when I get to Burnie everything is shut there as well!
You try finding a coffee in Perth at 7am in the morning

skull

Postby skull » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:20 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:True, Skull, but a fairly bored king. The joint seems to shut-down every night at 6.
Not bored, there is plenty of riding to be done.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Releng

Postby Releng » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Parker wrote: You try finding a coffee in Perth at 7am in the morning
If you hang around in Perth till 8am you should be ok:
http://utsicafe.blogspot.com.au/

This is a Tassie thread after all!

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Releng wrote:
Parker wrote: You try finding a coffee in Perth at 7am in the morning
If you hang around in Perth till 8am you should be ok:
http://utsicafe.blogspot.com.au/

This is a Tassie thread after all!
It looks pretty nice that place :) especially the pumpkin chai loaf

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 pm

We moved down from brisbane 1.5 yrs ago, and live 1/2 hr from hobart on bush acreage in sandford. At my door is MTB trails for 40+km, a beach within 5 min walk. And haven't looked back. Slowbart is slow, but that part of the charm. I worked in advertising, and I can't find anything remotely similar to the $$ before..... but I have more time now. I'm with my wife more, I'm riding more, even walking with the dogs more. We couldn't be happier. We love it down here.

(Ok small disclaimer: My wife is an optometrist, earning more here than brisbane)

Yes hobart is slow, the economy is non-existant, but I'd rather be here having no stress and time for family (or mtb / roadie) than earning the big bucks!!

I've also ridden regularly through rokeby and warrane, rison and glenorchy to name a few. In brisbane I'd commute along logan rd, do the river loop, or cleveland lighthouse, samford etc... and honestly I feel safer down here.

If you're down this way pm me, head out for a ride :)

Simon

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:45 am

simon.young wrote:We moved down from brisbane 1.5 yrs ago, and live 1/2 hr from hobart on bush acreage in sandford. At my door is MTB trails for 40+km, a beach within 5 min walk.

Simon

Looks very nice Simon, some nice places for kayaking too.

Do you have to travel far to do your grocery shopping?

simon.young

Postby simon.young » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:02 pm

thecaptn wrote: Looks very nice Simon, some nice places for kayaking too.

Do you have to travel far to do your grocery shopping?
There's an IGA 5mins down the road with most of the essentials w/ a deli, or wworths about 15min. Or just buy in hobart on the way home.

Alot of planning is going on with some house dev knocked back because of enviro reasons. Eventually will lead to more development, more supermarkets, and hopefully wider roads. ATM its 2 lane (1 each way) for the last 15mins driving home.

Due to employment we needed to stay close to hobart, and found sandford had exactly what we wanted. Close enough for work, and a few drinks after, but enough room to be left alone. Hobbies at the doorstep. Now just have to convince wifey that I need another hobby : kayaking :)

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am

simon.young wrote:

Due to employment we needed to stay close to hobart, and found sandford had exactly what we wanted. Close enough for work, and a few drinks after, but enough room to be left alone. Hobbies at the doorstep. Now just have to convince wifey that I need another hobby : kayaking :)
[/quote]

Does N+1 apply to kayaks?