Cycling Hobart

Cycling Hobart

Postby thecaptn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi All,

My wife and i are going to stay in Hobart in October and are hoping to be able to get around on our bikes. I've looked online for a map of bike paths but am unable to source one. Can any one please tell me is there bicycle infrestructure in Hobart similar to that which can be utilised in Melbourne?
thecaptn

by BNA » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm

BNA

Re: Cycling Hobart

Postby rangersac » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Hobart cycle map:

http://www.cyclingsouth.org/images/stories/Documents/bike%20map%202012-side1.pdf

thecaptn wrote:Can any one please tell me is there bicycle infrestructure in Hobart similar to that which can be utilised in Melbourne?

In a word, no. Hobart has very few separated cycle tracks, with the Intercity cycleway the most extensive. Also on road bike lanes are pretty sparse. Mind you coming from Melbourne you'll think the traffic is comparable to Sunday morning. Be advised though that Hobart is MUCH hillier than Melb.!

One thing Hobart does have is excellent mountain biking not far from the city centre if that's your thing.

http://www.wellingtonpark.org.au/assets/wellingtonpark_bikemapBwholepark.pdf
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby LG » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:17 am

After spending last week in Perth I can tell you that with the exception of the inter city cycleway, Hobart's cycling infrastructure is absolutely apalling. Saying that, it's still not too bad getting from A to B in most places once you know your way around a bit. A newcomer to Hobart would probably find it quite daunting.
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:11 am

Hobart Is a tiny place (pop, circa 200k) laid out in narrow strip along the Derwent, hemmed in by steep slopes.
There is one road in and one road out, and one cycleway. Or you can cross to the eastern shore and head out that way. Whatever, there is little traffic compared to my home city.
When I went there for the Giro Tasmania, I thought cyclists were quite well served considering the size of the place and didn't find it at all daunting.
The only route I found off putting (riding my loaded touring bike) was the steep and narrow path on the Tasman Bridge. I chose instead the Intercity Bikeway and Bowen Bridge for the crossing.
The southern route along Sandy Bay Road through Taroona is a little hilly and tight around Bonnet Hill, but didn't cause me any concerns on my exploratory ride down the Channel Highway.
Likewise an exploration via Cascade Drive and Strickland Avenue through South Hobart to Ferntree on Mount Wellington was untroubled by traffic and while hard work it is a great ride.
On my return from the Giro I entered Hobart from the north, and the route via the old road along the river and on to the Intercity Bikeway again could not have been easier.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Return to Tasmania