Bike box hire in Hobart?

AndyRevill

Bike box hire in Hobart?

Postby AndyRevill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi all,

having just spent a week in Canberra wishing I'd had my bike with me but not being too sure of the practicalities/reality of taking it with me regularly, I was wondering if any knows if one of the bike shops around Hobart rent bike boxes? I was thinking of the hard shell type. That way I could give it a try before splashing out and buying one.

cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

RonK

Re: Bike box hire in Hobart?

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm not trying to be cute Andy, but why don't you try phoning a few of them. I know many bike shops do rent them out.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:31 pm

RonK wrote:I'm not trying to be cute Andy, but why don't you try phoning a few of them. I know many bike shops do rent them out.
Just trying to short circuit the process :D but if no one has any specific suggestions then I'll be on the phone when I get back

Cheers
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

Jarod

Postby Jarod » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 pm

I called a few of the Hobart bike shops late last year for a bike bag. Most didn't rent them out and the only one I could find that did was Bike Ride. That wasn't a hard case bike box either, just a regular fabric one.

But yeah, call the dozen or so bike shops around. Then you'll have 100% of the answers you need. :)

huonphil

Postby huonphil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Andy

I sent you a PM, but it still seems to be in my outbox rather than sent.

If you are unable to find a hire box let me know, I am in Huonville and have one you can borrow short term.

Philip

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 am

As far as I know no shops rent out a soft or hard cover bag however most will have a box and all the right plastic piecnes and bubble wrap. Unless your travelling OS, then thats all you really need, Ive travelled around Aus and to NZ using one. I now have a Zipp Weaponary bike bag bought from Applebys which is great.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was sort of expecting it might be less than positive but I'll ring around and see how I go. Phils offer is really generous (PM replied) and I'll investigate the "normal" box suggestion with the LBS where I got the bike. There's no mad rush as I don't know when the next suitable trip will be but I want to be prepared :D

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5