Ray Appleby's Hobart

Paul B
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: Hobart

Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Went into town today and thought I would pop into my favourite bike store and........ it was gone :cry: Anyone care to enlighten me as to what has transpired :?:

User avatar
Bob_TAS
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby Bob_TAS » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Avanti bought it from Ray Appleby years ago and rode it into the ground. There was a liquidation sale at Gowans a couple of months ago. If you're nearby, go see Marty on Derwent Park Rd (Moonah Bike Shop) who really knows his stuff.

Paul B
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: Hobart

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Bummer. Was the best shop in Hobart. The staff were great too, wonder where they went.

nailsaslegs
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby nailsaslegs » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Avanti didn't actually own Applebys, however due to circumstances it had to close. I would only recommend BikeRide. The problem is most bike shops either treat you like an idiot which I hate or the people there have no personality at all. :?

Depends what your after in Hobart, MTBing go see John at Cyclingo or Treadlies. Road go see BikeRide guys. Repairs, BikeRide. Chat, BikeRide, Treadlies or Cyclingo. Coffee = none :(

I do most of my own repairs myself now after Applebys has closed

iaintas
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby iaintas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:29 pm

cyclingo has never made me feel particularly comfortable, maybe its just me, but i quiet often get ignored when i first walk in and first impressions count!
Image

User avatar
skull
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby skull » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:38 pm

iaintas wrote:cyclingo has never made me feel particularly comfortable, maybe its just me, but i quiet often get ignored when i first walk in and first impressions count!



I had a similar experience

Bob_TAS wrote:Avanti bought it from Ray Appleby years ago and rode it into the ground.


Avanti didn't buy out Ray's, Scott took it on from Ray. Ray continued to work there part time. Unfortunately they had to close.

However I drifted away from Appleby's when BikeRide opened the staff were a key point in regard to that.

User avatar
bazsand
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Sandford Hobart

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby bazsand » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 pm

iaintas wrote:cyclingo has never made me feel particularly comfortable, maybe its just me, but i quiet often get ignored when i first walk in and first impressions count!


I've never had a problem at Cyclingo. Johns always helpful whenever I go there. Always has time for a chat & some advice. Which is why I bought my bikes off him.....
Felt AR2

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8139
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm

In all my visits to Hobart I thought Ken Self bike shop was the most welcoming. Maybe that's because we are roadies.
Ray Appleby certainly lost something when the ownership changed and the focus shifted from road to MTB.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
Bob_TAS
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby Bob_TAS » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Just to clarify, when I say "Avanti bought it from Ray Appleby" I don't mean Avanti the manufacturer; it's just what we used to call the store.

I've always used Bike Ride and Moonah Bike Shop. Ken Self are quite integrated with the community but I just couldn't connect with the staff.

AndyRevill
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Margate, TAS

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby AndyRevill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 pm

RonK wrote:In all my visits to Hobart I thought Ken Self bike shop was the most welcoming. Maybe that's because we are roadies.


+100 I rarely go anywhere else (though I live here)

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

redheeler
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby redheeler » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Paul B wrote:Bummer. Was the best shop in Hobart. The staff were great too, wonder where they went.


I find Ride Bellerive great.
The guys know their stuff and are really helpful.
Currently riding my second road bike from them.
Bike 1, purchased in 2008 and ridden over 25000 kms, bike 2 in 2012 and so far done 8600 kms
Both times the bike has been fully fitted for me.
Servicing and any problems with the bikes have been attended to by the guys with no hassles.
So why not visit, Adrian and the guys at Ride Bellerive, 96 Clarence St, Bellerive. :D

Paul B
Posts: 673
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: Hobart

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16 pm

redheeler wrote:
Paul B wrote:Bummer. Was the best shop in Hobart. The staff were great too, wonder where they went.


I find Ride Bellerive great.
The guys know their stuff and are really helpful.
Currently riding my second road bike from them.
Bike 1, purchased in 2008 and ridden over 25000 kms, bike 2 in 2012 and so far done 8600 kms
Both times the bike has been fully fitted for me.
Servicing and any problems with the bikes have been attended to by the guys with no hassles.
So why not visit, Adrian and the guys at Ride Bellerive, 96 Clarence St, Bellerive. :D


Yea that is where I have been going lately.

User avatar
skull
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby skull » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:08 am

Bike ride on Liverpool street is great

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

User avatar
rangersac
Posts: 1302
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 am
Location: Snug, Tasmania

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby rangersac » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Treadlies or Bike Ride for me.
De Rosa Macro | Trek Superfly 100AL Elite | Claud Butler Sovereign | Titus Motolite

User avatar
oldbikegeoff
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:30 am

Re: Ray Appleby's Hobart

Postby oldbikegeoff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 pm

I Helped Ray Move Out Of There When They Were Closing. I Have A Appleby 2000 Sport sticker pack from there! he was a good bloke, so was Scott Bannister!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users