Does anyone here live in Launceston?

thecaptn

Does anyone here live in Launceston?

Postby thecaptn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi All,
My partenr and I visited Launceston yesterday and had a lovely day exploring by car. I noticed that there apears to be alot of cycling infrastructer such as paths, lanes and safety zones at traffic lights. I searched on the net for information about the local cycling communities and found that the local mountain bike club has a good website and is well organised with events and working bees while the Northern Vets didn't have much info. We also visited Bike Central the local Specialized dealer which seems to be a pretty good bike shop. Last sunday we drove from launceston to Longford and noticed quite a few people riding on the well maintained roads we travelled on.
Does anyone here live in Launceston? We like what we've seen so far and will be back to look at houses, how does Launceston rate in your mind as a great cycling district? I love Canberra for cycling but feel that Launceston could be even better. I'd love to hear what locals think of Launceston generaly, the good and the bad.
Thanks,
Pete

mikgit

Re: Does anyone here live in Launceston?

Postby mikgit » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty new to road biking, but I find it really good. Have found the drivers are actually really good for cyclists (but really watch for dooring, its a concept they don't seem to get and not just bikes, but cars/buses and trucks, they'll just get in/out of their car without looking).
Maybe because I don't like hills but I prefer it to Hobart, there are no real big hills and its always flat to the hill and once your up it, and if its too steep then there will be some longer less steep way up.
Also its a really nice place to live, high bogan factor, but they seem to be nice bogans (and they seem to be the most bike tolerant). I've just moved back here after many years in Hobart and some time in Brisbane.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm new to road riding too but love it and hardly ride my other bikes at all now. It's hilly where I currently live and I love riding them but we haven't got the steep streets like you have in Launceston :shock: . Climbing is where I have plenty of room for improvement.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Yeah well it's not so much that I don't like riding hills as more I can't. When I first got into mtbing i was living here and loved it, but when I moved to Hobart, work and life got in the way, and haven't done much riding for 10 years, so I'm all unfit...but I'm a whole lot fitter than I was at the start of the year.
And I must admit, while I was never against the idea of having a road bike, I never thought I would be calling myself a road rider, just figured it would be far too boring, but I am really enjoying it.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 am

I swore I'd never get a road bike or wear lycra, when I asked the bike shop guy to order me one he wouldn't do it 'cause he didn't think it was realy what I wanted. Now I'm the ful MAMIL, the target of piss taking by all which I totaly deserve.
I think anyone would find the hills in Launceston challenging.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am

Used to live in Launnie until moving south after finishing uni. Was into the MTB and dirt jumping scenes up there and have noticed a lot of road infrastructure upgrades during visits over recent years.

The central north of the state is great for road biking and am sometimes tempted to move back just for the better riding opportunities i.e. the triangle between Launnie, Deloraine and Campbelltown.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Yes Deloraine is nice, spent some time mooching about on the bike at the end of oir last tour. Great roads.

specialized sl2

Postby specialized sl2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 am

I do! A lot of hills! I find from middle of Launceston there's only really 2 ways to ride, out carrick,hagley,Westbury ect
Or out through lagana,Exeter!
We have a few angry drivers but most just find its fine to give us barely any room at at all especially metro bus's
A lot of cyclist, plenty of bunches and a group community of cyclist

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm

specialized sl2 wrote:I do! A lot of hills! I find from middle of Launceston there's only really 2 ways to ride, out carrick,hagley,Westbury ect
Or out through lagana,Exeter!
We have a few angry drivers but most just find its fine to give us barely any room at at all especially metro bus's
A lot of cyclist, plenty of bunches and a group community of cyclist
Was in Launnie on the weekend and managed to smuggle the good bike up and sneak in a couple of rides.

Went out past Evandale via Relbia and had some great fun on the rolling hills surrounded by lush pastures, though ultimately cut short by gravel toward Blessington :?

Had a good chat to a local who told me that the community is big up there nowadays, albeit a tad fragmented.

It really is a beautiful area to ride at this time of year...

rest_assured

Postby rest_assured » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 pm

I will be passing through Launceston tomorrow. Any suggestions for where to grab a souvenir? Is there a decent op-shop or dump where i might find some rusty gold?