Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

master6

Re: Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Postby master6 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Hello Redheeler. Thinking of a little "end of year" reunion for DFBTR.
A little ride, followed by a little coffee . Looking at , possibly, 9 or 15 December, with a 9am start.
How would that fit into your calendar?

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:51 pm

The end of year reunion is on track............for the front end of the year :D
Getting redheeler and andrewt onto the same work schedule proved difficult in'14.
My excuse, and I am sticking to the story! :)

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Snug, humid, and with threatened thunderstorms, what else could there be to do than the Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride. To enjoy the thrill of lightning strikes the defiant peloton of two, (Masters 6 and self) were decked out in their finest metal bikes. The ride was a straightforward cruise out to Cambridge Supercheap, if memory serves, to purchase more electrically conductive materials, to assure my wife gets the best value from the Life Insurance she purchased when I became a cyclist. Or did Jeff just want some sandpaper. Sounds unlikely, why would a cyclist go all the way out there for just that? Anyway it was a good catch up. We did discuss the DFBTR reunion.
Managed to get back with 60km on the clock, with hardly any rain, or blazing electric death from the skies. A nice warm up for the Cornelian Bay Friday Ride 0900hrs.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 pm

AndrewTTas wrote: We did discuss the DFBTR reunion.

That is the reunion we are yet to have. Hopefully we will match some work schedules, and get together for a short easy ride, with post ride chat planned for the Dodges Ferry Bakery :D

Watch this space.

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:58 pm

Author arriving a few minutes late to miss the gathered throngs for the DFBTR. AND no Wagonwheels at the Bakery, Bah! The Caramel and Date Slice was satisfying, but not enough guilt for me. It wasn't just that the roads around Dodges were devoid of road bikes, but its never been quite the same since the platinum bearded, pig-tailed, tattooed one, stopped pushing up the pace week after week. Maybe only a few months to go eh?
The 67 km solo ride meant that yet again, the DFBTR was impeccably Eco; that is, Carbon Free. Not much in the way of action/danger/abuse to report. Cool, calm and cloudy. In all a rather pleasant cruise. We need the Dictator back to extinguish such performance wasting frivolity. Never mind, there is the Cornelian Bay Friday Ride with Baz the Brutalizer to put things aright.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:22 pm

AndrewTTas wrote:Author arriving a few minutes late to miss the gathered throngs for the DFBTR.
Late by a mile I suspect. DFBTR left upmarket Carlton at 7.01am this morning, to meet plumbing inspector in Sorell at 8am.
A great day for a bike ride. Perfect pace all the way. I arrived back home in magnificent sunshine at 12.15pm.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:52 pm

AndrewTTas wrote:Maybe only a few months to go eh?
8 weeks of treatment hell left... and then hopefully a slow return to the bike. It's been a tough 40 weeks to date and my legs look like twigs. Feel like twigs too.

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:55 pm

With record numbers of riders out and about on this chilly but sunny Thursday, it could only be the backdrop for biggest bit of cycling news in Dodges for the last 12 Months; Paul B the Dictator returns. Yup, a year since he mothballed the Mighty BMC Race Machine, its on again (but with much less hair). Those that have in the past, suffered at the hands of the relentlessly improving Paul, might want to be heading down to the DFBTR, coz time is rapidly running out for payback. Or to enjoy a relaxed paced social ride ( a rapidly vanishing phenomenon amongst bunch rides theses days; yeah guys you know who I mean?)
Today's ride was an easy cruise around Dodges and Carlton. 44ks of, catch-up and bike chat. Concluding at the Bakery, with uninterrupted opinion and analysis, (and coffee and pastry). In all a great success. If the weather is favourable, see you next week.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Many thanks to Andrew T for persevering in getting me back out on the bike. Was a great day for it and just being out in the fresh air and sunshine was great.
As far as the lack of hair is concerned, lets face it, cyclists spend thousands to get this type of aero :-)
Bet you didn't know we even have a Richmond Bakery at Dodges !!!

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 am

AndrewTTas wrote: time is rapidly running out for payback..
It's good news, but..................

I witnessed the event, and thanked my lucky star that I was riding in the opposite direction at the time.

Come clean Andrew, tell the truth......................Paul was out in front, with a strava smile from ear to ear, and you were, well, pedalling...................

Time has run out I suspect :)

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Well the sun was out again to the East of Hobart. Time of the week for Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Rehab. Paul was feeling that it might take a couple of weeks before he could manage a ride to Primrose Sands, so having inadvertently nominated the destination for today off the peloton rode. With a gentle breeze and cool temperature, conditions were perfect. Did an initial raid through Lewisham, before hitting the country roads of Carlton River and Primrose Sands. No helpful advice from the local traffic, though that might have been because they were recovering from a rather robust police presence in Primrose at the road works. There were actually some fans gathered atop the Susans Bay Road pinch +, to offer encouragement (no sarcasm intended). With 50 km under our belts, and the Dictator still having a detectable pulse, we finished off at the Bakery for some well deserved nourishment, and discussion of solutions on how to save the planet so we can ride some more. Till next time...

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:10 pm

:roll: Hopefully, in the next few weeks I may be able to join you guys. Probably won't have the speed or the endurance after a 7 week lay off.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:24 pm

redheeler wrote: Hopefully, in the next few weeks I may be able to join you guys. Probably won't have the speed or the endurance after a 7 week lay off.
I'm sure you will outdo me after a one year lay off !!!

These days I take a camera crew (Andrew T) to document my exploits.

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Wow, how fast Thursday comes again. A mainly favourable forecast inspiring the excursion to Richmond, the spiritual home of cycling in Southern Tasmania. The roads were pre wet, but clothes dry and spirits high, as we proceeded through Lewi, along the Arthur Hwy, thru Sorell, Penna, and up and over Brinktop. Despite his protracted lay off, the DFBTR Dictator managed the climb well, and managed a daredevil descent into Richmond. Heading out along Colebrook Rd, the Peleton splintered as I managed to draft a tractor most of the way to the Fingerpost turnoff. The return was largely uneventful along the Tasman Hwy, a good steady cruise. Through Sorell a dude in a white ute was ably demonstrating an extreme inability to get act together, but as fortune would have it, he was almost taken out by another motorist, and had to pull over, just before we got in his proximity. Up until the Lewisham turnoff, we had managed to sidestep the bulk of the crappy weather, only riding on wet roads. Our luck finally (but briefly) ran out, getting hailed on. Dodges Ferry however welcomed our return with warm sunshine, so a rather pleasant time was had luxuriating out front of the bakery. Better still, finally, Wagonwheels in stock, woo hoo!. Sorry, driving the PMM Pro Team bus doesn't count as a ride, so none for you Jeff.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Arrived at the bakery around 9.00 am and who do I find ? Andrew T... excellent !!! Perfect weather, sunny and warm, another great day on Hobart's Eastern shore.
So off to Primrose Sands. Down through Carlton and along the river we went. Andrew, as has been the case since I got back on the road, pedalled at a pace that I could keep up with,
other than the times he felt the inclination to put the pedal down and fly up the hills. Left me languishing in the distance but slowed up till I was able to get back on his wheel.
So 50 kms and a good workout... for me, less so for Andrew I suspect. But any day on the bike in conditions like today is fantastic, and one of the great benefits of riding over to Primrose is that you hardly see a vehicle until you arrive back at Dodges.
So my Strava entry shows that I made improvements all over the course of the ride, including 2.8kmh faster average than the hitout over the same course a couple of weeks back.
Still felt like I was performing badly and it hurt, but maybe I can recoup the lost ground eventually.
A great day it was indeed !!!
Last edited by Paul B on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:30 pm

The above report was partly confirmed by my wife as I cycled out of the garage en route to the mens shed. "Paul and Andrew just went past on their way to Primrose Sands" she advised. "Good" I blurted . They inflict pain so I am glad to be going in the opposite direction. I left the mens shed at 11.30am, planning on joining the DFBTR at the bakery for post ride coffee and chat, but, while attending to a nature break at Iron Creek, I notice Andrew driving home with the bike on the roof.
Buggar, missed the best part.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Well it sucked out there today. 50kms of pain... cold and windy, but not wet at least :-) The day started with a text from Andrew advising that he would not be joining the peloton today. So I headed down to the bakery to break the news to the gathered hordes, the ones in my head that is, and they were telling me that there was no point in riding alone in such crappy conditions. Go home they said. Enjoy the warmth they said. Get lost head hordes I replied... I'm up for a bit of pain. And that is what I got... plus the satisfaction of completing 50 hard earned kms on my own.
More credit in the bank for when I return to the bunch rides.

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Nice going today Paul. When I awoke to begin prep, it was foul. Wind and rain, so I aborted. Mind you an hour later it was fining up, but I was feeling decidedly off colour so I retreated to bed. Regardless it was too late to make an appearance.
Pleased to hear the self motivation protocols have kicked in, and the neuro suffering pathways appear active.
Credit wise, you should spend it at the Cornelian Bay Friday Ride. Relatively flat (except Grasstree but there is always someone to slowly chug up the Hill with). Seriously, I think you could manage. If no, join the Gents at RBWR, or I'll see you again at Dodges.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:19 pm

I can vouch for the veracity of some of the Paul B report. I witnessed him riding down Carlton Beach rd, and promptly hid behind a bush to minimise the risk that he might suggest my joining him. My wife saw him travelling in the opposite direction a little later :D

Those fellas at RBWR had better stock up on pain killers.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:28 am

I arrived at the Bakery right on 9.00 to find Andrew T waiting, and soon after, Master 6 arrived en route to the "Mens Shed" in Sorell. Andrew however, was sitting in his car and about to leave for home !! Seems he had missed my text advising that I would not be riding today. I was also in my car and had only gone to the bakery in order to catch any riders who may have shown up.
My comeback has hit a bit of a speed hump as I seem to be adversely impacted in doing a bit too much too soon since coming off treatment. Frustrating to say the least. I might try a different strategy. Short rides and more of them.
Anyhow, as far as the ride today that didn't happen all I have to say is one word... ICE. The roads were covered in it. Not a fan personally.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:40 pm

My ride to Sorell Mens Shed was pretty cosy, in standard cool weather gear, plus knitted (by my wife) wrist warmers, Reject Shop $2 fluffy gloves under a warn out overstretched pair of PBK cycling mitts. I forgot about the home knitted beanie under the helmet. Oh yes, the non breathable rain jacket too. :D
Warm as toast.
The ride home at 11.30, minus the rain jacket, was in perfect sunny weather.

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:19 pm

My clothing for a lunchtime ride to Cambridge Park via Midway Point and return consisted of bike shorts, cycle shirt, arm warmers and vest. With canteen bandana under helmet and summer gloves. Not forgetting the ever present sunnies.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:03 pm

redheeler wrote:My clothing for a lunchtime ride to Cambridge Park via Midway Point and return consisted of bike shorts, cycle shirt, arm warmers and vest. With canteen bandana under helmet and summer gloves. Not forgetting the ever present sunnies.
ah yes, the sunnies.

You are a mobile fashion plate redheeler

AndrewTTas

Postby AndrewTTas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:04 pm

A sunny, quiet Winter's Thursday. Cue Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride. A nice short local cruise for gentle rehab and recovery? Well if it wasn't the DFBTR, well sure. But it was.
The initial plan to do the Sugarloaf loop, was amended en route to a ride to Dunalley. A longer ride than initially planned. And naturally the amended 'gentle pace' was re-amended to 'how about a few Personal Records' pace.
The leg to Dunalley was excellent. Cool, dry, minimal traffic. Apart from one scary moment when a light truck looked like he was going to pull across the road in front of us, no real dramas. The enormous WagonWheels at the Dunalley Bakery seemed a bit risky though; packed with enough calories to get us both to Southport.
The return dirt road through Connelly's Marsh was hard packed, so offered no real challenge to the roadies. An amazing short cut for the return to Dodges Ferry.
Keeping with 100% tradition, the peloton basked in glorious sunshine outside the Dodges' Bakery on return. Pretty impressive for mid winter. Still plenty of it yet, let's hope our luck holds.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Where on earth is the "Like" button here?