Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

master6

Re: Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Postby master6 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Thirteen hours to the next edition of DFBTR.

After 2 days off, I am keen to go. :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Well three turned out for today's slightly shorter edition of the DFBTR. Master 6, Andrew T and Paul B. A reasonable pace was maintained with a couple of harder efforts... nothing remarkable to report. The bakery was closed so it was back to my beach pad for coffee. Next weeks ride will be interesting after the RBWR annual ride to Orford the day before :-)

EDIT: We had one more rider than the RBWR had yesterday !!!!

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Well we made up for yesterday's short session. Today saw Master 6, Andrew T and Paul B, head out through Lewisham, Sorell, Sharkpoint, Penna, Brinktop, Fingerpost down into Richmond. Then over Brinktopp, through Penna, over the causeway at Midway Point, through Sorell, back through Lewisham and finishing at Dodges Ferry Bakery for coffee. 74 kms at a good pace.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Todays field was reduced by 33.33% due to Andrew manning up and doing the right thing to support the Tasmanian economy, not to mention his family economy. Give our regards to the working classes Andrew :D

Weather conditions at Dodges Ferry were breezy at 9am, and the decision delivered by the DictatorPaulB was "Fingerpost Rd and Richmond".

The ride became a real blast by the time we reached Sorell, a detour was required to allow workmen to right an electricity pole that was on a lean due to wind conditions, and we reconfigured the ride plans due to a severe side wind on the Tasman highway. Shark Point Rd was a safer option, so we thought, however as we left the protection of the township we found ourselves battling at 9kph on a slight downhill section. Swinging into Penna Rd (parallel to Tasman Highway) we would have patted ourselves on the back over our decision to avoid the highway, however it was not possible as the handlebars called for two hands. Electricity wires along Penna rd were blowing "full swing" over the roadway, and at that point our only interest in cycling was to get ourselves home safely. Bureau of Meteorology reports show a wind speed of 100kph at nearby Hobart Airport during the morning.

Coffee back at Dodges Ferry Bakery was excellent, as one would expect, knowing their connection to famed big brother, Richmond Bakery. :D

Home, sweet home. :)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 pm

Weather forecast looks great for tomorrows DFBTR. Got a great ride planned so hoping to see a new face or two at 9.00.00.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:57 pm

What a fantastic day we had for the DFBTR. Could the weather be any better? No, well, this is Tasmania after all, best climate in Australia. So today's event saw Scott, a RBWR regular, Master 6, Paul B and the Steamroller (AKA Red Heeler). I originally had grandiose plans for the ride, but Master 6 pointed out that it would require a team of support vehicles and visas to accomplish such a feat. So a revised route direct from Dodges Ferry to the top of Black Charlies was decided upon. Red Heeler and I took a short diversion in Sorell in search of Strava Glory, (2 seconds short of a KOM... don't ya hate that), only to find that Master 6 and Scott did not slow up for us but put the hammer dowm !!!! Not to worry, we regrouped at the top of Black Charles and kept a solid pace back to Dodges Ferry. The usual coffee was consumed and once again, all agreed that a good day was had by all. Another route to add to the virtual directory... and now, we look forward to the Richmond Bakery ride on Wednesday and it is the DFBR the following day. Hopefully, we will see a few more of the Richmond guys over our way.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Saturday, 24 degrees so what do you do ? The DFB Saturday ride of course !!! Andrew T and I set out heading for Black Charlies via Shark point. We cruised over the top and continued on to the start of the Bust Me Gall climb. At this point we turned around and made a beeline for Richmond, via Fingerpost Rd. A stop at the bakery to refuel and off again via Middle Tea Tree Rd, Right onto Tea Tree Rd and back up Fingerpost to the Hwy. Then it was down to Brinktop and once again along Sharkpoint to Sorell, through to Lewisham and on to the finish line at Dodges Ferry.
Phew... 133 Kms. Another great ride completed :-) Think I will have tomorrow off the bike !!!

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 am

[q Think I will have tomorrow off the bike !!![/quote

132 kms and Gran Fondo 1, under my belt on Saturday. Out again Sunday for a short 65.6 kms and again today with 60.2 kms.
The weather is too perfect not to get out and enjoy the bike. :D :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:46 pm

redheeler wrote: The weather is too perfect not to get out and enjoy the bike. :D :D
Yep, and after the recent difficult weather conditions... mainly wind... it is great to have some great cycling facilitating weather :D
Last edited by Paul B on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm

So what do you get when you cross the DFBTR and the RBWR ? Who knows ??? But what we do know is that there was a number of representatives from the Richmond ride and myself from the Dodges ride present at the Taroona Bakery Monday ride :-) Come along they said... it's an easy ride they said... So I came along, but I did not sign up for hill climb hell !!!! However, there were hills and climb them we did, the descents made it worth the effort. Kudos to Clive Roper and the regular Taroona crew, a solid bunch of riders.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Looking for an easier pace ride on Thursday... then look no further than the DFBTR. 50-60 ks at a comfortable pace. The perfect recovery ride after a challenging hitout at the RBWR :-)

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Paul B wrote:Come along they said... it's an easy ride they said... So I came along, but I did not sign up for hill climb hell !!!! However, there were hills and climb them we did, the descents made it worth the effort.
Sounds like someone getting himself ready for the Wellington Challenge, nudge nudge wink wink.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Perfect conditions met the assembled riders (Master 6, Andrew T, Paul B) at the Bakery for today's ride. For some reason the bikes must have thought it was Wednesday, because where did we end up ??? cruising past the Richmond bakery of course :-) No time to stop though, with thoughts of Brinktop looming large, it was straight through and over the top... It was a victory for the dictator going over Brinktop whilst the honors for the other various segments were shared evenly. Everyone had a turn on the front, and after yesterday's challenging Richmond ride, all were in unanimous agreement that today's effort was pretty well done. Next week might see a change of scenery and a a course through Primrose.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Another fantastic ride with the RBWR bunch yesterday was followed up today with the regular DFBTR... well for Jeff and myself anyway. Andrew T was at work as was Scott, so a couple of the Richmond stalwarts that frequent the Dodges ride were noticeably absent :-(
Red Heeler made it along though... and that changed the dynamic. I think she should change her name to Red Strava, since she seems to know the start and finish point of every Strava segment in the area... and aims for a PR every time out. So after yesterday at Richmond, I was looking for an easy ride, however, keeping up with Red Strava (AKA "The Steamroller") rendered that option unavailable on the selection screen. So Master 6 and I hung on to her wheel while at times I yelled abuse... err... encouragement to spur her on. Seemed to work as she recorded a few PR's. Having said that, there was a small matter of a KOM reclaiming which I had in the back of my mind, and, set about successfully rectifying that little anomaly.
The course was very easy today in as much as there were very few hills. And, it was a welcome relief from the hell for leather tempo which signifies the Richmond ride. From Dodges we passed through Sorell, onto Cambridge and Seven Mile Beach and around the TT course at the back of the airport. Coffee was enjoyed at the Dodges Ferry Bakery :-) Great work today by Red Strava and Master 6... and, we do it all again next week !!!

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride headed out of town along the river road this morning, past the historic Carlton River Post Office, over the Carlton River bridge, and circumnavigated Primrose Sands, before climbing the lower reaches of Sugarloaf. Carlton and Dodges Ferry were taken in again enroute to Forcett. Performance of the day was won hands down with a break away ride by Redheeler on the way to Forcett. The remaining seven riders had to resort to team work, led by none other than the vastly improved PaulB, with Jack Gordon and Bill Brown bludging in the guards van.
Lewishan Scenic Drive was, well, as usual, scenic, and predictably the scene of a visious strava assault by Dictator PB.
The group of seven , as would be expected, regrouped for arrival at Dodges Ferry Bakery, with 58 km on the clock.

Todays field of seven was a record for DFTBR, and several enquiries suggest that next Thursday could see a field of ten or more.

An enjoyable chat over coffee produced the usual debates, observations, and B.S.

We thrive on the B.S.
PaulB has been muted this week :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Three riders turned up on a day perfect for riding... no Master 6 however, he has been banished to the north of the state for a couple of weeks and will be making surprise appearances and signing autographs in the vicinity of Sheffield.
So off we set, Andrew T, Red Heeler (AKA Red Strava), and yours truly. The early pace was set by the Steamroller (AKA Red Heeler), Andrew and I sat back while she strutted her stuff and a sensible pace was maintained through to Sorell. Around Penna to Midway point and over the causeway where we all set some pretty solid Strava times. Cambridge through to Tunnel Hill where we paused and considered the options... I was keen for Grasstree but Andrew suggested Mt Romney... so up we went. Yesterday apparently, Andrew had indulged in a fish consumption frenzy worthy of the courts of King Henry VIII, and was faced with the choice of fat accumulation or bicycle torture... clearly bike torture was the choice and his penance was witnessed by his innocent companions.

With Romney conquered it was back through Cambridge through to Seven Mile Beach, around the TT circuit back to Midway Point and down through Penna. Keen for some more ks, Andrew T and Paul B continued on to Brinktop around to Sorell and back to Dodges Ferry Bakery for a well earned coffee. Red Heeler had decided against the last segment and headed back early... unfortunately someone forgot to advise her to meet us back at the bakery... so me and T shared the coffee and recollection of our incredible exploits :-) And who should make a guest appearance ???? Master 6 !!! Obviously had heard about the ride and came to congratulate the all conquering heroes :-)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:33 pm

So Brian Palmer, RBWR and Taroona ride regular made the effort to come out on the DFBTR today... and just as well, since the only regular on deck was me :-)
Those famous words, "we will just take it easy today" were uttered, and as usual, turned out to be complete nonsense as a solid pace was set and maintained on the return run to Primrose and Lewisham.

Over the usual great coffee, Brian and I conversed around the usual bicycle related topics while we both agreed that today's ride had been a nice solid hit out after yesterdays RACE at Richmond. Hopefully Brian will be back for another run soon.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Hmmm... I was the only one to show up today. So I decided to have a very short interval session... and I might go out for another short but not so sharp spin a little later.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Paul B wrote:.. I was the only one to show up today.
Time to increase your appearance money offer to redheeler :?:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 pm

Master Six made a welcome return to the peloton today and so a total of 4 riders set out to do battle with the never ending headwind that accompanied us on today's ride. Yep, though the ride took us in all four directions, there was always a headwind... not strong, but persistent. So it was an easy pace today, neither Andrew T or myself felt like pushing hard after the "RACE" at Richmond yesterday and an easy pace was maintained all the way... most unusual. The course took us through Lewisham and Sorell and out to Fingerpost (where Red Heeler left for work commitments) down into Richmond. Andrew T gazed longingly at the bakery as we passed through Richmond but had to satisfy himself with a Clif bar on the move instead. So we pushed through to Cambridge, over the causeways to Sorell and back over the new Iron Creek bridge... And what a difference the new bridge makes. It has changed from suicidal narrow to wide berth luxury... and... the climb in both directions has been significantly reduced. More-so on the way into Sorell... definitely has made a most welcome difference.

Back at Dodges Ferry the usual coffee was consumed, discussions held etc. Looking forward to next week and hopefully a few of our non-regular riders to make an appearance !

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Can't help that work makes these training sessions for a Thursday, which prevents me from riding the full distance with you, Master6 and Andrew T. They're compulsory but best of all their also paid sessions. Hopefully next week.
Couldn't agree more the new Iron Creek bridge is luxury to ride on, it will be even better when all the loose gravel has gone and it has lanes marked. What's the go on the "time to increase my appearance money offer"?

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:10 pm

redheeler wrote: What's the go on the "time to increase my appearance money offer"?
Oh! :oops: :oops:
I have let the cat out of the bag redheeler.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Our Dictator has a budget to entice participation.
Stake your claim with PaulB for appearance money. :D :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Unfortunately the budget allocation has now been committed to the RBWR post ride lunch with PMM man and the boys. My lunch that is :-)

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:04 pm

May I have leave tomorrow please? I will be riding to a meeting in Sorell around midday.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Righto... hopefully Barry Hodges will fill the gap tomorrow and hopefully we will see you back in action soon !!!