Tasmanian Trail Ride - 30Nov-5Dec 2014

Stredda

Re: Tasmanian Trail Ride - 30Nov-5Dec 2014

Postby Stredda » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:45 pm

tcdev wrote:Of course it's something I wouldn't tackle alone, and would certainly welcome the opportunity to ride with others in some sort of semi-organised effort. I originally thought you organised this ride every February but after re-reading your post you mention you last did it in 2004, so I'm guessing you won't be organising it again anytime soon. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for anyone looking to get a bunch together next year and come next May I'll evaluate the feasibility of being able to do it this time next year. I'm also assuming that late November is the 'best' time, weather-wise, to do this ride? It looks pretty wet as-is so I'm assuming it only gets wetter as the summer advances?
Weather wise you would get drier weather after December but also hotter and there is still no guarantee of not getting wet. Spring and early Summer is always very changeable but apart from the heavy rain for half an hour on the second day we only really got the odd bit of misty nuisance showers and the lack of sun made the riding quite comfortable especially when you hit the hills. Nothing like Sydney has just got. ;)
tcdev wrote:At the very least, next time I need motivation to get onto the bike or push it just that little bit harder, I'll think of the trail and tell myself that the harder I work now, the easier the trail will be! :mrgreen: I'll also have 12 months to work on getting a couple of mates to come along; time to go and sow the seeds now...
I've really only been riding seriously for the last 12 months, I do have quite a few year of dirt bike riding background but have spent this year increasing my fitness. My next challenge is the Cranky Penguin MTB race on the first of February http://www.thecrankypenguin.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 pm

tcdev wrote:This ride really has whet my appetite; ever since acquiring my MTB I've been looking at MTB videos like the 9-day Peru downhill and the NT Croc Trophy and thinking how much fun it would be to partake in one, though those two examples are obviously quite hardcore... I think the Tassie Trail might just be within my reach (budget and experience) with another 12 months training under my belt! Now to convince my wife to give me a week off to do it... :wink:

Of course it's something I wouldn't tackle alone, and would certainly welcome the opportunity to ride with others in some sort of semi-organised effort.
The Tasmanian Trail certainly is inspiring, but there are other opportunities to "earn your wheels" so to speak, before you tackle it. You could start the Munda Biddi Trail in WA, or perhaps the Mawson Trail in SA. Both can be ridden solo.
Closer to home ride the Barry Way across the Snowies. Just search this forum and you'll find plenty of discussion.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for the links! They all look like great fun! I've just been watching videos of the Kona Dirty Weekend... ;)
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1