Bicycle Network Peaks Challenge Cradle Mountain

markpa

Bicycle Network Peaks Challenge Cradle Mountain

Postby markpa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:56 pm

BN have just announced https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/peaks ... -mountain/.

235km, 4000m+ remarkably similar to Falls Creek and Gold Coast events.

Sunday 1 November

That should help motivate the daily ride.

LG

Re: Bicycle Network Peaks Challenge Cradle Mountain

Postby LG » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Feeling fit Mark? Would require some mega training on my part.
LG = Low Gear

joomz

Postby joomz » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 am

Looks excellent. Do you think it will compete with http://cycleisle.com.au ? The latter is on the 28th of November, covers similar territory, and registration is quite a bit cheaper ($300 vs $175). The more the merrier, hope they can both attract enough participants to be viable into the future.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am

Tough ride, although the vast majority of the climbing is in the first half which helps.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Jimini

Postby Jimini » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Not quite as epic as the Peaks Challenge, at 126km and 2500+ metres but an amazing ride is: https://www.nicscradlechallenge.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; taking place on Feb 28, 2016.

It's only $50 entry, with full rider support and insurance. All proceeds go to the Leukemia Foundation. From Sheffield to Dove Lake at Cradle Mountain (return). Amazing scenery - please check it out, I'm on the organising committee - Nic is my brother, you can see his story on the website. Please let me know if you have any questions.

gman2

Postby gman2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Nobody else did the Challenge? Was a rough first half with plenty of rain and fog.. Saw a couple of crashes early on as people made a few mistakes on the descents.

A very tough course, with not much let-up after the first 30km with what seemed like continuous climbing most of the day. Most I've spoken too that have done the other Peaks Challenges say this was the hardest course at least. I've only done the Peaks Gold Coast so far, but that seemed "easy" compared to this.

Was in with the 10hr pacer up until shortly before lunch, but cramp and fatigue set in so had to drop back. In the ended up with 11hrs flat; which was a bit bummed about at the time. However when I look at all the results that put me actually ahead of 1/2 the field so given the weather (and I hate the cold!) I probably did ok. A couple of days later I'm feeling pretty strong, so I'm going to have to keep up the long rides to keep the momentum up.

496 riders completed the race out of 704 entries, 148 DNS and 60 DNF.

I'm from BNE so its a bit of a bitch/$$ to get to, but would like to do it again next year, hopefully with a bit better weather!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:04 am

gman2 wrote:
496 riders completed the race out of 704 entries, 148 DNS and 60 DNF.

I'm from BNE so its a bit of a bitch/$$ to get to, but would like to do it again next year, hopefully with a bit better weather!
Wow, over 20% of the entries didn't even start? That seems pretty high.

It looks interesting like an interesting ride. I was considering the 3 Peaks but I am at the TDU that week. Will have to look at some options for 2016/2017. I just did the Fitz Epic and was 6th rider home, so I'm up for a good challenge.
I am going to an information night tomorrow for the Haute Route, with a view to attempting one or more of the Haute Route events in 2017/2018.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:06 pm

A friend who has completed all three Peaks Challenges said that Cradle Mountain was the hardest. There was an over 10% DNF rate. His ranking for toughness is Cradle Mountain, Falls Creek, Fitzs (210), then Gold Coast.