Are there any members of The Northern Vets on BNA?

thecaptn

Are there any members of The Northern Vets on BNA?

Postby thecaptn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:39 am

Hi All,

are there any members of The Northern Vets Cycle Racing Club on BNA?

Wifey and I are moving to the Launceston region in the next twelve months and I'm planning to join the club. I've looked through photos on the club website, the members look like a nice bunch of people and the events fun.

My current group ride is a very relaxed Audax ride which I enjoy weekly. The route is never the same twice, the company and scenery always pleasant, lunch and coffee being a major draw card. I'd like to have easy access to group rides once we've moved and would appreciate some advice on good locales for riding.

This is the second thread I've started in a similar vein but due to us being much closer to moving and are in fact physically inspecting houses I thought I'd see if I could solicit any last minute local knowledge which could assist us in our decision making process. The places we either like or are investigating are Deloraine, Scottsdale, Bridport, Longford and Launceston inner city, is there any particular area which stands out for it's vibrant cycling culture?

Many thanks,
Pete

Grog

Re: Are there any members of The Northern Vets on BNA?

Postby Grog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi Pete,
I'm not a member of any clubs as that aspect is not my interest - I tend to just ride on my own when time permits.
The predominant group rides I see seem to focus to the west of L'ton -around Carrick, Westbury, Evandale, Cressy, Deloraine, Westwood areas. Be advised, that's only what I've seen which is admittedly limited knowledge.
The area is mostly flattish farm region (sheep, cattle, some crops) with some rolling hills. You can make up for lack of hills with the wind when it picks up. :-) But there are some good hills around, such as Poatina or up behind Deloraine etc.
To the east of L'ton I know of some guys who do the L'ton - Lilydale - Scottsdale - Nunumurra - L'ton loop regularly.

Best people to give you the run down are the clubs. But you could also ask the bike shops in Lonny as I know some of these guys are into group rides / vets racing etc. PM me if you want specific contact details of the shops I know.

Cheers, Greg

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks Greg,

Mrs and I will be over there soon for two weeks so I'll pop into any bike shops we see. I know of the one in Lonny which sells Specialized bikes and will likely drop in there for a looky. I'll be bringing my bike and riding most days which will give me an indication of road/traffic conditions and cyclist numbers.

I've never been interested in racing clubs either but I want to make new friends once we've moved and joining a club seems like a way to go. Racing here in Gippsland is taken quite seriously and to be honest the club scene is a bit over the top, it's more wana be pro than enthusiastic amature whereas the scene in Tassie looks pretty relaxed and more like social activity.

Cheers,
Pete

skull

Postby skull » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 am

fixed legs or whatever his handle might be is (or was), however he lives in Hobbizle.

Releng

Postby Releng » Fri May 01, 2015 4:01 pm

I was a member and raced with them for a couple of years until I moved back to Hobart 2 years ago.
A fantastic club, keen, friendly, helpful, safety focussed, well organised. I could go on and on.
Northern Tassie, around Lonnie is cycling heaven. Great roads, ok drivers. Where else in the world could you get passed by a bunch of international pros out for a training ride with a friendly invite to tack on the back of the bunch as they go past.
There are plenty of groups in and around Lonnie, the most popular route is the fish shop ride along the West Tamar Hwy/ Rosevears Drive out and back to Exeter. One bunch leaves from town every Saturday morning, another does it Tuesday nights I think. There are the Coffee Crawlers, Dads Army and organised rides from most of the bike shops.
Cycling in Hobart is a bit less inclusive. Ok but not as good as Launceston.

Hope the move goes well.
Mick

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks Mick,

I was wondering if the West Tamar Hwy was ok for riding on, we're staying in Beauty Point and traveling to Lonnie tomorrow, I was planning to head back early on the bike and meeting the Mrs in the city. I'd rather take back roads if I could but it complicates the journey when your not familiar with the roads.

Pete

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 pm

I came across the Batman bridge (horrible road that) then followed the river bank through Deviot, rejoining the highway near Exeter the rest of the way into the city.
It's a bit more up and down than I expected but not unpleasant.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 06, 2015 8:53 pm

We drove part of that road today and it was quite nice. I think I'll try Holwell rd to Frankford rd to Birralee Rd to Selbourne Rd to Hagley and then the Meander Valley Hwy to Lonnie. Should be quieter hopefully.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 am

Good bunch of blokes between 50-80 riders per race. Racing is competitive. Their races vary in length. . The people at the Northern Vets are friendly, after the race on occasion there are coffee etc. There is the Church Ride during the weekdays, 6am form the Church around 50ks and always finishes with multiple coffees. Varying abilities and ages.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Good bunch of blokes between 50-80 riders per race. Racing is competitive. Their races vary in length. . The people at the Northern Vets are friendly, after the race on occasion there are coffee etc. There is the Church Ride during the weekdays, 6am form the Church around 50ks and always finishes with multiple coffees. Varying abilities and ages.
I assume The Church Ride is also The Fish Shop Ride?

I enjoyed a nice ride out of Sheffield today, out via Spring St to the cafe at Round Hill and back via Staverton. Magnificent views of Mt Roland, good roads and considerate traffic. Really nice.