Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

singlespeedscott

Re: Apollophiles - The Apollo Appreciation Thread

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm

That’s the one I thought we where discussing. I see no reason not to think it’s a V. Other than the colour it’s nearly identical my old dark grey V.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Yeah, the V went through a few incarnations, different tubing and suppliers probably. It's a shame this one is seemingly a bit far gone for a quick refurb and rebuild.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 pm

ChrisCrash wrote: ---- Update - the downtube shifters don't actually fit the frame. They were loose on the frame when I picked it up and I just thought they needed to be tightened up. Wrong.
They are probably just missing some of the washers or insert parts.
THE REALLY BAD... I thought I was buying a quad butted high zoot frame. I didn't think the V came in various flavors of tubing and the seller didnt' specify and I didn't ask, I just Ass-U-Med. So what I got is a "Magny Double Butted" frame, probably not terrible.
How do you know that the tubing is double butted. Does it have some tubing decals? If so then what does it say.

ChrisCrash

Postby ChrisCrash » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 pm

what I found out by wasting a lot of time is that the shifter bosses are what's called type A (just like me) Apparently something that only lasted a short while when Shimano and Campag were battling to set the standard for shifter bosses. Campag won that one. So the frame takes a type A shifter which has a 4.5mm fastening screw vs the now common 5mm. So what I need is a Shimano 600 shifter SL-6208-FAI if I want to get it back to factory standard. (anyone?) I not really fussed so any type A shifter will do.

Someone else suggested slapping some parts on and selling it at a loss. Yeah, no. I've scrounged a set of wheels and 7 speed cassette, the brakes are straightened out, I went over the frame and cleaned it up, so lots of "patina". All bearings cleaned and regreased. All I need is the downtube shifters and I'm good to go. I've got the left side shifter operating the RD. Hack but it works.

I could use a shimano 600 RD, but I've got an Exage 300 doing the job for now. For a rider its going to be OK. Not a museum piece and IMHO not worth doing a full paint and decal type resto. It ain't a Colnago and never will be.

The upside is it's got some great original Shimano 600 parts - crankset, headset, calipers and brake levers.

I'll put up a pic when I get to the magic number of postings.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm

I think I pointed out the issue with the shifters a while back.

I'd take it over a Colnago anytime.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm with ssscott, would also take a high-end Apollo of that era over a Colnago
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Retro Roadies on FB posted about Colnago's recently, something about 'Master X-Lights so hot all the time and still a huge seller'. I so want to ask "why?" and start that debate...

ChrisCrash

Postby ChrisCrash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 am

Colnago vs. Apollo? mmmm, Apollos mostly an Aussie thing? I don't see them for sale in other countries. Colnago possibly recognized as the best steel frame builder in the world? Right or wrong, that's the reason I would not go through a full respray and effort to get decals and all the correct parts on the Apollo V. I'd never recover the cost and for me I don't think its going to be a long time keeper. Maybe a few rides will change my mind if I'm blown away, we'll see.
But like I mentioned before, I've got an 86 Raleigh Grand Prix (531 steel) in much better condition with all the correct 105 parts and the original seat. And it's Purple and Green!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:22 am

ChrisCrash wrote:Colnago possibly recognized as the best steel frame builder in the world? Right or wrong...
I'm gonna go with 'wrong' 8)

But yes, the value of a bike is really what it's worth to the owner. Have you taken a look at the vintage BMX market lately? 30/40-something blokes with more money than small nations re/building that NOS/original/mint BMX they couldn't afford as a kid because of the mystique. This is a bit the same.

Jim

ChrisCrash

Postby ChrisCrash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 am

yes, should have added the caveat that an Apollo with the Ishiwata quad butted 019 or 022 tubing would be a contender to compete with the best from Italy. Sadly mine is double butted Kuwahara apparently. But still fairly light for steel
On value I guess its your perspective. For someone chasing the dream, yeah price might not be an issue. I'm doing restos as a bit of a hobby and source of beer money so for me it has to make cents (pun intended).

uart

Postby uart » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:01 pm

ChrisCrash wrote:yes, should have added the caveat that an Apollo with the Ishiwata quad butted 019 or 022 tubing would be a contender to compete with the best from Italy. Sadly mine is double butted Kuwahara apparently. But still fairly light for steel
It could be Tange (Champion) No. 2, which is still a very respectable tubing. I believe that was one of the tubings used on the IV.

BTW Chris, are you going to post any pictures?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 pm

My Kuwahara built V was Tange 2 A’s too is my Apollo IV. Tange 2 is easily the equivalent of Columbus SL.

Looking at the construction I would also say the quality of the brazing is better than the Colnagos I’ve seen of the same era.

ChrisCrash

Postby ChrisCrash » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Re tubing - mine has a sticker that says "Magny double butted Guaranteed (something scratched off) by Kuwahara". The sticker is pretty mangled so its a bit tough to make it out 100%. There's a small decal at the very bottom of the seat tube that says "Kuwahara Oaska, Japan" The fork is stamped Tange 2.

I went down to my local bike recycler to try to find some A Type downtube shifters. No luck there but I got a pretty good Ultegra 6700 (10 speed) rear derailleur for $20 so who knows how this thing will end up. I could make cable stops fit with a little work. And I've got a VGC Shimano 600 Tricolor groupet with brifters, but the rear tire does not clear the brakes. Nothing easy about this bike unfortunately.
Seems the easiest route is to keep it close to stock, but even that's turning into a PITA. I also found the frame is a bit out of alignment. When I got it the rear spacing was 130. My guess is it would have been 126 from the factory and whoever set it to 130 may not have done it correctly. But no biggie I can get the frame and fork realigned using the proper tools.

I'll post some pics when I hit 10 posts. Can't post yet.

ChrisCrash

Postby ChrisCrash » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi. I put the Apollo V on gumtree. Just look up 'Apollo V' in Sandringham vic. Lots of pictures there. Something else has caught my wondering eye, so we'll see what happens.

fabricastronaut

Postby fabricastronaut » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Apollo II

Picked this up off the road yesterday, pulled it to bits today and cleaned then rebuilt the crank bearings and headset bearings.

52T and 42T on the crankset, toying with the idea of eventually doing a two speed for liftoff on straight and flat roads on the way to work. Trying to do a $100 singlespeed with this frame - whilst keeping everything era appropriate. Let me know if you have any junk box parts around Northcote, Vic!

Cheers, my first post on this forum but have spent many hours reading so far.

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Super clean Apollo alternative, around 1987 I think, you could almost eat your dinner off this one

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 pm

hitchhiker wrote:Super clean Apollo alternative, around 1987 I think, you could almost eat your dinner off this one
Nice looking bike. :)

But what the heck is an "Apollo Alternative". I don't recall them ever making a model by that name?

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 pm

uart wrote:
hitchhiker wrote:Super clean Apollo alternative, around 1987 I think, you could almost eat your dinner off this one
Nice looking bike. :)

But what the heck is an "Apollo Alternative". I don't recall them ever making a model by that name?
One of the rarest of all Apollos!

I’m still trying to piece together the timeline but it seems to be Apollos top offering in Australia around 1987/88, probably around the time Apollo was disappearing as a key player in the local bike market.

I think they sold very few of these. This is Shimano 600 all round and in lovely condition

hitchhiker

Postby hitchhiker » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 pm

What’s it made of? I hear you ask

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Such a nice find. Guess it was a 1983 replacement for the VI or V.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 am

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:43 am

For the long of shank in Adelaide

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:20 pm

find_bruce wrote:
For the long of shank in Adelaide
Not to large, looks like a 59cm frame. I'd be all over that if it was in Brisbane.

ChrisBo

Postby ChrisBo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Hi there. I just bought this lovely dark green Aspen mountain bike. Simple frame no suspension. Shimano gears and breaks. Was wondering if anybody knew the years this was sold. Thanks.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:04 am

ChrisBo wrote:Hi there. I just bought this lovely dark green Aspen mountain bike. Simple frame no suspension. Shimano gears and breaks. Was wondering if anybody knew the years this was sold. Thanks.

Hi Chrisbo, it'd be great if you were able to put up pics. Lots of detailed pics. More likely to generate some interest and get a few replies.