Dem old brakes you see on British movies

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Dem old brakes you see on British movies

Postby europa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:30 pm

For years, I've watched British movies where the old bikes have brakes that appear to be a rod bent to the shape of the bars. How on earth do they work?

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:47 pm

I recall once having a bike with them, but I don't recall how the the movement was translated
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:33 am

Can't say I could explain them to you but I have seen them on old Raleigh's. I am sure good old 'Sheldon Brown' would have info on Rod Brakes.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Vague memories, didn't they just force a solid rubber block down onto the solid rubber tyre?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:57 pm

They pull upwards onto the inside of the rim, each side of the spokes.

I think the metal rod going along the handlebars rotatated to put the brakes upwards. Can't remember how the brake leave action was converted into a rotation.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Yeah, now that you mention it...Think the lever was just the connecting rod bent at an angle?

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm

THe bent leaver goes under the handle bars and pulls up.

It is an extension of the front brake grip so they are one and the same lever (if i'm thinking about the same thing)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Methinks I'm going to have to buy a bike with them.

KAREN. I need you. Haven't got something in your supply have you?

I love the way old movies show people wandering along on their bikes. Sure, the reality was that they were so low geared you couldn't get out of the way of a loud sneeze and that after thirty seconds you were soaked with sweat under all that tweed, but by cripes it looks cool, far more so than lycra, drop bars and legs going like blazes :D

Anyone read Nancy Wake's story? And her monumental bike ride through France to contact other groups? Man was she tough. Still is actually, when you see her interviewed :wink:

Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I did have a bike like that and gave it to an old guy I know not long ago. They are still around. When I come across the next one I will let you know. I do know of one up in Queensland that a guy has but he is selling it so it would cost a bit no doubt. Must try and fish out the pics I have of of it.

Karen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:36 pm

They work by pivots with the brake calipers mounted on a centre pull U-strut, and the actual brake track on the inner surface of the rim. The whole front brake system moves in front of the head tube along with the handle bar and fork/wheel, maintaining a fixed relationship. There's no issue with cable stretch at all. :)

I can't quite remember the details of the rear brake system setup but know the calipers were positioned at the chain stay level, just behind the BB.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Seele

Postby Seele » Fri May 25, 2007 12:13 pm

I checked the Phoenix site and they are still making English-style roadsters with rod brakes, and they also make the meanest-looking road bike - and a lot of whacky bikes too.

P.S. Forgot to add: these brakes only work with Westwood rims.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri May 25, 2007 12:28 pm

The Indian cycle co. Avon still use this type of brake for the vast majority of their bikes. A few of the high end ones have single pivot callipers.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Holy thread resurrection batman !

While in Melb last week I saw an Avon in St Kilda, not knowing what it was, I www-ed and then looked here for any threads !

I took a few iPhone snaps, and seeing this thread is about the very thing I found interesting on the bike, here it is..

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:43 pm

My wifes Gazelle bike has these brake however they are not rim brakes but internal hub brakes, ie. drum brakes inside the hub. (both front and back).

I ride the bike occasionally, very powerful and have a nice feel.

Want to know how it works... take a look

Google Keywords: "bayliss wiley" +drum
Cycling is in my BNA

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:17 am

Sturmey Archer produced a drum brake for both front & rear wheels & these were known as model BF & BR if operated by rod linkage, & model BFC & BRC if cable operated.

They also produced a 3 speed hub gear with the drum brake, like the one in the illustration, known as model AB if rod linkage operated & ABC if cable operated. [A= 3 speed & when combined with a drum brake was available in wide ratio only, so the letter 'W' for 'wide ratio' was not required]
These units were only ever marked with the code AB.

Rod linkage brakes that pulled the brake blocks up into the Westwood style rims are still produced in some parts of the world & have been in use for the better part of a century.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Kid_carbine, fantastic, that is the name I was looking for.

That would be the ones on the Gazelle.
Cycling is in my BNA

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 am

gsxrboy wrote:Holy thread resurrection batman !

While in Melb last week I saw an Avon in St Kilda, not knowing what it was, I www-ed and then looked here for any threads !

I took a few iPhone snaps, and seeing this thread is about the very thing I found interesting on the bike, here it is..

Are they 28" wheels?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:32 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Are they 28" wheels?
General Specpotatoes-

Frame: 55cm (22"), 60cm (24"), Dip brazed.
Wheels: 40-635 (28 X 1 1/2). <------------------ Why yes, yes they are!
Handle: PH/T handle with grips.
Saddle: Scooter type PVC top.
Brakes: Side pull roller brakes.
Chain Cover: 1/4 Chain Cover

Hally

Postby Hally » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:51 pm

terrible brakes. really really bad. front brake has so much potential to go wrong.

i had one 30 years ago. stopped trying to make the front brake work after a while. there are inherent weaknesses in the design...mine was a very cheap bike, so probably the specific engineering was at fault but it did show up the weaknesses in the concept...its all about the way that front brake shoe retains stability in relation to the wheel and the fork...if those brackets you see on the fork of the avon, which hold the bottom of the caliper, come loose or weaken and bend...or if the short rods which slide through the brackets bend or weaken...thanks fer comin'!

i remember it used to spit out the brake blocks too...that may have been about the metal used in the mounting lugs...basically everything has to be aligned evenly to resist the force of the wheel pulling it into the fork...if it gets a little out of line it will twist with painful results...

yep, cable stretch is not an issue...but there are several more diseases suffered by this system which are all at least as bad. cable stretch is easily fixed by comparison to all the things which can go wrong with these brakes

bridgethegap71

Humber with REAL rod brakes . . .

Postby bridgethegap71 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:05 pm

I had a bike with these brakes - A Humber "The Aristrocrat of all Bicycles"
Weren't repro's like the Avons & Gazelle's - they were the real thing.

I'm not worthy to post pics yet apparently so I just want to say that when I rode this bike, the stopping power of the brakes was incredible - much better than you would think. We did pull the bike down completely and also rebuilt the brakes, which were fiddly, but hell did they STOP! The chrome quality was superior to anything we see today too, just a thicker, softer look and this bike would have been very old. I've seen the chrome repro rod brakes on the Dutch Indian repro's deteriorate after only a few years - sad.

Hally

Postby Hally » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 am

well..my bike was a piece of junk, so i suppose its unfair to nail the concept on the strength of that experience...like writing off the cable operated sidepull brake based on the performance of the brake on this 'oz cycles' steel-rimmed boat anchor i rode to work this morning...

(oh and of course the wheel pulls the caliper away from the fork :oops: .)..but it was still a disaster...

but yeah, its down to quality of materials and engineering i guess...

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Bridgethegap71,

I think you will find that Royal Dutch Gazelle is not a "repro" brand. They are the oldest surviving Dutch brand on the market... started 116 years ago.

Cheers,

Paul.

:D

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:03 am

I think Pigeon bikes have been around for that amount of time too.

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply. Hadn't heard of Pigeon bikes before...learnt something today!

According to Wiki, Pigeon have been around since 1950.

"Origins

Flying Pigeon bicycles have a long history. In 1936, a Japanese businessman built a factory in Tianjin which was named “Changho Works” and started to make “Anchor” bicycles. The brand name was changed to “Victory”, and then renamed to “Zhongzi”. After the Communists led by Mao Zedong came to power in 1949, the bicycle industry was revived. In April 1949, Chairman Mao's heir apparent, vice president Liu Shaoqi paid a visit to the factory and commanded that it become the first bicycle manufacturer in New China. Their workers were aimed to build a generation of strong, durable, light and beautiful bicycle for New China. On July 5th, 1950, the first Flying Pigeon bicycle was produced. It was the brainchild of a worker named Huo Baoji. He based his classic model on the 1932 English Raleigh roadster. The name chosen to represent the most prominent bicycle trademark was an expression for peace amidst the raging war in Korea. The logo is a stylised bird which represents concord and harmony, resting on the initials FP."
Last edited by pvb123 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

bridgethegap71

Postby bridgethegap71 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 am

Really - so you're bringing Gazelle into Australia and you had never heard of Flying Pigeon, interesting, as they have a very similar bike to yours.