Garage "Sale"

mpa61

Garage "Sale"

Postby mpa61 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:10 am

I have 15 bikes in my shed in various states of puttingtogetherness and as you can imagine (some are currently experiencing this I am sure) I am running out of room. So it's time to offload some of the frames and maybe help fund Project Abeni and Project Beasley at the same time.

I have 5 frames to re-home. All are steel (none have decals to determine what type) and all take 27" wheels. I could have cleaned them up on eBay, but to be honest I couldn't be stuffed putting up with the fees, collecting the $$, PayPal, etc, etc.

So I figured that if I was to offer them here, at least they might get well looked after. I also know that this should be in the Market Place, but I figured this is probably the more appropriate forum.

It should be pointed out that even though this is not a sale, but any donations you wish to make will be accepted. Also, I would prefer it if everything was a pickup from my place in Werribee (that's a wetsern suburb of Melbourne for those who don't know). I can also drop off not too far off the beaten track between home and work at Tulla and as a last resort, postage can be arranged (although my packaging resources are low) at your expense.

Firstly...this is something I picked up off eBay just for the wheels. The wheels are good, but the frame needs more work than I am willing to put in and is surplus to my requiremnets. There are a couple of dents on the top tube and the BB needs the right tools to remove. It has no markings, but there are 2 holes on the head tube for a badge. The dimensions are:
Seat tube - 53
Top tube - 54
Down tube - 60

Image Image Image
This one is FREE. All donations will be graciously turned down.

Next...it's a Malvern Star. It has all steel components and I have kept the wheels as spares. The interesting thing about this (which I have never seen 'til now) is that the front levers and body of the suicde brakes are steel. The dimensions are:
Seat tube - 53
Top tube - 52
Down tube - 60

Image Image

Next...this one is by an unknown author. The only markings are what appears to be 2 serial numbers, one on each dropout. All I can say about this one is that it is blue. The dimensions are:
Seat tube - 59
Top tube - 60
Down tube - 62

Image ImageImage

Next...aah, the Barkly Star. I was almost tempted to keep this one. From what I have discovered from Google is that it was made or imported by Barkly Cycles in Foot-as-cray. The shop has since closed and now operates as Teds. Not sure on the vintage, but the tyre tubes had Dunlop type valves. It has a bit of rust...nothing terminal, and the chrome is unrecoverable. It also has no brazeons. I will even throw in the wheels if someone takes it. This one will make a great single IMO. The dimensions are:
Seat tube - 54
Top tube - 55
Down tube - 62

Image ImageImage

Lastly...there is the, what has been determined to be a Bennett. It has more brazeons than you can poke a stick at. But it is lighter than it looks. The front fork is a little unusual in design. And there it appears to have a lot of chrome under the paint. If someone wants it I will look for the rest of the headset. The dimensions are:
Seat tube - 56
Top tube - 54
Down tube - 59

Image Image Image

Oops...one more. This one is a rolling chassis. It was donated to me by friends of an old gentleman who could no longer ride. Apart from the wheels and the fact it has no brakes, it's in reasonable condition...even the cotter pins. The dimensions are:
Seat tube - 58
Top tube - 57
Down tube - 63

Image Image

I also have a a reasonably large collection of components and a few old mountain bike frames, a hybrid frame and some kids bikes outside, so if you want any of the above or just want to browse let me know. It will save me a trip.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:10 pm

DOH! I was just thinking of having a forum Garage Sale of my frame collection as well. I might put it on hold until the new year....

elk

Postby elk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:04 am

I know what you mean about ebay . A major pain in the behind . I recently sold a bike for 50 and the buyer wants me to organise shipping interstate . Forget it buster . It seems the world is awash with frames . My problem is finding suitable components to finish mine .