Malvern Star Bicycle

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Malvern Star Bicycle

Postby jackylegs » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi. Was wondering if any knowledgable cycle enthusiast could assist me in the quest to date this malvern star i recently picked up at a council roadside recycling day.I hope to restore this frame to it,s original paint scheme and would appreciate an input as to reproducing the hand painted pinstripe which features fairly heavily . Also any sources of decal transfer relating to the malvern star name. I,ve posted some photos of theframe in question , look forward to your feedback.[/u][/quote][/code][/list][/list]
jackylegs

by BNA » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:30 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:30 pm

G'Day Jacky, welcome outside.

Can't help with your quest, but I'll shift it over to the retro forum where you are more likely to find a guru. :wink:

BTW, you'll need a week in and 10+ posts before you can post images or links. Ask nicely and someone might be able to help you.

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jackylegs » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi Shaun. Thanks for your reply to my request for assistance in identifying my malvern star. My son and tried to post the photos but as your aware they were not sucessful. I am very keen to recieve some input into this particular bike as it,s very similar to a bike i was given by my cousin in early sixties. I was only about ten at the time and that bike was possibly 15 to 20 years old then. Although this bike i now have is complete bar wheels i,m thinking it is from the era where the steel 28 inch rims matched the colour scheme of the frame, as did my cousins hand me down. Maybe fitted with 3 speed stermy archer hub ? The original paintwork on my frame is by todays sta ndards an absolute work of art, much hand painting and pinstriping which i find very difficult to reproduce even being in the automotive refinishing business myself. I do not intend to strip this bike before extensively photographing and documenting such intricate brush detail.Not being a computer wizard i,d appreciate some guidence on how to post these pics regards Jackylegs
jackylegs

Postby Endo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Sounds like a great find! I've also ressurected an early 80s Malvern Star (and I love it!) Perhaps you should just retain the natural patina and clearcoat the lot to preserve and protect the frame? Pinstriping is an absolute art to master. The symmetry is amazing when done by someone who's got the skills... I seen some photos of people actually painting the pinstrips - they use a thin round brush (not chiseled) with the very long and fine bristles... and a bloody steady hand!
Endo

Return to Retro biking