Pursuit/Persuit(2 for 1) What do I have here?

nickobec

Re: Pursuit/Persuit(2 for 1) What do I have here?

Postby nickobec » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Stovepipe I am with brendan03 your frame does look like Ricardo Elite that brendan03, myself and a couple of others own. See Ricardo Appreciation Society thread

Mine came with a Tange Falcon headset, suntour dropouts, but not the original paint or any decals.

The serial number on the BB should be L#a#### where # is number and a is alpha

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:12 am

nickobec wrote:Stovepipe I am with brendan03 your frame does look like Ricardo Elite that brendan03, myself and a couple of others own. See Ricardo Appreciation Society thread

Mine came with a Tange Falcon headset, suntour dropouts, but not the original paint or any decals.

The serial number on the BB should be L#a#### where # is number and a is alpha
Mmmmm, after trawling that thread I Think you may be right.
I reckon it'll come down to the serial # as the clincher on this one.

Drumroll..........where are ya stovepipe?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:15 pm

brauluver wrote:
Drumroll..........where are ya stovepipe?
Hey buddy.. mine is ridden daily into Nth adelaide as a commuter.Happy to hook up for a comparo if you are in the CBD.

Dave

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Hmm yep mine doesnt seem to be quite of that ilk.
i've jsut got a simple no-lugwork rear brake bridge.
here's the serial #
here's a pic of it built up as a fixie

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 pm

No, that's the correct brake bridge for a Ricardo Elite. They were pretty reasonable quality bikes built to a price point. Frills bell or whistles? Forggeddaboutit.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:48 am

MMMM........looks like the Persuit decals are dodgy repro's maybe.
Oh well, if it's a nice frame to ride then it really doesn't matter too much what it's origins.

Pity though ,cos a real Pursuit is an awesome thing :mrgreen:

oldschoolfool

Postby oldschoolfool » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:43 am

I had a pursuit custom built for me in 1984. I was fitted up for it at Super Elliotts in Rundle Street in Adelaide, but I don't know where it was actually built. Only tubing options were Tange or Tange-2.

tier

Postby tier » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 am

From my research (because I have one), they also did them in Reynolds and Columbus.

oldschoolfool

Postby oldschoolfool » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:09 am

How can you tell? Did you have it built? OR Has it got stickers? Maybe yours is a later build, because I never had those options!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:07 am

oldschoolfool wrote:How can you tell? Did you have it built? OR Has it got stickers? Maybe yours is a later build, because I never had those options!
It's pretty clear there is quite a variation in what was offered, both across the line from cheapest to most expensive, and through the years, though there seems a common thread. From memory, and from seeing a lot of these bikes around over the yearsd, not to mention owning a number, that there is a common link, namely that they were sourced, and for the most part manufactured in Adelaide. More than that I can't say.

Here's a little supposition, a little fact, a little timeline. Feel free to add as you understand it, or names which you know...

Porshe 1976? ~ 1979? cheap nasty gaspipe 10 speeds, legal issues over name

Ricardo 1980? ~ differing models, from crap to moderately high end
John Abeni, Pulteney Street Cycles, Wayne Roberts (heard him named as a framebuilder)

Abeni 1980s?

Pursuit 1980s (later) ~ 1990s (early) both mass produced and custom, varying tubesets etc available, I've heard Wayne Roberts name associated with these. I have a Reynolds 531c custom made race bike (original paint, stickers, correct seattube diameter etc). I have never seen a 'Persuit' before and suspect that frame is a poorly refinished Ricardo Elite (as discussed).

thoughts, all?

Stovepipe

Postby Stovepipe » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:41 am

so what are everyone's verdicts on mine? ricardo elite? if so, what are the basic specs on those? tubing etc.

i do love it, just wondering whether my love should be redirected to the ricardo appreciation thread.

also, in this and that thread i havent seen any serial numbers like mine. that puts another twist in it.
other (possibly useless) info i forgot to add: 700c frame, sugino seatpostbolt, came with a 5spd suzue rear on an ambrosio19 super elite rim
thought the parts might give more hints to its original build

cheers

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Here's a link for you (also on the Ricardo thread) http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/Ricardo.Fixie.jpg

I'm almost certain yours is a Ricardo Elite; the only real difference is that mine had a welded boss for the downtube gear shifters (they sat 'above' the downtube rather than either side). The lack of it on yours is simply functional, meaning the frame might have been one of a batch made up to accomodate other components. The Sugino seatpost bolt means little, most of them were from that time. The wheels, if original, are a correct match, mine are 27inch not 700c. Other gear would have been (most likely) Sugino alloy cranks 52x40 (perhaps GT or BT), Suntour derailleurs, 6 speed screw on cluster and DiaCompe sidepull brakes, most likely exposed cable levers. Bars and seatpost, stem would have been SR or similar.

Stupidly, I don't recall if I ever noted the serial number of mine.

edit: couple more pix

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/Fixie.Rear.jpg

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/cracked!.jpg

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:15 pm

tier wrote:From my research (because I have one), they also did them in Reynolds and Columbus.
What tubes is yours tier

Pics please :wink:
oldschoolfool wrote:I had a pursuit custom built for me in 1984. I was fitted up for it at Super Elliotts in Rundle Street in Adelaide, but I don't know where it was actually built. Only tubing options were Tange or Tange-2.
Mine is an 89 custom build(for someone else) reynolds 531 and was specced with 105 groupset and mavic/campy rims.
Guy I bought it from said he had one from earlier in the 80's that was tange2, but was hit by a car.
Seen pics of a few others on the net that wer columbus as well.

Danbalam

Postby Danbalam » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi All,

My first post, I just wanted to share some thoughts.

I found this thread while digging for some info on a bike that I have. It's also badged as a "Persuit" with the same decals shown on Stovepipe's green bike earlier in the thread. However, unlike the green bike, mine has lugwork on the rear brake bridge. I know the former owner (owned it from new) and know that it was custom built at Super Elliotts in Adelaide circa late 70's/early 80s. It's Columbus SLX tubing and is stamped with "Cinelli" on the BB. The bike I have is close to completely original (no Suntour brake hoods, no Suntour quick release) but is primarily Suntour Superbe components.

I'm guessing the Persuit label was used exclusively by Super Elliotts around this time, as this thread seems to be the only Persuit mention I can find on the interwebs and they all seem to be from Adelaide!

The bike is about to go through a full strip and rebuild and I'm hoping I can find somewhere to get the decals reproduced to keep it as original as possible.