Re: SJH

Postby silverlight » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:13 am

that's fantastic....looks really super
silverlight

by BNA » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:24 pm

BNA

Postby vanbree » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Love the stem the lugs and the colours :)
vanbree

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:20 am

cludence wrote:This is a friends bike and it is believed it was renno'd by Jock Ross whilst he had the SJH store.

Just as a point of order, 'Jock Ross' did not own the SJH business.
It had been purchased from Hilsden by Alan [Allan?] Ross in 1949. It is believed, but without confirmation, that A. Ross was the father of Jock Ross & Jock may well have worked there, but he did not own the business, instead he bought, or opened, a shop of his own in Penrith & my new 1963 Speedwell Flash came from him as my stepfather was a friend of his since they rode together with the Penrith Cycle Club in the 1930's & 40's
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby wh0 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Gday, not too long ago in the scheme of things my dad died, he had a track frame, a road training frame & his road frame made (AT) SJH & I thought they were made by a chap name of Don Blackman. I know they were made to measure for the old feller as he rode pro in the 50's, looks like I'm going to have to go through some gear for a bit of background but perhaps someone else has a bit of info to straighten me out with...
wh0

Postby Johnj » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:45 pm

wh0 wrote:Gday, not too long ago in the scheme of things my dad died, he had a track frame, a road training frame & his road frame made (AT) SJH & I thought they were made by a chap name of Don Blackman.

Don Blackman had his own shop at 186 Liverpool Road, Ashfield and the bikes he produced were called Blackbirds. He was there from the 1930s (I believe) until at least 1970. I'm keenly interested in Blackman as his shop was not far from my house. PM me if you've got any pics you'd care to post.

John
Johnj

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:05 pm

PLANEIMAGES wrote:Does anyone have a full history of SJH cycles?

Well I guess that nobody knows the full history of SJH, although I thought I had a fair grip on it overall.
I was wrong.

Just when I thought that little or nothing more was to be learned about them, somebody does research in a related field & comes up with a wealth of knowledge.

This is the part that I knew nothing about. Instead I had believed that Hilsden [SJ Hilsden] opened the shop in 1929 & that his name was Sidney John. I even got the spelling of the surname wrong.

The following info from another thread will set the record straight.

Hillsdon Brothers (M)
Hillsdon Brothers, Auburn Road, Auburn, 1911-1920
Hillsdon Brothers, Sydney Road, Granville, 1911-1914
Hillsdon Brothers, 103 Church Street, Parramatta, 1916-1920
Hillsdon Brothers produced “Clyde” bicycles. About 1920 the Hillsdon Brothers partnership appears to have dissolved.
S.J. Hillsdon took over the Parramatta shop.

EDIT. Clyde is an 'industrial' or workers rail station & factory area adjacent to Granville. Locomotived & other rolling stock were made there as well as other heavy industries being located in the area. Aurburn was the next station along the line towards Sydney [Clyburn station was not a public use platform, workers only] so it would appear that the Clyde bicycle was named after the nearby geographic location. Even Parramatta is only a short 3 rail stations away from Clyde.

Hillsdon, J. (M)
Hillsdon, J. (John T.?), 129 Parramatta Road, Concord, 1924-1932

Hillsdon, S.J. (M)
Hillsdon, S.J. (Stanley John or Stanly James?), 103 Church Street, Parramatta, 1921-1932
The shop at 103 Church Street had been Hillsdon Brothers up to 1920. Builders of SJH cycles.

Number 103 Church St is close to the Great Western Highway intersection & I know that they were subsequently located just up the road [same side] in the general area of Number 129, then finally just across Church St somewhere close to Number 116 or 118.

A debt of gratitude is owed by me to Johnj for his research into the history of cycle makers in Sydney in the earliest years of the industry.
The detail on Carbine cycles is most revealing too.
Click here for an express ride to his thread.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.
Kid_Carbine

Postby wh0 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Johnj wrote:Don Blackman had his own shop at 186 Liverpool Road, Ashfield and the bikes he produced were called Blackbirds. He was there from the 1930s (I believe) until at least 1970. I'm keenly interested in Blackman as his shop was not far from my house. PM me if you've got any pics you'd care to post.
John

Ahhh yes my bad, should have gotten head into gear before posting, thx for the correction. We lived bit further out in the burbs but the old man always put his feet under the table at SJH, this i remember from being an impatient little turd in the 60s, anyway you have mail & sorry folks for the sidetracking/hyjacking of the thread.
wh0

Postby cludence » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:22 pm

When I am better organized I will get a pic of my SJH that I plan to fully restore.
It took a long wait and a lot of searching before I found one available.

Karen.
cludence

Postby cludence » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:16 pm

I met the nephew of Bob Jones (the last owner of SJH) today. Unfortunately he does not own a SJH and would like one.

I am bumping this post up in the hope there may be a stray SJH hanging around somewhere that someone may be willing to part with. Failing that, should someone see one, then they will have this fresh in their memory. :)

It would be nice to see one go back to the family.

Any offers?
cludence

Re: Background on Pascoe Cycles

Postby 1980s Road Cyclist » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Regarding more information on Pascoe Cycles.

The original owner who based the business in Willoughby Road, Crows Nest, sold it in the 1980s to 3 partners, who continued trading as Pascoe Cycles in Ridge Street, North Sydney.
Patrick and Steve who were both Road Cyclists at Northern Suburbs and Stuart who was more of a silent partner.

Patrick is now overseas. Steve (Wickham) ex Nthn Suburbs is probably the one who know most about the history of Kevin Pascoe and how to track down more information from their era and earlier.

Pascoe catered to the growing road cycling and triathlon fraternity in the 80s and focused on putting together custom bikes, with Oz or Euro Frames and assembly of Euro or Japanese group sets and built up wheels.

They ran out of steam in the 90s.

A number of us trained with these guys and raced with them at Northen Suburbs at Warriewood and Duffys Forest.

I still have a Pascoe from circa 1983. It has a Jim Bundy Frame, Shimano 600 Gear, Campag Hubs, Mavic Rims (Singles for racing and HP for training). It is still under the house.

I was at uni at the time and saved myself some money by building up the wheels myself.

I used to work in the shop on the odd day and join Patrick for the ride back up the Pacific Highway to get home.

The recent TdF has prompted a group of us to get off our butts and ride again. I think I will leave the Pascoe and buy a modern bike to roll around on.

Cheers, 1980s Road Cyclist.
1980s Road Cyclist

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:35 pm

cludence wrote:This is a friends bike and it is believed it was renno'd by Jock Ross whilst he had the SJH store. Whether it was orginally a SJH made frame, I am not sure. Either way, it is definately stunning.

Wow! That is very nice.... Karen, you know all the best people!
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby parrapark » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Sid Hopkins was the SJH framebuilder, as afar as I'm aware. A couple of longstanding cycling vets, the Massard brothers Bill and Kevin, would know the details I reckon. Bill had Sid build a couple of new frames for him in the late 80's. Your best bet for contacting Bill would be through Auburn Lidcombe Cycling club
parrapark

Postby daripper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 pm

cludence wrote:This is a friends bike and it is believed it was renno'd by Jock Ross whilst he had the SJH store. Whether it was orginally a SJH made frame, I am not sure. Either way, it is definately stunning.

I love the stem!

Wow.... what a bike !!! Jock Ross is my Grandfather.... and its Great to see that some of his bikes or possibly my Great Grandfather Alan are still around.

I stumbled upon this site trying to dig up some family history, I will take some notes down from this thread and ring my Grandmother to see if I can add anything of substance. I'm actually into collecting Pre 85 BMX bikes and I actually know Chris ...."Kid Carbine".

I realise that this is just my first post... but I would be really interested in getting a ROSS SPECIAL bike, or even just Frame and Fork combo so hang on my walll as a momento to my Grandfather. When my uncles Alan and Mark sold the shops, during the 90's, they kept very little, in fact nothing to show the History that our family has in Road Racing and the Bicycle Industry in general and I would like to uncover some of this if possible.
daripper

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 am

Johnj wrote:
wh0 wrote:Gday, not too long ago in the scheme of things my dad died, he had a track frame, a road training frame & his road frame made (AT) SJH & I thought they were made by a chap name of Don Blackman.

Don Blackman had his own shop at 186 Liverpool Road, Ashfield and the bikes he produced were called Blackbirds. He was there from the 1930s (I believe) until at least 1970. I'm keenly interested in Blackman as his shop was not far from my house. PM me if you've got any pics you'd care to post.

John

My dad aged 90 now, and his brothers lost their father to a heart condition when they were just toddlers. They ended up as teenagers living at Bankstown not far from Blackman's shop. Don Blackman was a kind soul and took the boys under his wing, helped them out with bikes, and became a father figure to them. They used to meet up at Blackos shop after work each day and hang out. My dad and his brothers eventually all won big races like the Goulburn to Sydney and were top notch cyclists in the 50's. My uncle became a Pro sixdayman in Europe and won 2 world madison titles and 16 six day races. He met kings and popes but says of Don Blackman, he was the greatest human being he ever met. My dad says the same.
I have a photo of my uncle on his Blackbird. Not sure I want to post it on the internet. I have something else in mind for it.

By the way, I also have a 1930's SJH track bike with major Taylor stem, bars and sliding seatpost. I might put some pics up here when I get a chance.

Cheers,
DD
Derny Driver

Re: SJH. This guy was my dear Uncle

Postby Anniembee » Wed May 29, 2013 10:02 pm

In case anyone on this listing is still in the land of the living, I could possibly add some info to the topic. My great-Uncle was SJH : Stanley James Hillsdon. Stanley James Hillsdon was born on the 9th June, 1893. His parents were English, but Stan, one of six children, was born at Luddenham near Penrith in 1893. He was a well known identity in the Auburn, Granville, Guildford + Parramatta districts for over sixty years, manufacturing the S.J.H. cycles + owning a cycle shop in Church Street, Parramatta. Later manufacturing wheel toys + then transport buses and coaches at his factory, Cycle Components Manufacturing Company in Marion Street, Guildford.

He was a keen cycle enthusiast + rode in many races including the Goulburn to Sydney races.

He was a brother to the late Wal (Walter) Hillsdon, founder of Hillsdons Pty.Ltd., Parramatta. Stan retired from business in1964 and passed away in 1978.

I had an SJH tricycle, a bicycle, and I used to help make the bikes in our school holidays for a few pence. Well, we put spokes in wheels for pocket money!

I could look up more info if anyone is interested as I have a bit of the history.

All the best & happy cycling! Annieb
Anniembee

Previous

Return to Retro biking