My Find Peugeot Izoard

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

My Find Peugeot Izoard

Postby crog » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi all,

I stumbled across a Peugot Izoard on my rounds today and it is difficult to comprehend what people will throw out.

The bike whilst dirty had no rust no significant scratches, the gears worked and wheels were true and I love the paint job, All it needs is a strip and re build and I think it will be as good as new.

Anyway I cant find to much info here is what I can discern

Frame is labelled "Made in France" and has a stiker "Mangalloy HLE", stem and seat post are Sakae alloy, rims are Mavic and it is a 14 speed running RX100 group set

Whilst this photo is not mine it is the same colour scheme, rims and group set. Not really sure what I will do with it, it is my size but I will clean it up and maybe give it to one of the bike charities or keep it as spare

Anbody know anything about this model, will post pics when I get camera from work

EDIT : Better pic, exactly same model as I found including Time pedals and Rolls Saddle. This is what it will look like when I finish her
Last edited by crog on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crog

by BNA » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:52 pm

BNA

Postby kukamunga » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Nice looking bike. Charity schmarity. Keep it, or give it to someone needy here!
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby crog » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Ok some updates which may aid people, I had another look today

Frame is "HLE Mangalloy" with french flag on downd tube. It also says Peugeot cycles computer design cad on the top tube. Finally it also says direct brazing system on the down tube. By the way HLE I have researched stands for"Haute Limite Elastique"

It also appears to have a Rolls saddle which is white and supplied.

Will definately post some pics but anybody know about this HLE Mangalloy frame is it good, bad otherwise??

ANybody know where I could find a catalog or similar for tis bike??
crog

Postby tomns » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Sounds like a similar version to my Iseran named after a mountain just like your Izorad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Col_d%27Izoard

Probably have a 12-25 cog on it and run shimano biopace with exage brakes and hubs.

I have 2 of these old bikes, 1 I run as my main commuter and another i have made into a fixie. They usually have odd sized seat posts so it was a good thing you found it all in one piece.

Not sure where yours sits in model range, I think my Iseran is nearly a base model, they are lovely frames to ride, I find them comfortable and fairly finely made, not too clunky, they are internally brazed well mine is. BB should be english thread.

I got mine in 1995 and am about to strip it down and paint it, give her a technology update change to ultegra or similar shifters and RD etc.

Hope you enjoy it

Tom
Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif
tomns

Postby tomns » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Peugeot Iseran - Geared Bike
Peugeot Versailles - Fixie
Peugeot U08 - Poser
Repco Nishiki - Single Speed
http://www.yehudamoon.com/images/strips/2008-03-29.gif
tomns

Postby crog » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks Tomns,

No exage, Brakes are RX100 as is front derailuer. Chain ring looks biopace as sticker is off

From looking at what you mentioned it appears to be a well made frame and certainly has clear lines due to internal brazing. As mentioned I think the paint job is pretty good but it needs a good clean andd degrease but as mentioned it changes gears well and brakes well being a full RX100 group set which appears at first glance to operate well although I think a new headset may be in order if I cant tighten current one

I really like the colour scheme and now it is just a decision as to what I will do with it, I am thinking as the Mavic rims are in great nick I will try to restore using NOS where required throw some new tyresat it and keep it as a 14 speed

Unfortunately it may have to sit idle for a while as I do not have my tools here in Sydney to fully rebuild but we will see somebody may be able to help

Will as obviously detail my build here
crog

Postby ausdb » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:08 am

There is nothing wrong with RX100 it was pretty much the same as 105 of the same era except the clear coat finish not anodised. this bike had a full RX100 set on it when I picked it up at the side of the road (well 95% as the rear derailluer was only half there :) ). The hubs and brakes are still going strong aprt from ne bearings ,comes and brakeblocks. The rest of the drivetrain went when I converted to compact cranks and sti shifting.
ausdb

Postby lemmiwinks » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:08 pm

It sounds dreadful. That HLE tubing is probably very dangerous, I'll take it off your hands and see to it that this bike harms no one. It's the least I can do.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC
lemmiwinks

Postby crog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:48 pm

OK here are pics, after a quick clean witrh rag I am really suprised somebody would throw this away, it had a glue gunk like sap all over it but some WD and a cloth got through it.

I really like the paint job and internal cable routing through the top tube and Rims

Obviously I will fully strip, regrease and rebuild but I do not see much it will require as wheels are true ears work and I dont think it has done to many k's as tyres are Michelins made in france and come up brand new

Full 7 speed RX100 group set (FR, RD, Hubs, Brakes, Cranks)
Michelin Tyres
Mavic Rims
Sakae Stem, bars and seatpost

Gives you an idea of condition found in

After quick 30 min wip over, air in tyres, quick adjustment of headset and cables results are

Last edited by crog on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crog

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm

that's come up a real treat, well done mate, enjoy her to her full extent!
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby crog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm

that's come up a real treat, well done mate, enjoy her to her full extent!

Yeah really happy, as I said result of 30min with rag and wd 40. Still alot of gunk on the frame and bits but when I strip it down and give it a good polish and lube it should it should come up a treat

Time pedals need to go and I have some blue "Geromister?" Shimano team pedals which will go on and match it, other thing will probably change the headset, this one appears plastic coated and a little loose.

As they say some peoples junk :D
crog

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 pm

About the Time pedals.......Do you know anyone who wants a pair of them? (make that a couple of people if your going to be trying to offload yours too)

I have some sitting in my garage doing nothing....... :roll:
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

stupid computer
Last edited by Lark2004 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

froze up and did weird stuff while I wasn't looking....... :evil:
Last edited by Lark2004 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Lark2004

Postby crog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 pm

About the Time pedals.......Do you know anyone who wants a pair of them? (make that a couple of people if your going to be trying to offload yours too)

Free to good home pair of old time pedals, not even sure they work but I would guess they would date around early 90's

PM me.
crog

Postby brauluver » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:03 pm

wow ,that's a new bike you've got there.Good find man.
wack it on the scales and see where it fits in the scheme of things steel bike wise.
brauluver

Postby crog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:20 pm

wow ,that's a new bike you've got there.Good find man.

I know real happy. I really think it has sat in a garage or somewhere for a long time and was not really ridden because, the tyres I think are original as they are old style Michelins and french made as is the bike and still have all thier tread, the chain guard does not appear to have any damage, and brake pads and wrap on the bars appears not to be worn.

As I mentioned earlier it is only this sappy gunk all over it which brings it down and you can still see in some of the picks particuarily on the cables. There are no scratches and I am looking forward to stripping right down and cleaning properly then I will post a pic but a great find and will be added to the stable
crog

Re: My Find Peugeot Izoard

Postby Devery » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 pm

crog wrote:and I love the paint job, All it needs is a strip and re build and I think it will be as good as new.

I love the paint too. I think you've done a great job, hope you enjoy it. If I saw someone riding this bike I'd stop and look :)
Devery

Postby kukamunga » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Similar to this 'Aubisque' I picked up and passed on last year.....
Image Image Image Image
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby drubie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:12 am

What, no lugs? Are those frames tig welded? Or are they internally lugged somehow?

I can j-u-s-t make out a little welding on the front fork of the Izoard, but there's nothing on the other frame joins. How are they held together?
drubie

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 am

crog wrote:Free to good home pair of old time pedals, not even sure they work but I would guess they would date around early 90's

That really is a very pretty bike crog, good find.

I know nothing about clipless pedals and the appropriate shoes/cleats but the peer pressure is there to start using them so can someone tell me what shoes and/or cleats work with these "time" pedals please?
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC
lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:29 am

drubie wrote:What, no lugs? Are those frames tig welded? Or are they internally lugged somehow?

I can j-u-s-t make out a little welding on the front fork of the Izoard, but there's nothing on the other frame joins. How are they held together?

Fillet brazed would be my guess.
lemmiwinks

Postby crog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

What, no lugs? Are those frames tig welded? Or are they internally lugged somehow?

Refer to the link provided by Tomns internally brazed

http://www.cyclespeugeot.com/images/1989_Peugeot_12.jpg
crog

Postby drubie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 am

lemmiwinks wrote:
crog wrote:Free to good home pair of old time pedals, not even sure they work but I would guess they would date around early 90's

That really is a very pretty bike crog, good find.

I know nothing about clipless pedals and the appropriate shoes/cleats but the peer pressure is there to start using them so can someone tell me what shoes and/or cleats work with these "time" pedals please?

Pretty much any shoe from Shimano that has three screw flanges in the bottom will work - they usually have enough different screw holes in the bottom to cater for look/shimano SPD/Time cleats, AFAIK time/look cleats are different, but the screw spacing is almost identical (as is the older Shimano SPD-R). Not sure about SPD-SL, I think they are a very similar spacing.

I have a set of SPD mountain bike style pedals somewhere (might be at a friends house) with new cleats if you want to try those instead - I think they're a little easier than the Time ones for a beginner (you just stomp on these) - plus whatever shoes you buy will suit Look or SPD-SL or Time or whatever you buy.

Let me know if you want them. The shoes will be an expense though.
drubie

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am

drubie wrote:Pretty much any shoe from Shimano that has three screw flanges in the bottom will work - they usually have enough different screw holes in the bottom to cater for look/shimano SPD/Time cleats, AFAIK time/look cleats are different, but the screw spacing is almost identical (as is the older Shimano SPD-R). Not sure about SPD-SL, I think they are a very similar spacing.

I have a set of SPD mountain bike style pedals somewhere (might be at a friends house) with new cleats if you want to try those instead - I think they're a little easier than the Time ones for a beginner (you just stomp on these) - plus whatever shoes you buy will suit Look or SPD-SL or Time or whatever you buy.

Let me know if you want them. The shoes will be an expense though.

So just so I'm clear (sorry but I'm a bit dull). The cleats are the bits that go on the bottom of the shoe and make them clip into the pedals. The cleats must match the pedal (straightforward enough) and most brands/types of cleats will attach to most brands/types of shoes?

How do you get into time pedals? I thought it was the same for all of them - you just put your foot on sort of toe first then press down and they clip in.

Thanks for the offer drubie, I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry for the hijack crog :oops:
lemmiwinks

Next

Return to Retro biking