My Find Peugeot Izoard

tobyt

Postby tobyt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:03 am

crog wrote:
About the Time pedals.......Do you know anyone who wants a pair of them? (make that a couple of people if your going to be trying to offload yours too)
Free to good home pair of old time pedals, not even sure they work but I would guess they would date around early 90's

PM me.
PM SENT

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:17 am

lemmiwinks wrote:I thought it was the same for all of them - you just put your foot on sort of toe first then press down and they clip in.
Thats the modus operandi of cleats, but there are different types. They dont all inter-connect.

Previous discussion here.

Nice find on the Izoard. I hope people start throwing out better quality rubbish next clean up near my joint. All I see is crud.

Jim

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 am

lemmiwinks wrote:
So just so I'm clear (sorry but I'm a bit dull). The cleats are the bits that go on the bottom of the shoe and make them clip into the pedals. The cleats must match the pedal (straightforward enough) and most brands/types of cleats will attach to most brands/types of shoes?

How do you get into time pedals? I thought it was the same for all of them - you just put your foot on sort of toe first then press down and they clip in.

Thanks for the offer drubie, I'll keep it in mind.

Sorry for the hijack crog :oops:
Yes - the cleats attach to the shoe. The road oriented pedals are usually weighted so that they sit nose up - you sort of catch the nose of the pedal with the nose of the cleat and then push down at the back.

The SPD mountain bike pedals are slightly different in that the cleat is a tiny metal diamond thing rather than a large-ish delta shaped plastic thing. The SPD pedal doesn't have a distinct nose on it, you just sort of stomp downwards rather than catch-shove. They all release the same way (flick out your heel). I reckon the SPD is a good beginner pedal as it doesn't require much finesse to engage and is easier to disengage, and is double sided as well.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am

Familyguy, thanks for the link. Drubie, thanks for the info, much to absorb from both sources.

I'm actually perfectly happy with my crummy pedals and their straps and plastic toe clips but everyone keeps telling me clipless pedals are the go. They said the same thing about lycra shorts and they were right so I suppose I should listen here too.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:44 pm

If I remember correctly, with these OLD Time pedals, you would need an addaptor plate to make them work with a Look compatible shoe.

They used two cleats per shoe, a front and a back.....and the Time shoes that were made to fit them back then had four holes.....two at the front and two at the back. Cleats for these pedals are getting hard to find these days. This is the reason I have a pair of these pedals sitting in my garage doing nothing......
Andrew

crog

Postby crog » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Spent an hour on the bike today and actually took it for a ride and it is smooth.

Unbelieveable that somebody would throw out a almost new condition bike because it was dirty. Due to sh*t camera details are not good in picks but not a scratch on the brake levers or any of the derailuers. It is all RX100 but groupset has it has a white finish to match bike which masks the decals on the derailuers and shifters somewhat.

Enjoy. Will likely spend some more time on it this weekend changing cables and pedals but current staus is below. :D :D

P.S headset was abit loose in these pics

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 pm

crog wrote:Unbelieveable that somebody would throw out a almost new condition bike because it was dirty.
Great find. Such a nice bike! On the other hand it is embarrassing we live in such a wasteful society that would discard such a nice bike. I am so glad you rescued it.

Congrats and well done.
<removed by request>

tombuck

Postby tombuck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Lovely find. Whereabouts did you grab it? A friend told me he saw something similar and when he returned to check it out it was gone :shock:.

crog

Postby crog » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:02 pm

Lovely find. Whereabouts did you grab it? A friend told me he saw something similar and when he returned to check it out it was gone
It never made the street in the apartment complex in Pyrmont where I live I was in the basement washing and re lubing the trek city bike and a bloke out the frame and wheels out and threw them on the heap ready for garbage collection

I looked at it quickly enquired if he cared I took it as I was at first going to make a single speed out of it but once I got it to my garage and attacked all the sap like dirt on it with WD40 I realised that about all that was wrong with it was it needed a clean, lube and some bits tightened as had hardly been ridden, you only need to check wear on cassette, brake pads and rims to know it sat in tha back of a shed somewhere for a long time.

Suffice to say some ones junk is my treasure. although I am scared to show it to the bloke who threw it out he may want it back.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:32 pm

If he said that you can have it, then it is a "gift", and legally its yours.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

DarrylH

Re: My Find Peugeot Izoard

Postby DarrylH » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:26 pm

I picked up an Izoard last year. Was bought by friends son for triathlons but was soon upgraded and remained in her garage until she gave it to me last year. Came with all original gear except bar tape had been changed to purple. Included Scott tri bars, Vetta computer, Zerfas white pump and purple bottle cage. Bloke was a real colour co-ordinator! Even the tyre have a tinge of "celeste" in the sidewalls. Ihave now done about 800kms on it and have just given it a complete re-build. From a 93 buyers guide that I have the Peugeot range was;
Aubisque $540
Tourmalet $661
Izoard $1071
Altus $1245
Perthus $2088

$1071 sounds a lot for this bike but perhaps the dollar was low in 93.

DarrylH

crog

Postby crog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 pm

. From a 93 buyers guide that I have the Peugeot range was;
Aubisque $540
Tourmalet $661
Izoard $1071
Altus $1245
Perthus $2088

$1071 sounds a lot for this bike but perhaps the dollar was low in 93.
hey Darryl any chance of getting a copy of that catalog.

Che

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:10 pm

It is a buyers guide in a Cycling World magazine - no pictures but does list the equipment on all road and mountain bikes on sale at the time. It should scan OK - will give it a try. Road bikes take up 9 pages. Let me know how you want it delivered if still interested.

DarrylH

antonyfromoz

Postby antonyfromoz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi all,

I had a Peugeot Izoard in the 90's which i bought second hand ($400) and then installed some Look pedals, tri bars and Mavic CXP 30 wheels. I used it for some triathlons and it took me on the Around The Bay in a Day ride twice. It was a comfortable and capable bike that I enjoyed a lot.

xrdavo

Postby xrdavo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 am

Great score Crog. I've got an Izoard too. Bought it new in 1992 for $860.00. Mine is all purple kind of pale lavender on the top tube and fading to dark purple at the bottom. Paint scheme is probably the main reason I bought it. Has the same RX 100 group set with the white pearl finish also. I've never seen this except on these '90's Peugeots. Great bikes enjoy your new ride man.

Hey does anyone know if the RX 100 white rubber brake hoods are still available? Mine are are really dirty and starting to deteriorate. Have done some internet searches but no luck.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:29 am

xrdavo wrote:Great score Crog. I've got an Izoard too. Bought it new in 1992 for $860.00. Mine is all purple kind of pale lavender on the top tube and fading to dark purple at the bottom. Paint scheme is probably the main reason I bought it. Has the same RX 100 group set with the white pearl finish also. I've never seen this except on these '90's Peugeots. Great bikes enjoy your new ride man.

Hey does anyone know if the RX 100 white rubber brake hoods are still available? Mine are are really dirty and starting to deteriorate. Have done some internet searches but no luck.
Warning: upcoming topic hijack.

Tried Yellow Jersey? Definitely send them an email.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

xrdavo

Postby xrdavo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:02 am

Warning: upcoming topic hijack.

Tried Yellow Jersey? Definitely send them an email.[/quote]

Thanks for the lead there Valley Forge. I'll give them a go. Are they the ones in NYC? Sorry about the hijack again.

Hey Crog just looked at your Izoard pics again. Definitely hasn't seen much use. You can see the Mavic rims brake surface is solid black finish. My rims wore to the silver alloy a couple of months after new. Still mind boggling to me someone would throw this out. Keep the original Rolls saddle on it too...so comfy.

crog

Postby crog » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Finished item again from bike gallery. may be looking to offload as another kid on way and loosing office any idea what its worth??

Did not need much, new cables, new cranks but kept original rings, new pedals, had both rims relaced with DT spokes by Bundy's cycles in NSW

Anyway here is pic

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Great find crog, you could almost say it was NOS ( NEW OLD STOCK ) :)

crohne

Postby crohne » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:51 pm

Where did the white cranks go??? They went with the seat and bars real well. I wouldn't mind taking them off your hands if they're still good :) Nice bike though I recently bought an old kojima which I'm cleaning up and hope to get powdercoated soon (not a fan of the current paint job).

crog

Postby crog » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:17 am

Where abouts is Jim's store?
One of the white cranks had a crack where they fixed to the botton bracket and I think this is why it was never really ridden.

Had to replace. Sorry they have gone to god

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Picked this up in the hard rubbish today, a bit worried about the rust in the top tube but love the durace head stem. Where does 501 rate in the reynolds tube line up ?

sixx

Postby sixx » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:08 pm

Can't believe someone threw that out Vanbree.
Nice score.