Help with Speedwell indentification

austy37

Help with Speedwell indentification

Postby austy37 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 am

Hey, just pick up this speedwell at the local tip. Its painted in a navy blue ?house paint. Scrubbed it back today and its revealed some 'speedwell' logos, with some ?world cup stripes. And i think a white S painted on the head tube. Dont know why anyone would paint over the nice origninal paint, looked like a nice red. It has pretty relaxed angles and some braze-ons so i dont think its a track bike.maybe a roadster? But it did come with a flip/flop hub (SIW japan) is all thats written on it. Has brakes, i think maybe this very installed later. Image

lemmiwinks

Re: Help with Speedwell indentification

Postby lemmiwinks » Wed May 06, 2009 12:03 pm

:shock: Where do you live? I am coming to raid the tip!
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 pm

lemmiwinks wrote::shock: Where do you live? I am coming to raid the tip!
You me and everyone else on here :shock:

cept for Kuka, he already has enough bikes :wink:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed May 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Good score. You have an early one there. Is there a frame number anywhere?

Karen.

austy37

Postby austy37 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:42 pm

i couldnt see a number, nothing stamped under the bb or anything, where would be a good place to look?

austy37

Postby austy37 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:47 pm

just had another look, had HEAPS of thich paint/grease under the BB, but it revealed D 4043

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Interesting... I'm sure there are a few Speedwell gurus watching but here are some points that leap out at me.

The frame is probably pre-war as it has the squarish bearing retainer moulding on the head lugs. Its all brazed up which places it probably in the Thirties/Forties
The Forks are not original, probably off a Raleigh. The top headset fittings are also not original.
Some-one's given the rear dropouts a hard time :( They look like they have been spread to take a modern round axle instead of the older type of axle with flats on the axle (which would be a smaller diameter esp'y across the flats)
The two snail washers that fit over the rear axle that are used to adjust the chain tension are missing. Probably got tossed with original hub as they would not have fitted on the current one (no flats)
Those brazed on mudguard eyes are very uncommon in Australia. Common on 20's-50's British frames but I've seen only a couple of frames fitted with these in Oz.
What's that funny braze-on for on the seat tube? Could be for an oiler fitting or maybe a chainguard? Possibly (unlikely but possible) it's braze-on fitting for an early 'suicide' front changer?
Nice chainring and cranks! :)

Nice find but gonna need some work. Several unusual features like that braze-on. Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers
Richard

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed May 06, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm no expert but the headtube is what stands out to me. It is identical to the olympic model. I am sure others used same lugs though because as I type, I am remembering that I have a speedwell royal with the same headtube so may it is the same.

I am currently waiting to hear back from a friend regarding the frame number. He built speedwells around this time and though not fully versed on all the numbering, he is familiar with the lettering and what models used what.

Hopefully it might shed some light.

Karen.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed May 06, 2009 1:25 pm

cludence wrote:I'm no expert but the headtube is what stands out to me. It is identical to the olympic model. I am sure others used same lugs though because as I type, I am remembering that I have a speedwell royal with the same headtube so may it is the same.

I am currently waiting to hear back from a friend regarding the frame number. He built speedwells around this time and though not fully versed on all the numbering, he is familiar with the lettering and what models used what.

Hopefully it might shed some light.

Karen.
Karen if this chap has ANY idea on the numbering system PLEASE write it down and post it. All info on the Speedwell numbering system is really needed, even if incomplete as it can maybe later be pieced together with other info. The number is very similar to my pre-war Speedwell which is a 'D' with four numbers
In keen anticipation
Cheers
Richard

austy37

Postby austy37 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:31 pm

thanks for a ll the help guys, i am carefully taking the old paint off thte forks, seem to be the same red as the frame, maybe with an 'S' on them, written in white similar to the head tube, but not sure as the paint poor on both sides. Although the above poster thinks maybe raleigh forks, so maybe its a R? who knows.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:15 pm

its probbaly about '31/32 ish, as to if its a Olympic or not its a bit too far gone to tell, chrome lugs and fork ends would be a pointer (but I would guess not all were chromed especially WW2 ear bikes) but thats a repaint and the forks do not belong. I have documented "D" prefix bikes from that era that are roadster and Olympic so I dont think the serial (at this time) will tell anyone much. It is a towards the better end of the catalogue but what it was I dont know, look for traces of original paint around the head tube, olympics have 3 colours plus frame colour there, look for signs of chrome , but if its been blasted you up the creek.....Correct forks will be VERY hard to find for a upper end Speedwell from the thirtees.(none of the components are original to the frame)
Roger

austy37

Postby austy37 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:34 pm

didnt find any chrome on the forks, just more of the same red paint with some nice white stripes down the sides, the stays are almost down to the bare metal, but are red colour too. thanks for doing all the homework.
next question is what do i do with it now? strip it? it rides great as is. any ideas?

cludence

Postby cludence » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Unfortunately I am unable to offer any further information. From what I was told "o" was often used for Olympic models and "g" for general ones. My friend said other lettering could have been used but that is all he can recall. Unfortunately the other person who knew now has dementia. He does not know of anyone still alive that was involved with building them that would recall.. :(

Karen.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu May 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Those handle-bars might not be original, they do look like the classic "moustache" handle-bars, precursors to the modern drop bars. I think that this IS a sort of track/racing bicycle, somewhat like this from il padrone.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/ful ... 6151JFrUyi

I think that you would have fun with this bicycle
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 08, 2009 11:21 am

austy37 wrote:didnt find any chrome on the forks, just more of the same red paint with some nice white stripes down the sides, the stays are almost down to the bare metal, but are red colour too. thanks for doing all the homework.
next question is what do i do with it now? strip it? it rides great as is. any ideas?
This thread from a while back might help you out, it also has a picture of my 1930's Speedwell racer

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... ll#p111937

<edit>
Also this thread which has before and after pics of my 'Victory' 30's bike which was kept totally original but made roadworthy.

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5893

two different ways to go, both fun!

Cheers
Richard

austy37

Postby austy37 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:14 pm

again THANKS for all the homework everyone has done, great job team!!! :D
anyone got any ideas on what do do next? ie do i strip it back and start againm or is there a way of preserving any of the history?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat May 09, 2009 12:35 am

You can always get it re-done in original colour scheme. Some bloke named Greg does re-production decals which might suit your needs. I need to find his contact - don't know where I've put it!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:40 pm

hartleymartin wrote:You can always get it re-done in original colour scheme. Some bloke named Greg does re-production decals which might suit your needs. I need to find his contact - don't know where I've put it!
unfortunately at the moment he only does a late '60's style decal set, he can be found at cyclemondo on Ebay
Roger